Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kuwait - Safat - Job Offer

Kuwait - Safat - Job Offer

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kuwait - Safat - Job Offer

Hi

Im almost in the final discussions with an Investment Company in Safat, and I was wondering to see if anyone can help me.

Currently in the UK i get £87,500 + £600 per month pension + 30% bonus.

Excluding bonus (which I am told is on average of 8 mths at around $100k) my package looks like $150k tax free, plus accommodation, small car, and i believe all or some costs to a school.

How does this compare ?

I am taking my wife and 8 yr old son
Old Jul 27th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kuwait - Safat - Job Offer

Wow 43 reviews and no replies
Old Jul 27th 2008, 4:57 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Hi

Im almost in the final discussions with an Investment Company in Safat, and I was wondering to see if anyone can help me.

Excluding bonus (which I am told is on average of 8 mths at around $100k) my package looks like $150k tax free, plus accommodation, small car, and i believe all or some costs to a school.

How does this compare ?

Hi,

I'm not a UK national, but if moving to Kuwait would be such a wise career move in your case? Doubt it...

Dutchie
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Nav_72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

How does this compare ?

I have a very very good friend who lives in Kuwait and she says the lifestyle there is amazing. She says they have all the amenities they need - but if they want a dose of a materialistic lifestyle they jus hop on a quick flight to Dubai for the w.e........

Im actually thinking of kuwait as an alternative to AD if i can - shes on the case with my CV !!!!

The money is pretty decent as well - will take you a long way and allow you to save loads as well seeing as your accom and schooling is paid for.... result i say - go for it...
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guys

Thanks for the replies.

Dutchie : Is there any reason why you say doubt it ?

Nav_72: Thanks for the vote of confidence - apart from the heat during July-Aug ive done a lot of research including blogs (expat is the best blog i have read"!).

I suppose this is all academic until i get the offer in my hand, signed and sealed then i have to make a call.

Have a great day
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:33 pm

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Guys

Thanks for the replies.

Dutchie : Is there any reason why you say doubt it ?

Nav_72: Thanks for the vote of confidence - apart from the heat during July-Aug ive done a lot of research including blogs (expat is the best blog i have read"!).

I suppose this is all academic until i get the offer in my hand, signed and sealed then i have to make a call.

Have a great day
Hi UK City Gent,

I assume you're currently based in London? The financial reputation over there in London on a CV is worth ten times more then a Kuwaiti reference. Kuwait is great, okay expensive even by London standards. But on the long run? Well it's your decision. The Kuwait of 2008 can not be compared to the Kuwait before the first gulf war. Prime example of that is the current exchange rate towards the UK Pound. A fraction of what it used to be. Kuwait as a country has been living off it's pre Gulf War reputation for a very long time. I work in the other side of the financial world, meaning international bad debt collection, don't let a false country reputation lure you into a decision that might look good on paper.

Dutchie
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dutchie

Now I understand where you coming - and you have a BIG point - also something that has played on my mind. I have added an extra karma reputation ot you (hope it also added to your karma in real life).

I guess I am going to wait until I have to make a decision - until then thank you for your time.

UK
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:46 pm

Dutchie

Now I understand where you coming - and you have a BIG point - also something that has played on my mind. I have added an extra karma reputation ot you (hope it also added to your karma in real life).

I guess I am going to wait until I have to make a decision - until then thank you for your time.

UK
Yes,

In my line of work one tends to master the art of reading in between the lines really fast. And Kuwait being a single industry based income country (read oil) can lure rather nice financial or human investments. But the bubble can also burst really fast. It was (mainly) the Americans that didn't want the old and powerful Kuwait to return to the stage after the war, I think they mastered that rather well.

Dutchie
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:48 pm

Dutchie

UK

P.S. Thanks for the karma, added you some as well. Was already wondering what the little stars and blocks where for.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:58 pm

Dutchie

UK
Hi UKCityGent,

Have you seriously thought of Mexico as an alternative to Kuwait? Mega amounts of money are being pumped into that country, and a with constantly growing middle and upper class there is serious work (and money) for someone with your qualifications. The rate at witch their economy is growing even amazes "Fortress Europe" and big brother China. I came back from a long term investment seminar just now, it sure as hell impressed me. although for my line of work the effects only start to show years later. Money that is being invested wisely, turnover rates that can be called generous as well. Where that kind of money is earned, the need for people like you is the next logical step. I have some good friends living and working there that basically are stating the same.

Dutchie

Last edited by Dutchie; Jul 28th 2008 at 3:10 pm.