British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Jobs for Electricians in the middle east (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/jobs-electricians-middle-east-517678/)

Tintsexpert Feb 27th 2008 8:29 pm

Jobs for Electricians in the middle east

Hi everyone, can anyone give me info on getting jobs out in the middle east. looking for a short term contract untill our visa for Austrailia comes through.
thanks in advance
Tim

Bob Feb 27th 2008 8:36 pm

Re: Jobs for Electricians in the middle east

as a trade? not good, have a search of the forums and you'll see there's no money in it, but if it's more on the management side, probably more worth while...

Tintsexpert Feb 27th 2008 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5991643)
as a trade? not good, have a search of the forums and you'll see there's no money in it, but if it's more on the management side, probably more worth while...

Cheers for that Bob,
Will do that. We've been offered a job for a brit firm, with good money, £2.5k a week, & just wondered how that stood up. sounds good now.
Cheers

sinderelle Feb 27th 2008 9:48 pm

Just be very careful which part of the ME you're getting GBP2,500 per week from - that's GBP10,000 per month which is UAE Dhs72,000 per month - I can't see an electrical contractor getting that sort of money in Dubai, that's Banker money.

It's more likely Iraq :unsure:

arbroath_abroad Feb 27th 2008 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by sinderelle (Post 5991984)
Just be very careful which part of the ME you're getting GBP2,500 per week from - that's GBP10,000 per month which is UAE Dhs72,000 per month - I can't see an electrical contractor getting that sort of money in Dubai, that's Banker money.

It's more likely Iraq :unsure:

i totally beg to differ:)

Depends the industry

If it is a short term contract i.e a day rater in an industry lets see hmmm Oil and Gas commissioning etc i can guarentee you that there are positions available in dubai in excess of 500-800GBP per day

FACT

sinderelle Feb 27th 2008 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 5992020)
i totally beg to differ:)

Depends the industry

If it is a short term contract i.e a day rater in an industry lets see hmmm Oil and Gas commissioning etc i can guarentee you that there are positions available in dubai in excess of 500-800GBP per day

FACT

Fair dos, I thought he meant in the 'construction' world for electricians :)

arbroath_abroad Feb 27th 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by sinderelle (Post 5992047)
Fair dos, I thought he meant in the 'construction' world for electricians :)

I dont know what the deals in construction are but i am sure there are short term projects positions available.

Lets face it, a sparky back home doesnt do sparkying here, he will be an electrical supervisor or superintendant..in charge of a team of electricians.

Surely these positions in construction will still pull in 300-400GBP per day plus?

PS im an Electrical Engineer in the oil and gas, however not a contractor (more fool me!!!)

sinderelle Feb 27th 2008 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 5992072)
I dont know what the deals in construction are but i am sure there are short term projects positions available.

Lets face it, a sparky back home doesnt do sparkying here, he will be an electrical supervisor or superintendant..in charge of a team of electricians.

Surely these positions in construction will still pull in 300-400GBP per day plus?

PS im an Electrical Engineer in the oil and gas, however not a contractor (more fool me!!!)

Ahh so you have the inside gen :thumbup:

All I can say is, hubby's in the wrong job in construction if a sparky can earn that :(

arbroath_abroad Feb 27th 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by sinderelle (Post 5992110)
Ahh so you have the inside gen :thumbup:

All I can say is, hubby's in the wrong job in construction if a sparky can earn that :(

That sounds quite derogative towards 'Sparkys':p

There is a gulf of difference between a 'sparky' and an 'electrical engineer' trust me

Sparky: change lightbulbs, wire J/B's and sockets

Electrical Engineer: produce a few random cut and pasted drawings from old projects, put his name on them, issue them to site and let the sparky fix all the mistakes

That way it keeps both in a job:D

Incidently a domestic sparky can make about 50-60K GBP in the UK right now

Blue Cat Feb 28th 2008 12:39 am

AA do you sell sparklers?? need some for Mitten's birthday ;)

arbroath_abroad Feb 28th 2008 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5992493)
AA do you sell sparklers?? need some for Mitten's birthday ;)

certainly, but they will be wired up wrong:D

Blue Cat Feb 28th 2008 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 5994658)
certainly, but they will be wired up wrong:D

I wouldn't expect anything less ;)

Tintsexpert Feb 28th 2008 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 5992127)
That sounds quite derogative towards 'Sparkys':p

There is a gulf of difference between a 'sparky' and an 'electrical engineer' trust me

Sparky: change lightbulbs, wire J/B's and sockets

Electrical Engineer: produce a few random cut and pasted drawings from old projects, put his name on them, issue them to site and let the sparky fix all the mistakes

That way it keeps both in a job:D

Incidently a domestic sparky can make about 50-60K GBP in the UK right now

Thanks for the comments, it's Saudi on an airport job, for a major uk firm.
PS to earn 50-60K on domestics, your going in with a "three pointed Hat & a Mask on LOL.:rofl:
If you've any contacts for the oil & gas industry arbroath they would be welcomed with open arms!:thumbup: