Living in Al Ain

Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Hey guys keep me informed as well. I leave tomorrow night back to the states for xmas with the kids coming home from college. We spend the day in Dubai today looking at boats for sale.. We found what we want. OMG Dubai was beautiful..the beach, the marina.. it was exactly what we would love to live in but would keep us from buying the boat so we're looking in al ain for a smaller villa. This one is huge, too big and more pilots in it than i wanted so we would rather have something smaller and limit the roommate. This would allow us to spend time in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

Sassy, I am an American living in Al Ain with grown children in the States also.
I used to work on boats in the US, and love the water.
If you would like to meet up when you get back. Pm me... Cheers, Mary
Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buddymom
Sassy, I am an American living in Al Ain with grown children in the States also.
good girl
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

I would absolutely love to and definitely will. If there is anything special you want brought back ( lightweight) lol.. already paid out the wazoo in extra baggage coming out i will be happy to bring back. We will be back in time for NYE and going to try to get some folks together. The boat we looked at yesterday we are interested in very much and the sales guy said to let us know when we're ready to take it out on the water.. We thought NYE would be a perfect night LOLLLLLLL I will keep in touch with you from the states. I can't wait to see my kids, one is already back at the house from school and the other will be there the 18th ( he has PGA checkpoints to complete at school ) They are both at Miss State University. One in PGA and the other Pre Law. See you soon and if you know of good boat sales, we're looking. We are looking at a 43ft Carver right now and considering a fractional with the option of chartering it out when not being used. What all did you do on boats ? If it weren't for this whole possible future department job with the UAE Dept of Ministry/Health when i get back, i would look into boat sales/charter marketing. Who knows.. Talk to you soon !!!!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
good girl
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the offer SM. I'm good. We have my husbands sons coming over for the holidays and will be in Jordan and Oman. Maybe NYE? have a good Xmas and I hope you get some snow.

On a different subject...there is a 4bed/4bath villa for rent in my neighborhood. Older construction, but recently redone. Dh has seen it, says its nicer than ours inside.
Tel No.... 971 050 643 9936 Have no idea how much. It is in a local area.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

baggiesmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by muminamini
Hi everyone!

I posted a wee while back and just wanted to say Hello. Things are moving along here, my husband flies to Abu Dhabi on 3rd Jan and starts his job in Al Ain on 5th Jan. He has been given accomodation for as long as it take him to find us a place to live, he is also flying out with another guy whose family will be coming to Al Ain and I have been in touch with his wife, so already I feel like we won't be alone when we come out.

His company have been really helpful and provided us with some excellent info, one thing was a E-newsletter being distributed with all the monthly events of things going on in Al-Ain, classifieds, wanted ads etc - it looks really good and for the lady asking about Clarinet lessons, I'm sure there is a music teacher on it.

To receive it e-mail Rachel or Michelle on [email protected]

Hope it is useful. Our house is in process of being sold and kids and I hope to be out sometime in Feb! The more I hear the more I wish I was there RIGHT NOW!
x
Hi all. Wow what a site !I have already been in touch with mominamini, and need to tell you all that we would be so lost without this site ! There is virtually no information on the web for Al Ain, so we have been struggling ! My husband is in Al Ain until Thursday (I miss him so much), he then flies back out on the 4th Jan, and should come and collect us 4-6 weeks after that (fingers crossed). He has been tasked with finding us somewhere to live, although it sounds as if this is going to be a lot harder than we first thought.

Have read (somewhere) about the Oasis compund, not sure which area, but it looks like just what we're after. Safe, secure, gym, pool and places for the kids to play....4 bed villas I think. We have two kids, my daughter is 7 (going on 14), and my son is 10. We are now very excited about coming to start a new life in Al Ain, although terrified too ! But you have all eased my anxiety, it is so nice to be able to ask such friendly people for advice !

The school is my other biggest worry. Like all the other newbies, the AAESS looks like the best option, as long as I can get the kids in. Should I be sending application forms now ?

It seems that the Intercontinental, Hilton and Rotana are all great hotels, and both my husband and I enjoy the gym (although I love my food and drink too), so would be good to know costs, and which would be the best for us to join.

Can't wait to start afresh in the new year, in Al Ain.....any advice that anyone has in relation to villas, best areas to live in in terms of location , and close proximity to AAESS would be much appreciated.

thank you all so much. Look forward to hearing from you xxx
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Bully Wee Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Baggiesmom,

What is is with these football related names ?

Not sure I can be much help but to tell you that Al Ain seems a great place to live. Have been here about 7 weeks now and about to move into a villa in the Al Masoudi district. 5 beds/5 baths and now renting at 170k per year. No pool and in a small compound of 4 villas - neighbours are nice though !!

I've been living in the Rotana since I arrived and think it's fabulous ! The pool and the gym are very quiet (which suits me) and the staff have been terrific. The only experience I have of the other two (Hilton and Intercon) was the night I went to meet friends at Paco's at the Hilton. Wasn't impressed to be honest but I guess everyone has their own preferences.

I'm sure others can help you with schools etc (my kids are 23 and 19!) but welcome to Al Ain anyway......I'm sure you'll love it.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:16 am
Just Joined

oivay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by baggiesmom
Hi all. Wow what a site !I have already been in touch with mominamini, and need to tell you all that we would be so lost without this site ! There is virtually no information on the web for Al Ain, so we have been struggling ! My husband is in Al Ain until Thursday (I miss him so much), he then flies back out on the 4th Jan, and should come and collect us 4-6 weeks after that (fingers crossed). He has been tasked with finding us somewhere to live, although it sounds as if this is going to be a lot harder than we first thought.

Have read (somewhere) about the Oasis compund, not sure which area, but it looks like just what we're after. Safe, secure, gym, pool and places for the kids to play....4 bed villas I think. We have two kids, my daughter is 7 (going on 14), and my son is 10. We are now very excited about coming to start a new life in Al Ain, although terrified too ! But you have all eased my anxiety, it is so nice to be able to ask such friendly people for advice !

The school is my other biggest worry. Like all the other newbies, the AAESS looks like the best option, as long as I can get the kids in. Should I be sending application forms now ?

It seems that the Intercontinental, Hilton and Rotana are all great hotels, and both my husband and I enjoy the gym (although I love my food and drink too), so would be good to know costs, and which would be the best for us to join.

Can't wait to start afresh in the new year, in Al Ain.....any advice that anyone has in relation to villas, best areas to live in in terms of location , and close proximity to AAESS would be much appreciated.

thank you all so much. Look forward to hearing from you xxx
Baggie,

I have found that the Rotana is not the club for kids.

It is a toss up between the Intercontinental and the Hilton. Both have their good and bad points. The Hilton appears to be very "worn" and I have had trouble getting a pool side seat when I have scouted it. The IC has better facilities but not as good food ( my opinion only).

Apply now to the school!!!!!! I am happy to say they have opened up new classes so my family is in.

Oi
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the offer SM. I'm good. We have my husbands sons coming over for the holidays and will be in Jordan and Oman. Maybe NYE? have a good Xmas and I hope you get some snow.

On a different subject...there is a 4bed/4bath villa for rent in my neighborhood. Older construction, but recently redone. Dh has seen it, says its nicer than ours inside.
Tel No.... 971 050 643 9936 Have no idea how much. It is in a local area.
Thanks for the villa info.. will try to call from the states and get info. I arrived in Memphis yesterday morning and Mike got in a few hours ago then our son arrived from school so we're all here and about to decorate and put up the tree. Unfortunately we had a family friend die last night so we will also be going to a funeral. If there is any possible way I will have Mike call on the villa because as we do in the south, when someone dies, we cook alot of food and take it to the family's home so that they don't have to. After the funeral we will have to try and get back into holiday mode because we have children at the House of Grace ( safety home for battered wives with children to go to) we buy Xmas gifts for and deliver them and still have to Xmas shop for our own family. I haven't bought the first thing yet! My kids who are in college have a short list, its the list for the kids at the House of Grace that we enjoy alot more! It is so weird being back here at home. This is the first time since our move that I came back and boy am I confused as ever. I love AlAin and my life there but realized just how much i missed as soon as i walked in my house with all my furniture, pictures, everything still in it and in its place and went to my favorite grocery store that was packed because as soon as I arrived we had winter ice warning and when they announce that, EVERYONE flocks to the grocery stores! They closed the schools early, closed night colleges, cancelled programs etc and of course, Memphis got hardly nothing but the couple of patches of ice caused more wrecks than if we had gotten 2 inches of ice/snow. It snowed in Phoenix of all places!!!! I did watch the Today show this morning and saw where the elderly grandmother was victim to house invasion by 3 teenagers who tied her up, beat her severely then put her in the trunk of her car for 26 hours left to die just so they could take her credit cards and make a few purchases. While driving her car with her in the trunk, they ran a stop sign and that was the only way she was saved, the officer that pulled them over searched and found her. Then i saw where little Casey's body has been found in the woods and then also found out that Adam Walsh's mystery killer has finally been found after 27 years and remembered why we were glad to leave the US as well. We will be back for NYE and are working on planning something.. I will advise ... Happy Holidays !!!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

"Have read (somewhere) about the Oasis compound, not sure which area, but it looks like just what we're after. Safe, secure, gym, pool and places for the kids to play....4 bed villas I think. We have two kids, my daughter is 7 (going on 14), and my son is 10. We are now very excited about coming to start a new life in Al Ain, although terrified too ! But you have all eased my anxiety, it is so nice to be able to ask such friendly people for advice !"

Hello BaggiesMom!
I am Melanie, aka Sassypilotswife and still pretty new in Al Ain. I can tell you i have driven by Oasis and they are very nice looking. I told my hubby thats where i wanted to live. They are across from Tawam Hospital and I've been told that there is a waiting list of about 18 months to move in there. I have not confirmed that, however you may want to follow up. I have been told that yes, they are extremely nice with all the features including a guard at the gated entrance. I was told they were in the 175 to 180k dhs/year range but again, I have not confirmed that yet. Hubby and I are in a very large villa, too large and we are contemplating moving into a smaller one but we're in the states for the holidays and will arrive back on the 30th. I know too well about missing your spouse and awaiting the move. Mike ( hubby) got hired in August and I wasn't able to finally join him until Oct23. Although i am not british, i joined this forum and have not found a better bunch of people that helped me learn, adjust and look forward to my move than this group. If you want to talk, have questions please call me here in the states. Email me at [email protected] and I will send you my numbers here. What part of the world are you moving from ? Our kids are in college so i can't help you with the education questions but will help you as much as I can. I have met a few from here ( forum) but not alot of those that i am still looking forward to. Alot of the gals get together at the mall on Tuesday mornings but I haven't made it there yet. The first 3 weeks were very hard for me because hubby ( airline pilot obviously) was gone all but 2 or 3 days out of those first 3 weeks and wasn't sure if I was going to stay, I spent time in my room in tears because of simply being away from my home, kids, family, friends i've had for 20 years. However, when i left the other day to come home for the holidays it was bittersweet LOL.. that is how much and quickly I fell inlove with the area, people, my neighbors etc.

PS BullyWeeBoy.. we seem to be in the same age range ( kids too) and look forward to meeting you as well !!!!

Last edited by sassypilotswife; Dec 17th 2008 at 1:22 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

I am pretty sure that Oasis compound are only for employees of Tawam Hospital. Not 100% sure, but thats what we were told.
I live very near that area. Asharej district it is called
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

I had thought that too.. about the hospital employees but our neighbor Bassel, said no. He has a friend who does live there. If that be the case ( for employees) I may just work on getting a job there afterall rather than what I have been networking on LOL. I like what i see from Twam street and would want to learn more if there are available flats or villas.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:02 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Our villa rental fell through. Crap. We all arrive on the 2nd and now the company will have to source a place sight unseen. Thought I had it, so much for contracts I suppose. Still looking forward to our life in Al Ain and meeting some of you!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Yikes ! what happened ? hmmm makes me glad we didn't contact the landlord possibly? We're in the states and will be back for NYE and still contemplating moving out but I have had request by the UAE Dept of Ministry for my CV to be sent to some University docs and I am not sure what they might have in store for me but maybe it might include a different housing opportunity so we're going to sit tight for a while. The one we wanted out of the villa didn't depart as we were praying for so we still have an issue at the current villa. Keep me posted !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.