Reload this Page >

Schooling in Muscat Oman

Schooling in Muscat Oman

Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:56 am
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Schooling in Muscat Oman

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me pls, pls, pls.
My husband has just accepted a position working in Muscat starting in June. First thing that I did (being a mother and a teacher) was to register my children at the British School of Muscat as I want them to follow the English Curriculum. I was told that there is a waitlist for Sept 2007 and that it is very likely that my children may not get into the school. HELP! :curse:
Can anyone suggest any other school in Muscat that may have availabilities that follow the English Curriculum? I am desperate for advice as I have now told my husband that I will not be going with him if I cannot get the children into school. Which has now left my husband thinking that perhaps he should not accept the job at this stage. I am desperate for help and advice as I do not want to jepodise his job opportunities over there and up until this point all the family were really excited about moving to Oman.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:12 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in Muscat Oman

Originally Posted by Awineor2
First thing that I did (being a mother and a teacher)
You are a mother and a teacher??

Then why not teach your children from home until the school can accept your children.??
That way your husband wont have to sacrifice this opportunity because of your concerns
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:48 am
Miles away from home

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
You are a mother and a teacher??

Then why not teach your children from home until the school can accept your children.??
That way your husband wont have to sacrifice this opportunity because of your concerns
Nice idea...........and I assure you that I would if I could.
Not going into personal details too much. I have a 14 yrs old currently studying for GCSE's, a 12 yr old and a 3 yr old!!! I am also hoping to do supply teaching until I can get a job myself. As I teach a vocational subject, I would not think it fair on my son currently studying GCSE's not to be in an environment that he can get hands on help, advice, library, IT centre, DT workshop, science lab etc and the correct preperation for sitting his exams. This is also my husbands concern as they are also his children. But thanks for the support.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:05 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Nice idea...........and I assure you that I would if I could.
Not going into personal details too much. I have a 14 yrs old currently studying for GCSE's, a 12 yr old and a 3 yr old!!! I am also hoping to do supply teaching until I can get a job myself. As I teach a vocational subject, I would not think it fair on my son currently studying GCSE's not to be in an environment that he can get hands on help, advice, library, IT centre, DT workshop, science lab etc and the correct preperation for sitting his exams. This is also my husbands concern as they are also his children. But thanks for the support.
No Problem.
There may be some Omani-expats or Ex-expats who can respond with more info.
Please keep checking back.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:14 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

No Problem.
There may be some Omani-expats or Ex-expats who can respond with more info.
Please keep checking back.

http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/index.asp - take a look on here. I wouldn't panic just yet, here in Dubai people are always on waiting lists for schools, told they won't get in and then do. There is alot of movement amongst expats so you may well find spaces turn up!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:25 am
Miles away from home

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/index.asp - take a look on here. I wouldn't panic just yet, here in Dubai people are always on waiting lists for schools, told they won't get in and then do. There is alot of movement amongst expats so you may well find spaces turn up!
I need inspiration like this right now, thanks a million for taking time to respond, I really appreciate it and 'yes' your right, I'm panicking might learn how not to one day. Thanks again your a gem.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:38 am
Up in the air

I need inspiration like this right now, thanks a million for taking time to respond, I really appreciate it and 'yes' your right, I'm panicking might learn how not to one day. Thanks again your a gem.
Would tend to agree with BC, there tends to be alot of movement both ways, and over here there are always ways and means to get things done

Im sure if your husband told his prospective employers that he may have to turn it down due to schooling, then im sure the company will pull a few strings.

Rgds
JD
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Would tend to agree with BC, there tends to be alot of movement both ways, and over here there are always ways and means to get things done

Im sure if your husband told his prospective employers that he may have to turn it down due to schooling, then im sure the company will pull a few strings.

Rgds
JD
It happens all the time here, nearly all my friends have had problems getting kids into schools but it all works out in the end.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:39 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried contacting the embassy in Muscat (or in the UK where I'm presuming you are at the moment) and asking them for all the British curriculum schools?
My Mother-In-Law works at the British School but she isn't answering her emails!
They are awfully decent chaps at the embassy and will help you out I'm sure.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Rgds
JD
Problem here is you don't fully realise the extent of the problem until after you arrive at which stage your employer is willing to do bugger all. I got stuffed quite badly.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me pls, pls, pls.
My husband has just accepted a position working in Muscat starting in June. First thing that I did (being a mother and a teacher) was to register my children at the British School of Muscat as I want them to follow the English Curriculum. I was told that there is a waitlist for Sept 2007 and that it is very likely that my children may not get into the school. HELP! :curse:
Can anyone suggest any other school in Muscat that may have availabilities that follow the English Curriculum? I am desperate for advice as I have now told my husband that I will not be going with him if I cannot get the children into school. Which has now left my husband thinking that perhaps he should not accept the job at this stage. I am desperate for help and advice as I do not want to jepodise his job opportunities over there and up until this point all the family were really excited about moving to Oman.
Go on to www.Expat Woman.com there are quite a few ladies in Oman, in the Qatar and other emirates section.
Good luck.
Hope giving this out is ok ????