Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Life afer the UAE .....

Life afer the UAE .....

Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life afer the UAE .....

Where do you see yourselves in say ten years time, will you still be here?? returned to your home country?? or moved to another country??

W10 has already said he is going back to London.

We are hopefully going to move to another Emirate. So where do you see yourselves??
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life afer the UAE .....

Already decided. Exactly 4 years from now, we head for Melbourne. Once the kids finish their education and are independent, would like to return to India.

But when we get old, I would prefer to live in the comfort of my own country. Lower cost of living - extremely affordable and high quality private health care, domestic help, family....
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

After 4 years in Dubai ( it starts glitzy and is mostly downhill thereafter ? ) ,
I took a job in Bruxelles ; true , the weather is often horrible here but there are many really good sides to living back in EUrope again : ease of travel by car and TGVs , cheap flights , great food and ( cheap-o ) booze , loadsa history , culture , decent entertainment , extremely cosmopolitan , excellent inexpensive medical services , affordable properties ...yupp , I could go on , for a while yet !
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:23 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Plan is to stay here another 15 years and then who knows????????? Still got main house in UK and several others so just need to decide where to go after here - def. not back to UK though
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:47 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I am seriously considering going back to the UK in August. I'm coming to realise that Dubai is great to holiday in, but for living and working, it's no better than the UK, and for some things it's worse. Ray51 hits the nail on the head for me. This place has malls and hotels and beaches and not much else, really. And family and friends are in the UK as well. My biggest worry is extracating myself from here. I will complete my year's contract, but what happens after that? Do you have to pay off every debt before you leave or can you service them from abroad? Will work cancel my visa at the end of my contract or before?
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:57 pm
W10

Life begins as soon as you leave the UAE I'm afraid...

If live for you = I can shop, I can go to the beach, I can drink and get laid - then Dubai is heaven.

I'll be in London for a year to catch up on stuff, and then move onto somewhere else. I'm thinking NYC, Hong Kong or Beirut if it ever calms down enough for me to get a stable job.

Dubai really is the most soulless place I've ever been to, even Vegas has more heart.

Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Think ill be here for a while

pros:

good job with global leader in our sector
live near work so traffic is not an issue (10 mins drive)
have in-laws 10 minutes away
spend about 6 months of the year out of the country anyway

the last one is the clincher,
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:28 pm
W10

And you consider the third one to be a pro?

Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:31 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be here.

I recon a 5 year plan to be here at least

But who knows
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Do you have to pay off every debt before you leave or can you service them from abroad?
You have to pay off every debt. And please do NOT inform the bank that you intend to leave before you've settled your debt. They might make things very unpleasant

Will work cancel my visa at the end of my contract or before?
Yes. After that you can stay for a month to pack up.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
And you consider the third one to be a pro?
definately my inlaws are great.

i am lucky
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Life begins as soon as you leave the UAE I'm afraid...

If live for you = I can shop, I can go to the beach, I can drink and get laid - then Dubai is heaven.

I'll be in London for a year to catch up on stuff, and then move onto somewhere else. I'm thinking NYC, Hong Kong or Beirut if it ever calms down enough for me to get a stable job.

Dubai really is the most soulless place I've ever been to, even Vegas has more heart.
NYC everytime.....
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:05 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I am seriously considering going back to the UK in August. I'm coming to realise that Dubai is great to holiday in, but for living and working, it's no better than the UK, and for some things it's worse. Ray51 hits the nail on the head for me. This place has malls and hotels and beaches and not much else, really. And family and friends are in the UK as well. My biggest worry is extracating myself from here. I will complete my year's contract, but what happens after that? Do you have to pay off every debt before you leave or can you service them from abroad? Will work cancel my visa at the end of my contract or before?
LJ you have to pay all your debts before you leave or you won't get out, once your visa is cancelled they are automatically notified. Re the visa, it depends on the company, they may give you a bit of grace time. Have you got a job to go back to??? I am sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out as planned but if I am honest, I agree with what your doing. Take care x
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:26 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
LJ you have to pay all your debts before you leave or you won't get out, once your visa is cancelled they are automatically notified. Re the visa, it depends on the company, they may give you a bit of grace time. Have you got a job to go back to??? I am sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out as planned but if I am honest, I agree with what your doing. Take care x
Bum. That's not good news. I will have to think up a cunning plan...

As for a job, I can get one pretty easily I think. I'm getting at least 5 e-mails a week from companies on the lookout for people in the UK.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i can't imagine not living here now, I love it...guess it may change some time in the future, but going back to London isn't something I really want to consider at the mo.

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.