[B]TAX in UAE[/B]

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Cecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant future
Default [B]TAX in UAE[/B]

Has anyone worked in UAE and then returned home to Australia? If so what did you do re tax? I have been told that you have to pay tax on your UAE income when you return? Any thoughts from anyone out there? Is this the same for people going back to the UK?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:46 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [B]TAX in UAE[/B]

As far as the UK is concerned, as long as you've satisfied the requirements for being considered "non-resident" (i.e. you've stayed out of the country for more than X days per year), you don't have to pay anything on your UAE earnings.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps ask in the Oz forum and see if anyone there knows, but I don't think you'd have to pay back taxes unless you were still resident in Oz....would be weird...
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Cecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant futureCecilia has a brilliant future

Thanks Bob - will try Oz forum. Apparently if Australian citizen you have toprove you are not a resident and we will be keeping our house here. Anyway we will give it a go.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cecilia
Thanks Bob - will try Oz forum. Apparently if Australian citizen you have toprove you are not a resident and we will be keeping our house here. Anyway we will give it a go.
Not sure about OZ - but in NZ if you own a house and it reamins empty while you're away it is considered to be your 'residence' by the tax dept and you are liable to income tax no matter where you are.
But if you maintain that property as an investement and rent it out....it is not considered to be your residence and you are tax free.
Basically, it comes down to if the tax dept believes you have kept a property to reside in.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kelvynd
Not sure about OZ - but in NZ if you own a house and it reamins empty while you're away it is considered to be your 'residence' by the tax dept and you are liable to income tax no matter where you are.
But if you maintain that property as an investement and rent it out....it is not considered to be your residence and you are tax free.
Basically, it comes down to if the tax dept believes you have kept a property to reside in.
Thanks for that. Would the rent then be classed as income?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cecilia
Thanks for that. Would the rent then be classed as income?
It gets complicated then.....i think it depends on if it's mortgaged or not but i'm not sure.
I'm reasonalbly sure you do get taxed on the rental income.......and in OZ i think they tax on catpital gain as well on such an investment.
I don't think you are taxed on capital gains on a residential property.

Therefore, maintain it as your own and pay income tax or...
rent it out and pay tax on rental income and capital gains.

I guess it depends which is greater as to which you'd rather do.....but i'd imagine the rental way is the way to go.

however, the tax on the rental income would probably be much less than tax on work income so it's worth doing i'd think.

This is a pretty simplified view and i'm sure it's a little more complex than this and of course i'm talking about NZ rules and what little I know of OZ rules.