living in Sharjah

Old May 16th 2005, 10:04 am
slu
Just Joined

slu is on a distinguished road
Default living in Sharjah

I have just found this site, and although it seems mainly concerned with Dubai, I wondered if anyone could help me with facts about Sharjah.

I have just been offered a job in sharjah for a couple of years. the salary seems fine, but the accomodation allowance is for Dh 30.000. Although I will be there by myself, my children intend to visit on a regular basis, so I was assuming that I would hire a villa, or at least an appartment with 3 bedrooms. Do you know how far this allowance will go in Sharjah? I am a single woman, so will want somewhere ok to live.
Thanks
Sue
Old May 16th 2005, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Re: living in Sharjah

Originally Posted by slu
I have just found this site, and although it seems mainly concerned with Dubai, I wondered if anyone could help me with facts about Sharjah.

I have just been offered a job in sharjah for a couple of years. the salary seems fine, but the accomodation allowance is for Dh 30.000. Although I will be there by myself, my children intend to visit on a regular basis, so I was assuming that I would hire a villa, or at least an appartment with 3 bedrooms. Do you know how far this allowance will go in Sharjah? I am a single woman, so will want somewhere ok to live.
Thanks
Sue
When you said salary is fine, did you mean that the accomodation allowance was included within this? 30k AED might not even go that far in Sharjah now. For example my 3 bed has gone upto 80k, in Sharjah, I am just opposite the Sahara Centre. There are some other buildings nearby and you may be able to pick up a 2 bed for around 50k.

I'm sure you'll be able to get cheaper deeper in Sharjah, but I wouldn't recommend going any deeper, especially if you're coming without your husband and kids. My wife feels very uncomfotable because all the men tend to stare. But she feels a bit more comfortable in Dubai.

Hope this helps.
Old May 16th 2005, 11:06 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site. I think you may struggle a bit with 30k but this might help you get an idea on prices, just go to the propery section and you shoudl get some idea on prices:

Gulf News Classifieds

These are today classifieds and I haven't had a chance to have a look but good luck...
Old May 16th 2005, 12:16 pm
slu
Just Joined

Thanks for your help. The Dh 30,000 is on top of the salary, which makes it easier. But,having looked at the ads, I guess I am looking at nearer the Dh80,000 mark. to rent something bigger than 2 bedrooms.

I imagine that I will be put up in a hotel for the first month, and that will hopefully give me time to fine somewhere,buy a car, take the driving test etc etc!

My starting date for the job is the Ist November, so I will no doubt be asking many questions on this site before then. It's a bit difficult planning at the moment, as the job I am taking is new, and I will be on my own working for the Ruler's Office, so there's no predecessor I can ask advice from.Sue
Old May 16th 2005, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by slu

Thanks
Sue

Welcome to the site Sue
I also live and work in Sharjah since 4 years.
Nowadays,AED30,000 will get you an(OK) single bedroom flat in a new building.If you want to get a 3 bedroom apartment,prices begin at AED27-28,000 for a somewhat old building in a so-so neighbourhood up until AED70-80,000 for a good 3 bedroom apartment.Since you will be working inside Sharjah and will not be affected by the nightmare that is the Dubai-Sharjah road,you can rent in places like Al Taawun/Al Khan which is on the left side coming in from Dubai,or the Nahda area which is complimented by Majjs residence(salute )or you can get a little more into the heart of Sharjah,have a house with a great view of the Khalid Lagoon on Buhaira Corniche(In this case,it is always advisable to rent from the higher floors as traffic noise will be heard almost round-the-clock).
As for the villas in Sharjah,for a fairly new 3 bedroom Villa,prices start from AED50,000 up until AED80-90,000.And as far as I know,the villas are located in areas that are more or less near the place that you would be working.
Alternatively,you can call Betterhomes,they are very professional and their offerings are top notch,with a superior service.
By the way,yesterday I saw an ad on a board on a villa compound entrance,when I pass through there in the following days I will happily send you their number.
But a word of advice,if you will be living with your family it is OK to get a villa,but if you will be alone most of the time,it is advisable to get an apartment for the added security.
Good luck
SS
Old May 16th 2005, 1:55 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slu
I imagine that I will be put up in a hotel for the first month, and that will hopefully give me time to fine somewhere,buy a car, take the driving test etc etc!
Don't imagine - make sure!

Seriously, make 100% sure that you've got everything in writing, so you know exactly where you stand about everything. Many companies only offer 2 weeks in a hotel, for example.

Also, don't underestimate the time it takes to get residency, because without residency you won't be able to rent a property in your own name or get a car loan or get a Dubai driving licence etc.

I work in DMC, which is a free zone and hence not constrained by as much red tape as exists elsewhere in the UAE. One of the biggest advantages is that FZ companies can get your residency processed very quickly; I was an official resident a week after getting off the plane and didn't have to do any running around myself (apart from going for the medical test)... but if you're outside a free zone, your mileage may vary considerably. I've heard of people having to wait over a month for their residency to be approved.

Last edited by Eeyore; May 16th 2005 at 2:01 pm.
Old May 17th 2005, 11:10 am
slu
Just Joined

Again thank you for this. It's clear that I need to get clarification on a number of issues, including how to get residency etc.

I am begining to realise how much easier it would be working for a company rather than going in on my own. I shall no doubt be a regular visitor to this site!
Old May 17th 2005, 11:11 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slu
Again thank you for this. It's clear that I need to get clarification on a number of issues, including how to get residency etc.

I am begining to realise how much easier it would be working for a company rather than going in on my own. I shall no doubt be a regular visitor to this site!
and you are always more than welcome !
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Cecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant future

I am also moving to Sharjah with my 2 children (aged 14 and 8). My husband will be continuing to work in Australia. Can you provide any info re living here. Also what about the cost of cars etc. I have been told that having a car is a must. I have taken the option of living in a school apartment as the school accommodation allowance was only 1500 AED per month.

Many thanks.