Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Live in AD, work in Dubai?

Live in AD, work in Dubai?

Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

alfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nice
Default Live in AD, work in Dubai?

Would it be practical, possible, desireable to Live in Abu Dhabi and travel up to Dubai to work in Jebel Ali?

I understand it may be cheaper to buy/rent in AD and that with the traffic, the commute to Jebel Ali freezone would not be much more?

Whats your general thoughts on this?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:40 am
Banned

Jolly Roger has a brilliant futureJolly Roger has a brilliant futureJolly Roger has a brilliant futureJolly Roger has a brilliant futureJolly Roger has a brilliant futureJolly Roger has a brilliant future
Default Re: Live in AD, work in Dubai?

Originally Posted by alfro
Would it be practical, possible, desireable to Live in Abu Dhabi and travel up to Dubai to work in Jebel Ali?

I understand it may be cheaper to buy/rent in AD and that with the traffic, the commute to Jebel Ali freezone would not be much more?

Whats your general thoughts on this?
It's possible to live in Riyadh and work in Dubai.

Just not recommended.

Depends where you live in AD, think about the getting out and back into the corniche area. It wasn't too bad 5 years or so ago, but now?

I don't know, try it, you never know
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:01 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
It's possible to live in Riyadh and work in Dubai.

Just not recommended.

Depends where you live in AD, think about the getting out and back into the corniche area. It wasn't too bad 5 years or so ago, but now?

I don't know, try it, you never know

apparenltly Nakeel are building a new development literally on the border of Scabby Dabbi and Doobuy! I think it could be viable if you were on the Dubai side of town.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who live in Dubai and work in AD, so it should be do-able, surely??

MM, xx
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:29 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
I know people who live in Dubai and work in AD, so it should be do-able, surely??

MM, xx
It's do-able, but the daily drive would do my nut in. I hate the green fence going down, it seems to go on forever.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:46 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

A colleague of mine lives in Abu Dhbai and commutes in to Dubai each day. It takes her an hour each way, but she does travel at 180km per hr!

Last edited by Miss Eck; Apr 20th 2007 at 10:04 am.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

alfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nice

Its just that I have read alot of the comments being made hear (it took me an hour to read the "property crash" thread) and it is worrying to say the least.

I cannot reconcile in my own head, paying ludicrous amounts of rent to pay off someone elses mortgage. So I had convinced myself that buying was the best option. Now, having looked into it buying seems just as crazy....

I have 3 months of serviced apartment living to make a decision and wondered if a commute from AD to Jebel Ali might be better in the long run.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:12 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfro
Its just that I have read alot of the comments being made hear (it took me an hour to read the "property crash" thread) and it is worrying to say the least.

I cannot reconcile in my own head, paying ludicrous amounts of rent to pay off someone elses mortgage. So I had convinced myself that buying was the best option. Now, having looked into it buying seems just as crazy....

I have 3 months of serviced apartment living to make a decision and wondered if a commute from AD to Jebel Ali might be better in the long run.
there are loads of new buildings springing up in Al barsha, apartments, there are two next to me that are leasing now. It will take you about 20 mins to get from here to jebel ali.