Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Life afer the UAE .....

Life afer the UAE .....

Old Apr 14th 2007, 6:54 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life afer the UAE .....

I plan to do a few years here then other emerging markets.
Khazakstan will be one to watch for me, as will China
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i can't imagine not living here now, I love it...guess it may change some time in the future, but going back to London isn't something I really want to consider at the mo.

MM, xx
I am sooo tempted to come and live in Dubai.... am thinking of a wee trip out again in a few weeks time.... got the time off work and the babe loves it here. She loves all the attention she gets...... Not sure the other half would cope with the place though.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
I am sooo tempted to come and live in Dubai.... am thinking of a wee trip out again in a few weeks time.... got the time off work and the babe loves it here. She loves all the attention she gets...... Not sure the other half would cope with the place though.
ooohh you should defo come here, I'm sure you would love it!!! How old is your kid?

MM, xx
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

ooohh you should defo come here, I'm sure you would love it!!! How old is your kid?

MM, xx
18 months. She has been to Dubai twice now (folks live there) and she LOVES it. Actually it is amazing to see how alive she becomes when she arrives....

Other half is quite reserved ( upper class Surrey boy, grew up in NZ ) and the 'wild' women and affairs would freak the hell out of him
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

18 months. She has been to Dubai twice now (folks live there) and she LOVES it. Actually it is amazing to see how alive she becomes when she arrives....

Other half is quite reserved ( upper class Surrey boy, grew up in NZ ) and the 'wild' women and affairs would freak the hell out of him
this wild women thing is all a myth, lol

MM, xx
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

this wild women thing is all a myth, lol

MM, xx
well I have only been 4 times but I have seen enough to know that it is alive and kicking!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:19 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I plan to do a few years here then other emerging markets.
Khazakstan will be one to watch for me, as will China
China screws you on tax...only realistic option is to be paid through HK.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:39 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
China screws you on tax...only realistic option is to be paid through HK.
Am setting up a company here, so i need to investigate the tax implications if my company is based here, and i work "on secondment " in china
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Am setting up a company here, so i need to investigate the tax implications if my company is based here, and i work "on secondment " in china
what are you doing online so late on a sat night?

my excuse is that Mr LL is on earlies so in bed for the last few hours, I am waiting for Hotel Babylon to come on and I now have an empty bottle of wine sitting in front of me. I have though enjoyed a lovely evening watching Billy's tour of Scotland. I love my country.

so how was the flight back?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

what are you doing online so late on a sat night?

my excuse is that Mr LL is on earlies so in bed for the last few hours, I am waiting for Hotel Babylon to come on and I now have an empty bottle of wine sitting in front of me. I have though enjoyed a lovely evening watching Billy's tour of Scotland. I love my country.

so how was the flight back?
Ahhh Billy's tour of Scotland. I love it when he goes to arbroath and shows the EXACT spot where he lost his virginity. (around 100 metres from my house)

He is the exact same age as my mum, so imagine the fun i have asking if she went with any weegie-tronics who came to Arbroath on holiday in the early 60's

Not that i look anything like Billy Connoly you understand

Lexy, you sound very very passionate about Scotland. I have the same feelings, my house here is a wee (as much as the wife will let me) shrine to my roots.

I have a room dedicated to my clan and some beautiful scenic paintings of Lunan Bay and the cliffs off Arbroath.

My personal favs are the ships i served on in the royal Navy

HMS Camplbeltown
HMS Sutherland
HMS Glasgow
HMS Northumberland (OK a geordie ship, but the crew were all Scots)
HMS Brocklesby (a Faslane based ship with all Scots)

I have pictures of them all at sea in Scottish backdrops like Dunrobin Castle for HMS Sutherland, Brocklesby in the Gare Loch. My fav is the glasgow which has a lovely Govan tenament backdrop

I love living away from Scotland thou, for a lot of reasons (Joke Mcconnel for one, split religion schools still in WOS is another) but the feeling when i arrive at Glasgow airport still fills me up with pride.

My best moment was in 2003 after the gulf war, we sailed into Faslane with a piper on the bridge roof playing highland catherdral and i caught a glimpse of my 13 month daughter on the jetty with my parents (i had been away of 10 months). We were involved in some 'interesting'' stuff that had come at a price for about 7 colleagues on our trip so to say the emotions that were running throu when i hugged my baby (she didnt have a clue who i was) was really amazing

I left the navy shortly after, times are just too dangerous.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 6:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Ahhh Billy's tour of Scotland. I love it when he goes to arbroath and shows the EXACT spot where he lost his virginity. (around 100 metres from my house)

He is the exact same age as my mum, so imagine the fun i have asking if she went with any weegie-tronics who came to Arbroath on holiday in the early 60's

Not that i look anything like Billy Connoly you understand

Lexy, you sound very very passionate about Scotland. I have the same feelings, my house here is a wee (as much as the wife will let me) shrine to my roots.

I have a room dedicated to my clan and some beautiful scenic paintings of Lunan Bay and the cliffs off Arbroath.

My personal favs are the ships i served on in the royal Navy

HMS Camplbeltown
HMS Sutherland
HMS Glasgow
HMS Northumberland (OK a geordie ship, but the crew were all Scots)
HMS Brocklesby (a Faslane based ship with all Scots)

I have pictures of them all at sea in Scottish backdrops like Dunrobin Castle for HMS Sutherland, Brocklesby in the Gare Loch. My fav is the glasgow which has a lovely Govan tenament backdrop

I love living away from Scotland thou, for a lot of reasons (Joke Mcconnel for one, split religion schools still in WOS is another) but the feeling when i arrive at Glasgow airport still fills me up with pride.

My best moment was in 2003 after the gulf war, we sailed into Faslane with a piper on the bridge roof playing highland catherdral and i caught a glimpse of my 13 month daughter on the jetty with my parents (i had been away of 10 months). We were involved in some 'interesting'' stuff that had come at a price for about 7 colleagues on our trip so to say the emotions that were running throu when i hugged my baby (she didnt have a clue who i was) was really amazing

I left the navy shortly after, times are just too dangerous.
I adore geordie land just don't want to live there! I have got two fantastic paintings in the hall of the tyne bridge and the quayside market. On the odd occasion that I do go home I love seeing the tyne bridge as we approach newcastle airport. Bless!!!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I adore geordie land just don't want to live there! I have got two fantastic paintings in the hall of the tyne bridge and the quayside market. On the odd occasion that I do go home I love seeing the tyne bridge as we approach newcastle airport. Bless!!!

Its a great feeling how you get excited over a bridge or a harbour or just anything that is close to your thoughts!!!

still think Billy connoly is ma da thou
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:16 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Its a great feeling how you get excited over a bridge or a harbour or just anything that is close to your thoughts!!!

still think Billy connoly is ma da thou
best speak to 'jack' about that! watched the entire 2nd series in two settings, hilarious! Tunnocks tea cakes!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

my roots.

I love living away from Scotland thou, for a lot of reasons (Joke Mcconnel for one, split religion schools still in WOS is another) but the feeling when i arrive .
I used to be the same... expat kid, spent years away from Scotland in my first job and then nearly married someone living in the ME so spent some time with him there - then when I did get married I moved to NZ..... BUT for me, for now, with the little one, I LOVE perthshire. It has everything we need and I really do want my wee girl sounding scottish (the kiwi accent is NOT an option for her)

(but we are still thinking of moving to Dubai)
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

I used to be the same... expat kid, spent years away from Scotland in my first job and then nearly married someone living in the ME so spent some time with him there - then when I did get married I moved to NZ..... BUT for me, for now, with the little one, I LOVE perthshire. It has everything we need and I really do want my wee girl sounding scottish (the kiwi accent is NOT an option for her)

(but we are still thinking of moving to Dubai)
where in perthshire are you?

I had a wee job a while ago going to all the Perth and Kinross primary and secondary schools doing safety inspections. I just loved all the remote schools, what scenery.....not a drop of sand to be seen....

Perthshire: People who drive Subaru's or Landcruisers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.