Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Legal Advice for Setting up a Business in AD

Legal Advice for Setting up a Business in AD

Old Dec 11th 2008, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of
Default Legal Advice for Setting up a Business in AD

Does anyone know a good person/company who can advise on the formation of a "local" company i.e. with a local sponsor in Abu Dhabi? I need specific advice on the legal issues and costs involved.

I did a Google search but nothing solid in terms of contacts other than some companies with offices in Singapore!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Advice for Setting up a Business in AD

no idea, sorry, but is it a wise thing to set up a new company in this current economic climate?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:26 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewpops
Does anyone know a good person/company who can advise on the formation of a "local" company i.e. with a local sponsor in Abu Dhabi? I need specific advice on the legal issues and costs involved.

I did a Google search but nothing solid in terms of contacts other than some companies with offices in Singapore!
It is the Department of Planning and Economics who issue TL and aprove business however,all must be registered with ADCCI .
These sites should help: http://business.abudhabi.ae/egovPool...=p1692&lang=en

http://www.abudhabichamber.ae/user/S...?SectionId=579

If you are in AD,go in and speak with the Legal Researchers on the front desks at ADCCI-most helpful.
The Ladies Chamber has great potential-best qualify that.AD Womens Chamber of Commerce very strong- may even find a Sponsor there.
You need a business address in AD to (a) register Trade Name and (b) process the TL. Genre of business -very important.
You probably want the 51% Local Sponsor or Commercial Agent (Foreign Branch) set up.
Both sites explain in full
hth.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Does the company need to be AD registered?
Could it be Dubai registered?
Lots of companies here in dxb that do simple set up.

PM me if you need any specific advice
Old Dec 14th 2008, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

you had to have a trade licence and office etc in the emirate that you are working in, if you want to work in both then you have to set up in both you cannot have one in dxb and work in ad, unless of course the rules have changed but dont think so.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
you had to have a trade licence and office etc in the emirate that you are working in, if you want to work in both then you have to set up in both you cannot have one in dxb and work in ad, unless of course the rules have changed but dont think so.
it does depend on the type of business, whether you need premises in the emirate, etc..
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:36 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

There's a great commercial lawyer working for a reputable firm who does this sort of thing in my networking group mate - PM me and I'll give you her details and/or come along this wednesday for our last after work tipple before xmas and I can introduce you in person

N.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:16 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
There's a great commercial lawyer working for a reputable firm who does this sort of thing in my networking group mate - PM me and I'll give you her details and/or come along this wednesday for our last after work tipple before xmas and I can introduce you in person

N.
Anything to make sure there are more than two of you.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:41 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Anything to make sure there are more than two of you.
Indeed, what with 5 people confirmed and 4 maybes...I never was good at maths

N.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
Norm,

Probably will be there as deffo not going to Qatar this week!

Answers to the other questions:-

Our business has been here for ten years ish and we are looking to a more permanent future presence.
99% of our business is in AD therefore will look best if we are registered in the emirate.

Thanks to eva for the comprehensive reply and admon for the offer, I'see how Norm's date pans out and I'll be in touch!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:29 am

Norm,

Probably will be there as deffo not going to Qatar this week!

Answers to the other questions:-

Our business has been here for ten years ish and we are looking to a more permanent future presence.
99% of our business is in AD therefore will look best if we are registered in the emirate.

Thanks to eva for the comprehensive reply and admon for the offer, I'see how Norm's date pans out and I'll be in touch!
Will be good to catch up...if you can't make it though get in touch and I'll get her details to you anyways

N.