Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lack of Clothes - again

Lack of Clothes - again

Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Lack of Clothes - again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ove-veils.html

Yeah, so this just happened.

Anyone care to comment?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathematist
OK, my opinion of modest attire for living in the ME is not showing much skin and loose clothes..
Define what is 'too much skin' or can you even define an acceptable amount of skin? What is 'loose clothes'?
According to the last few posts, people clearly know what the problem is whereas you seem to be confused..
No I'm not confused, I know what I personally find acceptable. You're the one bleating the most in this thread about 'unacceptable' clothing so I'm trying to pin you down into defining, in words, what is 'acceptable'. Because if a 'law' was passed then it would have to be very clear about what was and what was not legal. Using terms like 'showing too much' skin is far too loose a definition for anyone to reach a common interpretation.

This is the problem. Nobody is asking people to wear abayas or kindoras, nobody. Just think about what you wear and the offence it does cause. Hope that answers your question.
Nobody in this thread suggested it except you and if you answer my question above (if you can) then you'll have answered it.

For me personally beach wear in a mall/bar/hotel outside of the pool area or transit to/from rooms is not particularly welcome.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Originally Posted by shiva
just to play devils advocate.

I take great offense when someone barges past me when im pushing my son in his buggy and causes a door to slam into him, i take extreme offense when some kid who is barely house trained is running around a mall and slaps my son as he runs past. I am beyond incensed when i am driving and overtaking someone when the **** nugget behind me in a patrol is riding my bumper as he wants to overtake that exact second.

while we have a great national debate about causing offense and respecting others i'd like to see these issues addressed as well
It is THEIR country so they can and they do these things and that is a major reason why I chose to raise my son elsewhere.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:00 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debowing
It is THEIR country so they can and they do these things and that is a major reason why I chose to raise my son elsewhere.
It's not just Emiratis, I see this from people across the Arab world who live here.

I get particularly incensed by the women who refuse to make any effort to avoid walking into you in the malls. Many a time I've wondered if the execution of a clothesline in Mall of the Emirates is worth deportation. So far the deportation has come second, but only just.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:02 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

im not directing that at any nationality as more than one are guilty of the above
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:06 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ove-veils.html

Yeah, so this just happened.

Anyone care to comment?
Don't women entering Saudi have to wear the abayas?

However, with the article coming from the pages of The Daily Mail I'd like to know the real story. Statements such as "The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak publicly for the police." don't do much for my confidence in that rag.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Don't women entering Saudi have to wear the abayas?

However, with the article coming from the pages of The Daily Mail I'd like to know the real story. Statements such as "The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak publicly for the police." don't do much for my confidence in that rag.
True, DM is hardly reputable, but an interesting situation nonetheless.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:38 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that much of the argument about the dress code in the UAE is not really about clothing, it's about power and control. It's barely about religion either, being more cultural as no law states the a muslim woman has to cover her head or face.

It's really not hard to cover your shoulders and thighs when out in public. Most of us understand that and have no desire to offend anyone. Quite how you get it across to the minority I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think a heavy-handed law is the way to do it.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
not really about clothing, it's about power and control. It's barely about religion either,.
The two go hand in hand, religion = power & control.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow

It's really not hard to cover your shoulders and thighs when out in public. Most of us understand that and have no desire to offend anyone. Quite how you get it across to the minority I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think a heavy-handed law is the way to do it.
It's just not difficult to do the simple things that are asked of you is it... The Mrs will always put on certain clothes if we are going to a mall or the likes. Why do something that could cause you hassle?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

It's just not difficult to do the simple things that are asked of you is it... The Mrs will always put on certain clothes if we are going to a mall or the likes. Why do something that could cause you hassle?
But the problem is in defining in such an unambigious way that even a mall security guard could clearly interpret what is and what is not acceptable.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:59 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. And why would you want to offend other people? I know I am somewhat idealistic, but if we ALL considered other people a little more, all our lives would be a little nicer.

As someone pointed out earlier, I do think that a lot of the offenders are tourists, not residents. It's just easier for certain parties to point the finger at expats, by which they largely mean (white) Western expats. Maybe the hotels should have a word with them before they leave the premises for a trip to the mall?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
just to play devils advocate.

I take great offense when someone barges past me when im pushing my son in his buggy and causes a door to slam into him, i take extreme offense when some kid who is barely house trained is running around a mall and slaps my son as he runs past. I am beyond incensed when i am driving and overtaking someone when the **** nugget behind me in a patrol is riding my bumper as he wants to overtake that exact second.

while we have a great national debate about causing offense and respecting others i'd like to see these issues addressed as well
The main issue is not the act that causes the offence, but who is doing the act causing the offence. I dont know about Dubai, but in some places, the ones who generally do what you mentioned feel they have the right to do so, while scanty dressing is done by those who dont have the right to do so, according to those who are offended.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:04 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Maxima
The main issue is not the act that causes the offence, but who is doing the act causing the offence. I dont know about Dubai, but in some places, the ones who generally do what you mentioned feel they have the right to do so, while scanty dressing is done by those who dont have the right to do so, according to those who are offended.
Really? The act of shoving into someone doesn't cause offence?

Double standards all round.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikewot
But the problem is in defining in such an unambigious way that even a mall security guard could clearly interpret what is and what is not acceptable.
I don't think that is difficult.

Shoulders and to the knee. Keep your tits generally away. That's what I tell friends when they come to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.