Living in Al Ain

Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

CaseBusy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by lawyergirl
Nope - no 'out of office' reply. And dealing with locals. The interview was conducted by a team consisting of Westerners as well as one local but the details have been left to the administrators who are local.

Should I be worried?
Don't start worrying now, like i say it give another week or so, can you not get in contact with the westerners? It's just that locals out there are not the best to deal with. To be honest if i was getting into something that was just run by locals i wouldn't bother. BUt your situation is different, try and get in contact with the others, they should get back to you
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:30 am
Just Joined

kmann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Becci_Neil
Keely. LOL, just send a quick reply saying something random.

LG - similar to us, as in only have a date of travel, no tickets yet, do idea where we'l be living. But saying that we've always had replies to emails from employer. I could only suggest you keep on at them. Did i read somewhere on here things in Al Ain take a bit more time and effort to get done?
Hi, think we all seem to be in the same situation with not really knowing what to take, what's being provided etc. We've been given a rough date but not exact so that's a bit unnerving as well! Think Fadia from the school is meant to be back 25 July so maybe we'll all hear more after that?!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

You all sound very new to expat life and one of the first things you have to learn I am afraid is patience, nothing goes at the pace of life of the UK, USA, Oz or any other major country in the world. You cant come here believing that you will change things to your way of thinking overnight, you need to learn to chip chip chip away for changes to happen. Having said all that, you have to keep contacting people on a very regular basis. Tomorrow is a public holiday for the Prophet Mohammed's Assenssion so we all have a 3 day weekend. I have been an expat for over 30 years so plenty of experience and also have been in Al Ain for over 2 years now so if I can do anything locally for any of you coming here am very happy to do it. If you are interested please do not hesitate to contact me by PM. The schools are now all on holiday so would imagine if any admin staff are in the office it will be skeleton staff. The offer is there if you want it
Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:15 am
Just Joined

kmann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
You all sound very new to expat life and one of the first things you have to learn I am afraid is patience, nothing goes at the pace of life of the UK, USA, Oz or any other major country in the world. You cant come here believing that you will change things to your way of thinking overnight, you need to learn to chip chip chip away for changes to happen. Having said all that, you have to keep contacting people on a very regular basis. Tomorrow is a public holiday for the Prophet Mohammed's Assenssion so we all have a 3 day weekend. I have been an expat for over 30 years so plenty of experience and also have been in Al Ain for over 2 years now so if I can do anything locally for any of you coming here am very happy to do it. If you are interested please do not hesitate to contact me by PM. The schools are now all on holiday so would imagine if any admin staff are in the office it will be skeleton staff. The offer is there if you want it

Hi Amazing Grace

I'm beginning to realise that I really have got to relax more and just go with the flow (my husband's been telling me this for years!!). I'm so used to having everything organised that I find it hard when I don't know what's going on but like you say, I'm definitely going to have to learn some patience! Think it will do me some real good moving to Al Ain and getting used to a much slower pace of life! Looking forward to it.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Mikgab is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be moving to Al Ain sometime midish August. Will be teaching English with ADEC in a local school. I have read all the pages on this forum and some on other forums. Now I am confused as to who might have mentioned an idea for women teachers to wear the local Emirate kaftan? while at school so as to help with avoiding any breach of etiquette. Someone else mentioned that it would not be appropriate for a non-muslim. Not sure if I am getting confused between local Emeriti dress and Muslim abaya. Are they the same thing or different? Can anyone address this for me?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

lawyergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

Okay so I got a response back right away - apparently tickets are to be sent very soon and I was given her personal number to contact. I actually wanted to contact some of the Westerners but was told to just use the administrators in dealing with matters.

I guess things are alright. Amazing Grace, I'm sending you a PM.

Regarding the dress code, I was wondering the same thing and thinking that it might be so much easier to just wear an abaya on top of clothes while working because then we wouldn't have to worry that something is inappropriate (too tight or whatever) but in my contract, if you are a Westerner you have to wear Western clothes (with particular specifications), no jewellry that is distracting, hair not loose etc.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Hello Everyone,

Hope those of you in Al-Ain are enjoying your day off and those of us not yet there enjoying our Sundays

My question for the experts is about fitness facilities in Al-Ain.

I know that the hotels have gyms/fitness centres, but are there places
that offer martial arts or yoga classes? Not much of a gym person, but am a fan of yoga and martial arts.

Have a great day all!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Becci_Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone,

Hope those of you in Al-Ain are enjoying your day off and those of us not yet there enjoying our Sundays

My question for the experts is about fitness facilities in Al-Ain.

I know that the hotels have gyms/fitness centres, but are there places
that offer martial arts or yoga classes? Not much of a gym person, but am a fan of yoga and martial arts.

Have a great day all!
Lawyer girl - i'm with you there on the Yoga!!!

TOD mag lists loads in Dubai - on the beach n hotels - so defo wana find somewhere in Al Ain. Is there a Time Out Al Ain mag??

I think someone a while back mentioned gyms and some classes, water aerobics and horse riding available in the hotels. Try the hotel websites!?!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Becci_Neil
Lawyer girl - i'm with you there on the Yoga!!!

TOD mag lists loads in Dubai - on the beach n hotels - so defo wana find somewhere in Al Ain. Is there a Time Out Al Ain mag??

I think someone a while back mentioned gyms and some classes, water aerobics and horse riding available in the hotels. Try the hotel websites!?!
Becci

Will do some internet research and check out hotels as well to see what
is available in the way of yoga
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Becci

Will do some internet research and check out hotels as well to see what
is available in the way of yoga
There are def yoga classes in AA at the Hilton and I also saw private classes being advertised on the notice boards around town. Just keep an eye on the boards at the Hilton and Abella and also get on to the NIALA mailing list and the AA expats yahoo group and you will find out everything you need to know!!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:23 am
Just Joined

michelle_e is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Not British, I'm afraid, but hoping you'll help out nonetheless I've read through most threads and have acquired a wealth of knowledge--thank you. I feel much more prepared for our move reading about your experiences and advice.

But I do have a situation I wonder if one or more of you can help with: Like a few others who have posted recently, I have a contract with ADEC to teach grade 12 English (would love to be in contact with those in the same situation, too). I am scheduled to arrive 30 Aug, and my family (husband and 3 kids ages 6, 8, 10) will follow a few weeks later. So it's two problems, really...1. my husband needs a job and 2. I emailed AAESS for information, knowing they are on break until mid-August, and that they are likely full. Odds of getting my children enrolled this year?

We are diligently using every recruiter, Web Site, and contact we have to find my husband a job in Al Ain before we are set to move, but, of course, we want things to happen overnight and that's not how it works. Realistically, how likely is it that he find employment once we are there? Briefly, he has an MBA, and BS in mechanical engineering (but not much construction experience, I'm afraid) and 15 years' experience in business & project management & source & supply chain mgmt. Most of his recent experience is in the automotive industry, which you may have heard is not a very good industry to be in, at the moment

I don't mean to beat a dead horse and ask again about spousal employment, but do appreciate any and all advice you may have.
Thanks so much,
Michelle
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michelle_e
Hi all,

Not British, I'm afraid, but hoping you'll help out nonetheless I've read through most threads and have acquired a wealth of knowledge--thank you. I feel much more prepared for our move reading about your experiences and advice.

But I do have a situation I wonder if one or more of you can help with: Like a few others who have posted recently, I have a contract with ADEC to teach grade 12 English (would love to be in contact with those in the same situation, too). I am scheduled to arrive 30 Aug, and my family (husband and 3 kids ages 6, 8, 10) will follow a few weeks later. So it's two problems, really...1. my husband needs a job and 2. I emailed AAESS for information, knowing they are on break until mid-August, and that they are likely full. Odds of getting my children enrolled this year?

We are diligently using every recruiter, Web Site, and contact we have to find my husband a job in Al Ain before we are set to move, but, of course, we want things to happen overnight and that's not how it works. Realistically, how likely is it that he find employment once we are there? Briefly, he has an MBA, and BS in mechanical engineering (but not much construction experience, I'm afraid) and 15 years' experience in business & project management & source & supply chain mgmt. Most of his recent experience is in the automotive industry, which you may have heard is not a very good industry to be in, at the moment

I don't mean to beat a dead horse and ask again about spousal employment, but do appreciate any and all advice you may have.
Thanks so much,
Michelle

I am sorry to be very blunt but I dont hold out much hope of your husband finding a decent, well paid job looking locally after you arrive here so best to keep on slogging away at all the recruitment guys you know of.

The schools from what I hear are pretty much full but again keep bashing away at the websites, if AAESS is full then there will be a waiting list, at the moment they are closed for the holidays although there MAYBE an admin staff working.

Yoga classes and aqua aerobics used to be held at The Hilton but the Hiltonia Management has changed from a female to a male which may make a difference, particularly for aqua but I will find out for you as it may all start up again in September again. Not sure about the Intercontinental you will have to contact them.

Here is an email contact for the newsletter which goes out once a month to everyone who subscribes. It is very helpful with lots of activities both for grown ups and the children. Would be a very good idea to register with it to get on their mailing list. This is the email address to contact
[email protected]

Good luck to all of you in your preparation for Al Ain.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks so much,
Michelle
sorry to pry Michelle but will you be earning enough as a teacher to pay the school fees for your three children?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

michelle_e is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
sorry to pry Michelle but will you be earning enough as a teacher to pay the school fees for your three children?
No...not if we hope to have any life outside of school & work...which is why it is not a realistic move if my husband can't find employment.

Thanks for answering my questions, Amazing Grace. That's what we needed to hear. My husband got up in the middle of the night here and called 5 recruiters in the UAE with mixed results...some were very positive and some not so much. We'll see what happens.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:11 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

No...not if we hope to have any life outside of school & work...which is why it is not a realistic move if my husband can't find employment.

Thanks for answering my questions, Amazing Grace. That's what we needed to hear. My husband got up in the middle of the night here and called 5 recruiters in the UAE with mixed results...some were very positive and some not so much. We'll see what happens.
your husband will stand a better chance of getting work in other Gulf Countries, I would spread your wings a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.