Living in Al Ain

Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

lawyergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Would any one recommend finding a roommate or is it better to get my own place?

Reason Im asking is because my husband has to leave again at the end of September for at least a few months, and as the first 6 months is a probationary period I wonder if it's a good idea to go through with signing a rental contract until I'm sure i'm gonna be there and know the areas well enough.

Not sure that I want to stay at one of the hotels because that might be kind
of pricey (hope to use my allowance for transporation, housing, internet, food if possible) so as not to eat into my salary.

Also, quick question: is it cheaper to eat out or to cook? We lived in Malaysia for nearly 5 years and eating out was a lot cheaper if you were willing to eat local foods. We ended up doing a lot of cooking at home though just because we started craving stuff from home and to eat healthier but also enjoyed local foods as well as Western restaurants occasionally.

I love Arabic food so I have no doubts as to that, just wondering if its more economical to eat out mostly or to cook.

Cheers,

lg
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Hi Everyone,

I just came across a site www.alainliving.com (I think that's right) - and though I don't know how good it is, there seems to be a decent classifieds
section with some rentals, furniture, other stuff and so on.

Take a look-see, might be helpful.

Cheers,

lg
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:59 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Interesting question. I've often wondered myself which should tell you how close a question it is. If you ate Indian or Lebanese food from one of the lower priced places (all of which deliver for free) I'd almost say that would be cheaper. I don't know, I hope someone else has done a little more research on this.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

CaseBusy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've not moved out here yet but heard Mcdonalds deliver as well.....heaven!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Living in Al Ain

I heard most places are shut when it hits ramadan, is this true? or some places open for the expats?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Hey Casebusy,

Yeah, I think somewhere on this thread there was mention that during Ramadan more places are closed and its forbidden to eat in public during the time of the fast (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

However, hotels like Hilton are still open for service so there's that. In any case, Ramadan lasts a month and you can still get food from some places. I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem or inconvenience.

I was just thinking - eating Shawarma (Lebanese) everyday might be cheap and delicious but i'd be packing on the pounds! It's a good thing fruits and vegetables are plentiful

Cheers,

lg
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Interesting question. I've often wondered myself which should tell you how close a question it is. If you ate Indian or Lebanese food from one of the lower priced places (all of which deliver for free) I'd almost say that would be cheaper. I don't know, I hope someone else has done a little more research on this.
We ate out most nights as there was only two of us and it was much cheaper and easier and we never had a problem. There are some fantastic places which you should visit. SUPA, Iranian Restuarant, Leisure, The Town House, Golden Sheep to name but a few. There is a fantastic place near Choithram's by the Rock Roundabout where you can buy authentic lebanese takeaway and it is gorgeous and very cheap they also deliver. Four of us ate at SUPA one night and it cost us 40Dhs. It is in that street of shops opposite the Choithram's near the Al Noor Hospital. Don't judge these places by the outside!!! or you willl never go inside.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

minetoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaseBusy
I heard most places are shut when it hits ramadan, is this true? or some places open for the expats?
LG is correct in saying that some places are open during Ramadan. The hotels should have a cafe open during the day. The Golf Club still serves food during the day. Most of the restaurants do open and serve take away to expats a little before Iftar. After Iftar, it's all open.

Just remember the fast for Ramadan includes no smoking and chewing gum. All any one asks is that you be discreet. Children are exempt from fasting.

MT
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Moe1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody..
I was born here in Al-Ain in 1986.. I am still living here.. If you have any question do not hesitate to ask me..
cheers
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Living in Al Ain

Any one know a good car showroom in Al Ain? that deals with used cars? i'll be out here in August and i'm assuming i'll need one straight away

cheers
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moe1
Hi everybody..
I was born here in Al-Ain in 1986.. I am still living here.. If you have any question do not hesitate to ask me..
cheers
i just read your post, looks like you're the expert, know any good used car dealerships?>
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who maybe interested or looking for this, whilst doing a lap of the top floor of the new Bawadi Mall which is quite a distance and a good exercise regime we came across a Foot Clinic which has just opened. If you face the food hall go to your right and it is along the passageway. It is very private and has all the Scholl products. I suffer from nail problems so am very happy to see it there. I have also been asked by people if they know of a podiatrist hence the reason for posting this info here which as we all know is what this thread is all about.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

mabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nice

Hi all - am not going to ask lots of questions that have been asked before i hope! only read the last 40 pages of posts!

Does anyone know much about Al Ain Aviation Academy? My husband has an interview with them in 2 weeks.

Also, does anyone know about schools that would accept a child with mild physical disability? my 8 year has to waer a splint on his leg but has no 'mental' issues at all.

Very many thanks all
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Anyone know any boxing/thai boxing or any form of martial arts gyms in al ain?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:30 pm
IHG
Just Joined

IHG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to ask is anyone hanging out in Intercontinental for chat. It would be nice to make a weekly meeting somewhere there, for example tea lounge and meet new people. I am new in Al-Ain and would be interested in making some friends.

Have a nice day all!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.