Journalism or PR?

Old Dec 29th 2004, 4:56 pm
W10

Default Journalism or PR?

I'm looking at relocating to Dubai, and on a recent fact finding mission (or holiday as others would call it) the overwhelming advice was for me to switch into doing public relations.

Now as a journalist of 10 years standing with experience in web, newspaper, magazine and TV I am reluctant to do this.

Does anyone know what the jobs market for British journalists is like - even after the success of Media City?

I was told by a CNN journalist that they don't employ many foreigners at their office, but what about Reuters or Associated Press? I was also told to forget about the Dubai based newspapers.

So does anyone work in any of these fields? Journalism or PR? What are the pros and cons of each in Dubai? And what are the various salary scales like (not that that is vitally important, it's just nice to know)

In other words...help!

Old Dec 30th 2004, 4:17 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Journalism or PR?

Originally Posted by W10
I'm looking at relocating to Dubai, and on a recent fact finding mission (or holiday as others would call it) the overwhelming advice was for me to switch into doing public relations.

Now as a journalist of 10 years standing with experience in web, newspaper, magazine and TV I am reluctant to do this.

Does anyone know what the jobs market for British journalists is like - even after the success of Media City?

I was told by a CNN journalist that they don't employ many foreigners at their office, but what about Reuters or Associated Press? I was also told to forget about the Dubai based newspapers.

So does anyone work in any of these fields? Journalism or PR? What are the pros and cons of each in Dubai? And what are the various salary scales like (not that that is vitally important, it's just nice to know)

In other words...help!
Hiya W10!

Welcome to the forum. Hope u enjoy it. The FAQ threads would help in proviging loads of useful Dubai related info, but with regards to ur q, i cannot comment much on those particular jobs.

I do know that CNN Dubai doesnt employ many foreign journalists as their main operations in Dubai deal with CNN Arabic, CNN's Arabic website.

As for journalism job opportunities, u might try looking into getting a job at:

Gulf News www.gulfnews.com
Khaleej Times www.khaleejtimes.com

or

7 Days www.7days.ae

7 Days is the most recent addition to our selection of news papers and have been advertising for journalist positions for the past few weeks. It might be worth visiting their website and e-mailing them with regards to a job as a journalist. Something may come of it!

Hpe this helps. Good luck.