Living in Al Ain

Old Oct 26th 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

alicethecamel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by shammy
Have a look in the Indian fabric shop opposite Al Noor Hospital (in patient section). There is some upstairs.
Thanks shammy!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

GatehouseFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Casta
Thanks for all the answers!!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

stenjo is an unknown quantity at this point

We have spent a long time reading replies and posts within this thread, trying to find out as much information as we can.
So sorry if we are asking questions which have already been asked and answered.
We are hoping to move to Al Ain. Husband should have a company car but wife will not be working. Would you recommend hiring car or just relying on taxis for wife to get about? Husband will be working funny hours and we will need to get kids to school, go to shops ('normal' day to day stuff).
We have enquired to the AAESS school as it seems really good. Has anyone had any experience of this school.
Our kids are 12, 6 and 3 and we are worried about the transition for them. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by stenjo
We have spent a long time reading replies and posts within this thread, trying to find out as much information as we can.
We are hoping to move to Al Ain. Husband should have a company car but wife will not be working. Would you recommend hiring car or just relying on taxis for wife to get about? Husband will be working funny hours and we will need to get kids to school, go to shops ('normal' day to day stuff).
We have enquired to the AAESS school as it seems really good. Has anyone had any experience of this school.
Our kids are 12, 6 and 3 and we are worried about the transition for them. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Hi welcome to the forum/thread. I would not be relying on taxis, as you will need them a lot - why not buy a second hand car? Will work out cheaper in the long run - aim for a japanese one as parts are readily available and relatively inexpensive.

Al Ain is very family orientated and your kids will no doubt make friends very quickly, there are all nationalities here, and this is part of the appeal of the UAE.

Good luck
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Becci_Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

are there any adult fancy dress shops in al ain?? I need a halloween costume and the only ones I could find yesterday were kids ones in toys r us. Ace only had a few accessories and kids outfits. I have a bit of time to DIY but would rather not. Thanks
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

dania is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Al Ain Cruiser Bikers‏

To all the cruiser bikers in Al Ain, please join the new group of Al Ain Cruiser Bikers & lets all gather & do some activities as a group.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...791600682&ap=1
www.facebook.com
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stenjo
Hi,
We moved to Al Ain a few months ago. My kids are in AAESS. The school has its issues but generally is good. Very like UK schools in terms of curriculum etc. and my kids found it easy to fit in etc.
I would hire a car to begin with. Around 2000Dhs a month for a nissan sunny type car.
I am not working (my hubby is). Feel free to have your wife pm me and I can help in any way I can.
Good luck with the move!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Becci_Neil
Hi,

are there any adult fancy dress shops in al ain?? I need a halloween costume and the only ones I could find yesterday were kids ones in toys r us. Ace only had a few accessories and kids outfits. I have a bit of time to DIY but would rather not. Thanks
there was a lady doing hire but she has shipped all her stuff to the uk. there are several places in Dubai and Abu Dhabi - Huge one near the Irish Village!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Becci_Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shammy
there was a lady doing hire but she has shipped all her stuff to the uk. there are several places in Dubai and Abu Dhabi - Huge one near the Irish Village!
Thanks Shammy, yeah I know Bev went back to the UK - realise how much she's missed now! Halloween costume definitely not worth a trip to Dubai. Did a pretty good DIY job in the end. Do you know if there are any Bonfire/Firework parties this weekend?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

alicethecamel is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know about hiking in Al Ain? I have been asked by a friend in Dubai who talked of amzing rock formations. I can only assume she means the Jebel? Does any one have any more information?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

made in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nice

Does anybody know where I could get a poppy for rembrance day ?? I've left it a little late I think to have one posted from the U.K or have I, how long does it take to receive post ? I have never had anything posted out here before....
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by made in manchester
Does anybody know where I could get a poppy for rembrance day ?? I've left it a little late I think to have one posted from the U.K or have I, how long does it take to receive post ? I have never had anything posted out here before....
I believe I saw some at the Rugby Club.....
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeznleez
Dr. Sandra will come to your house. She's got a website: www.myvet.ae . I'm not sure about Kennels, but we did go through a pet shipping company in Vancouver to bring ours out and not only were they $1200 cheaper than a quote in Calgary, but they were amazing - and we shipped her to AD.....It was a relatively easy process....
Where do you exercise them? I washoping for the desert but after this weekend finding out about horned vipers and fat black scorpians I am not so sure
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by JB22
Where do you exercise them? I washoping for the desert but after this weekend finding out about horned vipers and fat black scorpians I am not so sure
I go to the desert every week, 2 or 3 times, without fail (yes even in the height of summer). I have never seen a snake, and only seen a scorpion once. Just wear boots that come up to your ankles and you willl be fine. Don't sit next to bushes or foliage (creepy crawlies like the shade too), and keep away from burrows in the sand - you don't know what's down there!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Luxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really niceLuxorhouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by alicethecamel
Does anyone know about hiking in Al Ain? I have been asked by a friend in Dubai who talked of amzing rock formations. I can only assume she means the Jebel? Does any one have any more information?
Check out the Emirates Natural History Group Al Ain Chapter, http://www.enhg.org
I went out with them yesterday looking at several archaeological sites....not a "hike" just a good walk, but I know the club is planning hikes around the area. I work with the current head of the group Brien Lester Holmes, an extremely knowledgeable person who has been here for many years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.