Living in Al Ain

Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:09 am
Just Joined

emptynester is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Anyone have recommendations for facility with gym, pool, etc? I stayed at the Rotana for a week and they have an arrangement for 5900ish per year for a couple. It looked nice, but I'd like to see what other options are out there. Thanks for any help.
Emptynester
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Janine in Al Ain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emptynester
Anyone have recommendations for facility with gym, pool, etc? I stayed at the Rotana for a week and they have an arrangement for 5900ish per year for a couple. It looked nice, but I'd like to see what other options are out there. Thanks for any help.
Emptynester
All the hotels have gym, pool etc facilities, you really need to check each one out and see which suits you. I would suggest to wait until September when all their activities start back and see what Hotel has what to offer as things change after the summer. I know the Hilton was about 3500Dhs family membership, so it pays to shop around.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:53 am
Just Joined

DesertDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Janine in Al Ain
All the hotels have gym, pool etc facilities, you really need to check each one out and see which suits you. I would suggest to wait until September when all their activities start back and see what Hotel has what to offer as things change after the summer. I know the Hilton was about 3500Dhs family membership, so it pays to shop around.
Rugby club has a brand spanking new Gym with a pleasant outlook over the pitches and the pool is ok too.
Prices are less than the hotels i believe tho prolly not by much.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Cochraf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the dog walking info. Will check out the Palm Sports Resort.

Would LittleBit1 know where we could purchase the neoprene shoes for dogs in Al Ain?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cochraf
Thanks for the dog walking info. Will check out the Palm Sports Resort.

Would LittleBit1 know where we could purchase the neoprene shoes for dogs in Al Ain?
Get hold of The German Vet in Abu Dhabi - she runs a fortnightly trip to Al Ain, and is bringing them in. FYI she will also bring food - Eukanuba etc, and anything else you need by prior arrangement.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Cochraf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that info.

When people take dogs out to the desert, what direction would that be in?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:51 am
Just Joined

DesertDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cochraf
Thanks for that info.

When people take dogs out to the desert, what direction would that be in?
You can go in any direction from Al Ain and you will eventually hit desert

The road out to the airport, past the camel roundabout is easy to access and a good place for a quick run. that is where we took ours.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

GV-Austin is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have a recommendation for the best SUVs for off road exploration through the desert? It doesn't have to be the "Can jump over dunes in a single bounce" kind of vehicle. But I'd like to get something reliable in the sand when traveling by twos.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by GV-Austin
Anyone have a recommendation for the best SUVs for off road exploration through the desert? It doesn't have to be the "Can jump over dunes in a single bounce" kind of vehicle. But I'd like to get something reliable in the sand when traveling by twos.
IMHO - Best compromise between road car and family car (for max 4 ppl) - FJ cruiser. (for 5-7 ppl) - Nissan Patrol 4.8 super safari or Toyota Landcruiser. For pure offroading fun - a Jeep (but they seem to have a lot of breakdowns on trips)

Best place to get advice is the AD4x4 club, if you trawl their forums you will find heaps of advice there. Their trips are fantastic too

See you in the sand (after you have made your purchase)
M
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:27 am
Just Joined

lawyergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys,

things have been really hectic and impossible for us - our school has basically left us out on our own and we are finding it impossible to find accommodation.

we are now looking for temporary stay accommodation due to financial inability to stay at one of the hotels for a month.

if anyone can help out with information or contact numbers for a room with a bathroom or temporary stay place please call me urgently

there are actually two sets of us (a woman + mother, and husband + myself).

050-7075-972
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:26 am
Just Joined

KayDeeJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lawyergirl
hi guys,

things have been really hectic and impossible for us - our school has basically left us out on our own and we are finding it impossible to find accommodation.

we are now looking for temporary stay accommodation due to financial inability to stay at one of the hotels for a month.

if anyone can help out with information or contact numbers for a room with a bathroom or temporary stay place please call me urgently

there are actually two sets of us (a woman + mother, and husband + myself).

050-7075-972
Hi lawyergirl,

I have literally just joined this site today and saw your post!

My husband and I might be able to help you (only 1 room though) - How long were you looking for something temporary? A few months?

Sorry, I would give you a buzz but I have left my phone at home.

KJ
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KayDeeJay
Hi lawyergirl,

My husband and I might be able to help you (only 1 room though) - How long were you looking for something temporary? A few months?

KJ
Hi all,

My husband and I have just recently moved to Al Ain after living in Dubai for the last 18 months - we are settling in and finding our feet here, we have been lucky enough to find ourselves somwhere to live within the month that we were up in a hotel. Now that the moving is sorted, there are two things I would love some advice on:
- Local GP's - can anyone recommend a good GP that I can have up my sleeve?
- I am looking to get a couple of kittens/young cats within the next few months and would instinctively head to Dubai Feline Friends to get them, but surely there are animals here that need homes, perhaps through a society? I found a website for Al Ain Animal Friends, but the website is very outdated and presumably no longer in use (which I found out via a phonecall to enquire about 2 kittens that were now 2 yrs old and homed!) - anyone know of animal societies/charities up here?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
KJ
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

aberdeensiregirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

My husband and I have just recently moved to Al Ain after living in Dubai for the last 18 months - we are settling in and finding our feet here, we have been lucky enough to find ourselves somwhere to live within the month that we were up in a hotel. Now that the moving is sorted, there are two things I would love some advice on:
- Local GP's - can anyone recommend a good GP that I can have up my sleeve?
- I am looking to get a couple of kittens/young cats within the next few months and would instinctively head to Dubai Feline Friends to get them, but surely there are animals here that need homes, perhaps through a society? I found a website for Al Ain Animal Friends, but the website is very outdated and presumably no longer in use (which I found out via a phonecall to enquire about 2 kittens that were now 2 yrs old and homed!) - anyone know of animal societies/charities up here?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
KJ
I have sent you a private message
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:40 am
Just Joined

lawyergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lawyergirl,

KJ
KayDeeJay,

Thank you for offering your help - it is terrible to be in this situation without
adequate assistance from the employer. We may be able to work something out today with a real estate agent here who will be meeting me in a few moments - but if that doesn't roll, we would be really grateful to receive assistance from you and your husband. Temporary could be just one week or a few days to buy us some more time in dealing with this. If could contact me today, we would be very grateful to you. I dont have consistent internet as yet - so if possible by phone.

Let's hope that something will be worked out with the agent so that this nightmare can turn into something pleasant.

Cheers

lg
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Alright, lg - will give you a buzz this afternoon after you have had a chance to meet with your agent.Good luck!

KJ

Originally Posted by lawyergirl
KayDeeJay,

Thank you for offering your help - it is terrible to be in this situation without
adequate assistance from the employer. We may be able to work something out today with a real estate agent here who will be meeting me in a few moments - but if that doesn't roll, we would be really grateful to receive assistance from you and your husband. Temporary could be just one week or a few days to buy us some more time in dealing with this. If could contact me today, we would be very grateful to you. I dont have consistent internet as yet - so if possible by phone.

Let's hope that something will be worked out with the agent so that this nightmare can turn into something pleasant.

Cheers

lg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.