Living in Al Ain

Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

123Loto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by GV-Austin
Can any of you Kiwis out there tell me (in detail) how you got your diplomas, marriage certificates, birth certificates, etc. attested? We have some friends from New Zealand that are having trouble getting theirs done at the national level.

You can PM me if you like.
I just sent off my documents last week... no news yet so I'm not sure if I've done it correctly:

1. Have all documents notarized by notary public.
2. Get 2 bank drafts done - one in AUD ($60 per document I think, but check the UAE embassy website... it's based in Canberra btw) and the other in NZD (can't remember how much so check the new zealand authentications unit website).

Here's the link (fees are on this page):

http://www.mfat.govt.nz/About-the-Mi...-documents.php

Send documents to wellington with a cover letter requesting that they send them on to Canberra once finished (so you need to include postage paid envelope too)
3. The authentication unit sends it to Canberra. You'l need to include a second cover letter explaining that you want the documents sent back to you (so you need to include another postage paid envelope, with international post coupons)... notice that you need to think carefully how you will arrange the correct envelopes, documents, letters and bank drafts in your package... kindof like playing pass the parcel...

Here's their website:

http://www.uaeembassy.org.au/

4. Cross your fingers.

Actually, I'd recommend you call both the embassy in Canberra and the authentications unit in wellington (call Canberra first) and confirm all of those steps. It is helpful to check with wellington if your public notary is ok!

Hope that helps...
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

123Loto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MeandMine
The french school, Theodore Monod, in Al Ain is in search of an English teacher. They are in the process of interviewing this week. They have the position posted on Al Ain Epat website.

Good luck with the job search!
Hey thanks!!! I'll check it out...
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

GV-Austin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 123Loto
I just sent off my documents last week... no news yet so I'm not sure if I've done it correctly:

Here's the link (fees are on this page):

http://www.mfat.govt.nz/About-the-Mi...-documents.php

Hope that helps...
That helps quite a lot, thank you!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:22 am
Just Joined

BBCONE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all,

It's looking more likely that I will be moving to either Al Ain or Abu Dhabi with work. I'm a single 30 year old male from the UK - how do others a similar age to myself find living ect...?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BBCONE
Hi to all,

It's looking more likely that I will be moving to either Al Ain or Abu Dhabi with work. I'm a single 30 year old male from the UK - how do others a similar age to myself find living ect...?
al ain for family's dubai for singles, abu dhabi too expensive
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

MeandMine is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know of a family therapist or relationship therapist, in Al Ain?

Thanks.
Anyone?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice

Does anyone know of a family therapist or relationship therapist, in Al Ain?

Thanks.
Anyone?
Best I can do from memory for Al Ain is:
Very old message: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alainexpats/message/2603
Random website comment: http://www.alainenthusiast.com/about/

But from what I see is written these people do not appear to have formal qualifications in psychology/counselling. Otherwise I have not heard of such services here (which doesn't mean they don't exist of course!).

Alternatives in Dubai which I've seen are frequently recommended:
http://www.dubaicommunityhealthcentre.org/
http://www.counsellingdubai.com/

Last edited by Casta; Oct 1st 2010 at 3:49 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by JB22
al ain for family's dubai for singles, abu dhabi too expensive
In reality a lot of the younger people I know head off to Dubai or AD for weekends, Al Ain doesn't have what you would call a vibrant nightlife. If on the other hand you like camping, exploring, offroading etc, then Al Ain is the place to be!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone know a good company to use to put an inground swimming pool in ? I have an owner who has agreed to put in a pool for my client and would like at least 3 referrals with references. Thanks !!!

PS. saw where a couple of folks said they responded to AlAinVillaFinder.com. In the past we have received a reply form with alot of jibberish on it. Not sure why, we thought it was just someone testing the site or just playing around. Our apologies if for some reason it was yours but unreadable. Hope you were successful in finding your new home. If not, please contact me direct on here or resubmit on the web site.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

alicethecamel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GV-Austin
Can any of you Kiwis out there tell me (in detail) how you got your diplomas, marriage certificates, birth certificates, etc. attested? We have some friends from New Zealand that are having trouble getting theirs done at the national level.

You can PM me if you like.
We had to send ours back to NZ to our lawyer and she had them attested, notarised and sent back. So if they are still in NZ get them done before they leave.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:34 am
Just Joined

alicethecamel is an unknown quantity at this point

Registering a Will!

Does anyone know of a Western Lawyer whom I can consult regarding registering our wills here!

Thanks
Old Oct 4th 2010, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

slytrellis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

I am currently about to start the interview process for an engineers position in Al Ain. Should everything go ok then we I would be looking to bring my wife and dog out with me to live.

I have never been to Al Ain, however I have been looking around at the real estate pages and the villas seem to start at about AED120k per year. They all seem to be huge 4 bedroom+ places. Ideally I would want something like a house/villa with outside space. Are there cheaper rentals available? (2 bed)
If there are no cheaper options it seems like it would take up too much of my proposed salary to make it worthwhile.

On talking about salary, I have been told that the salary range is between £4k - £5k per month. The role is as a skilled engineer. What should I really expect as part of the package. What is the norm ( if there is such a thing). The lady at the agency seemed to think that the salary already included an allowance for housing.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

Simon.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by slytrellis
Hi Everyone,

I am currently about to start the interview process for an engineers position in Al Ain. Should everything go ok then we I would be looking to bring my wife and dog out with me to live.

I have never been to Al Ain, however I have been looking around at the real estate pages and the villas seem to start at about AED120k per year. They all seem to be huge 4 bedroom+ places. Ideally I would want something like a house/villa with outside space. Are there cheaper rentals available? (2 bed)
If there are no cheaper options it seems like it would take up too much of my proposed salary to make it worthwhile.

On talking about salary, I have been told that the salary range is between £4k - £5k per month. The role is as a skilled engineer. What should I really expect as part of the package. What is the norm ( if there is such a thing). The lady at the agency seemed to think that the salary already included an allowance for housing.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

Simon.
Can't advise on the salary range for engineers, but you can certainly have a comfortable existance on that amount (27k aed per month), especially if you have an accommodation allowance on top.
There aren't many small properties in Al Ain, but if you are lucky enough to find one they can go for less than 100k.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know where I can find buttermilk??? Thanks!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

MeandMine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeznleez
Does anyone know where I can find buttermilk??? Thanks!
Buttermilk is called LAHBAN, and can be found in most large grocery stores. It is full fat buttermilk. Al Mari is one brand of LAHBAN or buttermilk. It comes in a clear, stand-up plastic bottle and looks like a lot of the milk bottles. HTH

*Do not mistaken LAHBAN for LABNA--that is something different, yoghurt, I think.

Last edited by MeandMine; Oct 6th 2010 at 4:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.