Living in Al Ain

Old May 29th 2009, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

The Wifebeaters were coming over to our house to sit by the pool but after last night I think she might be staying in a darkened room, bless her. Today is it only 49 degrees C so hot as toast. Just been to our lovely new Bawadi Mall, its so cool with lots of lovely shops and especially Marks and Spencers. Do you remember when we first went out for a drive in your little red car and passed what was the shell of it. Happy memories, miss you Babe
Old May 29th 2009, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cochraf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larnie
Hi!

The climate in the UAE really is not suitable for dogs as best part of the year it is too hot for anyone to be outside. Also Arabs generally do not like animals especially dogs and there is a huge problem of abandoned animals in Al Ain. Abu Dhabi is probably worse as it is more of a big city mentality. In actual fact if you really felt you had ot bring your dog then Al Ain is probably a better place to be. As far as gyms go there are plenty of choices: Hilton, Intercon, Rugby Club and some private Arab gyms around town if you want to beef up and we a weight lifter.

Alcohol is definitely available. There are 4 'Off Licences' in Al Ain where you can buy wine, beer and spirits and of course licenced bars and restaurants in the big hotels. I would suggest that you get a licence though because I know they were clamping down on the buying of alcohol without one just before I left. We managed to get away with it for 18 months.

You will have a great experience if you make the decision. Good luck!!
Thanks so much for your reply. We are looking forward to being there. Should be quite an adventure.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone recommend a good painter for interior of villas ? I am also looking for an experienced gardener that is available weekly or a landscaping/gardening company with staff that offer a weekly service.
Thanks !!

Welcome back AG

Cochraf, welcome to the forum and best of luck on your move. We have 3 dogs and a cat and so far no problems. You will find alot of locals scared of them as we did but the more they came over the more comfortable they felt around them and learned they were safe. We do not however, take them to parks or other public places due to what others mentioned in regards to acceptance. You definitely will not be able to keep pets outside here due to the heat. Our pets are well trained and when we let them outside we make sure they aren't out for more than 5 to 10 minutes and our housekeeper keeps fresh water outside for them. At night after it has cooled down some, thats when we take them for walks or for a ride somewhere. Keep in mind though, we lived in the Memphis area in the US where it gets very hot and humid during summer. Last summer was in the low 100's with 100% humidity and with a heat index of 110 so our animals are used to heat. I am not sure how yours will adapt since you're coming from Canada. If you have any questions about shipping them, feel free to PM me
Old May 29th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply.

We had planned on walking him early in the am around 5 and then later in the evening.

We can get some pretty hot weather here too but very few days close to a 100. He like the air conditioning and mostly stays inside anyway.

Are there places in Al Ain to board dogs when going on holiday or would we take him to Abu Dhabi?

We are dealing with the AVC to help bring him over. But he will stay with friends until we are all settled and then send for him.
Old May 29th 2009, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
The Wifebeaters were coming over to our house to sit by the pool but after last night I think she might be staying in a darkened room, bless her. Today is it only 49 degrees C so hot as toast. Just been to our lovely new Bawadi Mall, its so cool with lots of lovely shops and especially Marks and Spencers. Do you remember when we first went out for a drive in your little red car and passed what was the shell of it. Happy memories, miss you Babe
Yep I remember that drive. I will come to Al Ain one day when I am back and we can to it again but this time we will have shops to visit and cafe's to drink coffee in!! Can't wait! Only 22 weeks to go!
Old May 30th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

.....and counting
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

someone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to all

degree yesterday around 12 was 58 C ,

enjoying the summer
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by someone in al ain
degree yesterday around 12 was 58 C ,

enjoying the summer
I think you may have mis typed and this should probably read 48 C and still quite pleasant
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cochraf
Thanks for the reply.

We had planned on walking him early in the am around 5 and then later in the evening.

We can get some pretty hot weather here too but very few days close to a 100. He like the air conditioning and mostly stays inside anyway.

Are there places in Al Ain to board dogs when going on holiday or would we take him to Abu Dhabi?

We are dealing with the AVC to help bring him over. But he will stay with friends until we are all settled and then send for him.

We lived in Al Ain with 2 dogs with no problem whatsoever. I highly reomend AVC to import your animals, as they have a great reputation with us .,,personally. There kennels are good

We had a local landlord who did not mind pets at all, the superstition that arabs dont like dogs , is a dying myth. There are plenty of doggies in Al Ain, well cared for, and do fine. Our local neighbor kids loved to play with our dogs, all of them Arabee. You will be fine with dogs in AA. No worries

Last edited by buddymom; Jun 6th 2009 at 6:29 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

That is great to hear. We are looking forward to our move. We are not yet sure if we will be in Abu Dhabi City or Al Ain. My husband will be teaching in Abu Dhabi but we are not yet sure of the city we will be in.

We at first were leaning towards Abu Dhabi City but now are thinking that Al Ain may be better for the dog. Do you know what the situation is regarding dogs in Abu Dhabi City?

The agency we are using here in Toronto has also recommended the AVC.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

There are dogs in Abu Dhabi as well. Although your accomodation might be an apartment in Abu Dhabi, and many dont allow pets. Al Ain is about 140 km from AD, as a commute it can be tough.

Your dogs will have to adjust, and only you know their temperment. AVC will be happy to answer any of your questions as well
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

ozkingy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by buddymom
There are dogs in Abu Dhabi as well. Although your accomodation might be an apartment in Abu Dhabi, and many dont allow pets. Al Ain is about 140 km from AD, as a commute it can be tough.

Your dogs will have to adjust, and only you know their temperment. AVC will be happy to answer any of your questions as well
And on another topic.....

The water pumping station in Towayya has been closed and the old buildings/equipment are being demolished at a great rate. Rumour has it that there will be a hotel built there, and I was told it will be like the Intercon and Rotana (ie, resort style). Has anyone heard anything about it? Hope it's true, as it will be about a 3 minute walk for us!

Cheers,

Kingy.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Sorry ozking, we are in Dubai now, so working with another rumor mill. LOL!

If that is true about a hotel in Towayya, god bless.... AA could use another venue. As the 3 or 4 they have wear out quickly IMHO
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:14 am
Just Joined

cake ace is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know of a wrought iron shop in Al Ain? We are moving to a villa with a couple of curved windows and I am in need of a curved curtain rod.

Thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cake ace
Does anyone know of a wrought iron shop in Al Ain? We are moving to a villa with a couple of curved windows and I am in need of a curved curtain rod.

Thanks.
Go to the area known as Saniya (sp) it is the industrial area by the big Lulu hypermarket. The new one. There are about a billion iron work shops there.
You just need to drive around to find them. Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.