Kuwait????

Old Jul 21st 2011, 11:12 am
Just Joined

klb19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Kuwait????

My Husband has been offered a job in Kuwait, I have lived in Lybia and did not like it!
I lived in Dubai and it toke me about 7 month to get used to it and did realy like it. we have been back in England a year now and i am just wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of Kuwait and what the expat community is like?

thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kuwait????

If it took you 7 months to like Dubai - you will find Kuwait difficult in 7 days (or 7 hours!)
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in Kuwait but have to visit from time to time and spend a couple of weeks there at a time. There really doesn't seem to be much to do there and the driving is horrendous. Shopping is good though! The climate is less humid than Dubai but it is very hot with a lot of overcast and dusty days. If you had problems settling in Dubai I think you would have some difficulties with Kuwait.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with the others, if you found Dubai difficult to adjust to then Kuwait is going to be a whole lot worse.

True I spend all my time in Fallalah or whatever the place is called but besides the rather nice Rotana there, there really is nothing to commend the place about. There is shite everywhere as in litter, but also as in loud Americans in every burger joint. God they are the most annoying race on Earth and why cant they speak quietly

On the plus side the Kuwaitis I have met have been friendly and glad for the help the UK gave after the Iraqi invasion. Of course the young ones wont give a shit.

Also on the plus side, the roads are good to the Saudi border and then 3 hours later you can be in Bahrain if you put your foot down. Or you could fly Gulf Air or Al Jazeera on the cheap

Allegedly no booze but I have been offered it so it must be widely if illegally available without too much trouble.

Good flights to UK LHR with Kuwait airways or cheapish with KLM via Bahrain.

Personally given the trouble you had in Dubai, I wouldnt bother going at all
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Brit Embassy suspend services over security fears in Kuwait

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15383166
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klb19
My Husband has been offered a job in Kuwait, I have lived in Lybia and did not like it! I lived in Dubai and it toke me about 7 month to get used to it and did realy like it. we have been back in England a year now and i am just wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of Kuwait and what the expat community is like? thanks
If you have a good job in the UK then I would stay and let hubby go alone, especially if you have kids. Hopefully his employers would be understanding and offer him plenty of leave so he can visit you regularly.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares

as they do **ck-all anyway, and can be relied on to bugger all if it goes pear shaped, then if they are not doing anything, the Brits are fairly safe!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares

No security fears - just UK Embassey wanted to have additional time of before Eid as I was told by someone working there (in a senior position!)
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
No security fears - just UK Embassey wanted to have additional time of before Eid as I was told by someone working there (in a senior position!)
Sounds about right
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:52 am
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Kuwait is one of the best paying countries in the region and if you're looking to save or pay off mortgage/debt then its a very good choice.

However, there's very little to do here apart from work, go to malls and restaurants (of which there are plenty) and to take advantage of good deals on flights to Bahrain or Dubai at holiday times.

We've found the ex-pat lifestyle virtually non-existent to be honest but then we both work long hours and prefer to 'get away', to Dubai or similar when we've time off. The climate here isn't the best in the region and if it wasn't for the financial benefits to be gained - we'd be off!

Driving is typical too of the region yet taxis are cheapish and plentiful so many people find themselves a reliable taxi driver rather than risk the madness on the roads themselves.

Internet is available as is satellite tv and mobile phones are more prevalent than landline. Skype is available too and its these more than anything that help enormously to keep one in touch with loved ones back home.