Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Traffic Fines - new levels of fine?!

Traffic Fines - new levels of fine?!

Old Jul 27th 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all
Default Traffic Fines - new levels of fine?!

Here is that email that was mentioned on the radio this morning.

Subject: New traffic fines - Dubai

NEW TRAFFIC FINES EFFECTIVE TODAY!! - Dubai

PLS PASS THIS ON TO ALL DRIVING STAFF MEMBERS

Kindly note that the traffic fines starting today will be as follow:

Radar: 500 Dhs instead of 200 Dhs

Cutting a red sign: 1,500 Dhs instead of 500 Dhs for the first time & 3 days in jail for the second time.

Take care and be careful…

For all who drive in Dubai , All Dubai except Jumeira:

All Dubai radars have been reset to catch if your speed is 10 Km/Hr above the street speed. In other words, if the speed limit is 100 Km/Hr (like beginning of SHK Zayed Road ) you should not exceed 109 Km/Hr. [Before was if the road speed limit is 100 Km/Hr, the radar only was to catch if the speed is 120 Km/Hr]

Jumeira (Main Roads only ) - The speed limit is 80 Km/Hr and radar will catch on 81 Km/Hr Jumeira (Suburb Roads only)

------------ --------- --------- --------- ----

There are hidden radar cameras. The speed limit in these villas areas is 40 Km/Hr. YES it is only 40 Km/Hr

============ ========= ========= ========= ========= =======

Subject: Crossing the Yellow Line (Driving on the shoulder of a street)

The Traffic Division greets you and wishes to draw your attention to a serious traffic offence committed by drivers, which is driving on the shoulder of streets (crossing the yellow line). As this is a grave offence and leads to reckless endangerment of the lives of other drivers as well as being a grave breach of Traffic Law, the Dubai Police has decided to take firm action to stop this kind of offence, which is as follows:

1. Impounding of vehicle for six months.

2. Applying the laws concerning fines and ancillaries thereof.

3. For those working as drivers, they must be deported and proof of deportation must be provided.

4. Six black points are given.

5. The driving license shall be withdrawn in case of committing this offence twice, and shall not be returned to its owner until he/she passes a difficult test and pays a fine of 3000 Dirham.

6. After all of the above procedures have been completed, the vehicle will be released.

Therefore, please pass this information to all of your colleagues and acquaintances as well as drivers working for you or your company in participation of our campaign to clarify this issue and to emphasize that any offence will not be tolerated and the above penalties shall be applied to all offenders to preserve the safety of all drivers and users of the road, as well as to uphold the law.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traffic Fines - new levels of fine?!

You forgot the bit about

"if you are a local with wasta then don't worry, you can still drive like a twat."
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
You forgot the bit about

"if you are a local with wasta then don't worry, you can still drive like a twat."
shame i'm a waster then
Old Jul 27th 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Good point...probably a clause in the small print!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I swear i've seen that email dozons of times over the years........is it for real this time? It seems to be getting a lot more coverage this time round.....

Can't say i've seen any other statement issued by Dubai police via email....isnt' that odd in itself?

And the phrasing etc doesn't seem very 'duabi police'.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jeeper
And the phrasing etc doesn't seem very 'duabi police'.
You think????? I thought the comment below was pretty official sounding...

Originally Posted by jrudofsky
5. The driving license shall be withdrawn in case of committing this offence twice, and shall not be returned to its owner until he/she passes a difficult test and pays a fine of 3000 Dirham.
Phew. What a relief. Imagine if it was an easy test, there would just be no justice.

I may be proved wrong, but I think this is a BS e-mail doing the rounds.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:10 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Jeepers, ok it may be real but this is the n'th time I have seen this mail or a similar version to it over the last few years....
Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah ok...well apologies! Given that it was read out on Dubai 92 I thought they may have checked it with 'official sources'?!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jrudofsky
Ah ok...well apologies! Given that it was read out on Dubai 92 I thought they may have checked it with 'official sources'?!
You would think so - but I wouldn't count on it.
May be real tho...just doesn't seem so.