Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jobs for Electricians in the middle east

Jobs for Electricians in the middle east

Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of
Default Jobs for Electricians in the middle east

Hi everyone, can anyone give me info on getting jobs out in the middle east. looking for a short term contract untill our visa for Austrailia comes through.
thanks in advance
Tim

Last edited by Tintsexpert; Feb 27th 2008 at 8:30 pm. Reason: Typo, oops
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs for Electricians in the middle east

as a trade? not good, have a search of the forums and you'll see there's no money in it, but if it's more on the management side, probably more worth while...
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
as a trade? not good, have a search of the forums and you'll see there's no money in it, but if it's more on the management side, probably more worth while...
Cheers for that Bob,
Will do that. We've been offered a job for a brit firm, with good money, £2.5k a week, & just wondered how that stood up. sounds good now.
Cheers
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:48 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Just be very careful which part of the ME you're getting GBP2,500 per week from - that's GBP10,000 per month which is UAE Dhs72,000 per month - I can't see an electrical contractor getting that sort of money in Dubai, that's Banker money.

It's more likely Iraq
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinderelle
Just be very careful which part of the ME you're getting GBP2,500 per week from - that's GBP10,000 per month which is UAE Dhs72,000 per month - I can't see an electrical contractor getting that sort of money in Dubai, that's Banker money.

It's more likely Iraq
i totally beg to differ

Depends the industry

If it is a short term contract i.e a day rater in an industry lets see hmmm Oil and Gas commissioning etc i can guarentee you that there are positions available in dubai in excess of 500-800GBP per day

FACT
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:06 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
i totally beg to differ

Depends the industry

If it is a short term contract i.e a day rater in an industry lets see hmmm Oil and Gas commissioning etc i can guarentee you that there are positions available in dubai in excess of 500-800GBP per day

FACT
Fair dos, I thought he meant in the 'construction' world for electricians
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Fair dos, I thought he meant in the 'construction' world for electricians
I dont know what the deals in construction are but i am sure there are short term projects positions available.

Lets face it, a sparky back home doesnt do sparkying here, he will be an electrical supervisor or superintendant..in charge of a team of electricians.

Surely these positions in construction will still pull in 300-400GBP per day plus?

PS im an Electrical Engineer in the oil and gas, however not a contractor (more fool me!!!)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:20 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

I dont know what the deals in construction are but i am sure there are short term projects positions available.

Lets face it, a sparky back home doesnt do sparkying here, he will be an electrical supervisor or superintendant..in charge of a team of electricians.

Surely these positions in construction will still pull in 300-400GBP per day plus?

PS im an Electrical Engineer in the oil and gas, however not a contractor (more fool me!!!)
Ahh so you have the inside gen

All I can say is, hubby's in the wrong job in construction if a sparky can earn that
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ahh so you have the inside gen

All I can say is, hubby's in the wrong job in construction if a sparky can earn that
That sounds quite derogative towards 'Sparkys'

There is a gulf of difference between a 'sparky' and an 'electrical engineer' trust me

Sparky: change lightbulbs, wire J/B's and sockets

Electrical Engineer: produce a few random cut and pasted drawings from old projects, put his name on them, issue them to site and let the sparky fix all the mistakes

That way it keeps both in a job

Incidently a domestic sparky can make about 50-60K GBP in the UK right now

Last edited by arbroath_abroad; Feb 27th 2008 at 10:32 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:39 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

AA do you sell sparklers?? need some for Mitten's birthday
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
AA do you sell sparklers?? need some for Mitten's birthday
certainly, but they will be wired up wrong
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

certainly, but they will be wired up wrong
I wouldn't expect anything less
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

That sounds quite derogative towards 'Sparkys'

There is a gulf of difference between a 'sparky' and an 'electrical engineer' trust me

Sparky: change lightbulbs, wire J/B's and sockets

Electrical Engineer: produce a few random cut and pasted drawings from old projects, put his name on them, issue them to site and let the sparky fix all the mistakes

That way it keeps both in a job

Incidently a domestic sparky can make about 50-60K GBP in the UK right now
Thanks for the comments, it's Saudi on an airport job, for a major uk firm.
PS to earn 50-60K on domestics, your going in with a "three pointed Hat & a Mask on LOL.
If you've any contacts for the oil & gas industry arbroath they would be welcomed with open arms!