Reload this Page >

Job offer but keen to know about active lifestyle/travel

Job offer but keen to know about active lifestyle/travel

Old May 26th 2014, 6:50 am
Just Joined

theramblingman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer but keen to know about active lifestyle/travel

Hi all,

I'm currently living in Singapore, 30yo guy, no dependants etc. I've been offered a job in Dubai and I'm keen to explore a different region. I lived in Malaysia so familiar with some Muslim customs (although Malaysia's considered very liberal).

Anyway, one thing I enjoy in Asia (aside from food!) is having so many different countries around to travel to, and easy to do on a budget. Do you guys get to get away and explore the region? Is there a real difference between the areas (other states and surrounding countries) or are they much a muchness?

Also, I like being active and see there's a few running clubs which I might go along to if I move. Is there much in the way of active living there? I like the idea of 4x4 driving and camping in the desert etc, but are these expensive tourist activities or do people do some of these things on a regular basis? Do you have any other recommendations?

Cheers,
Steve
Old May 26th 2014, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer but keen to know about active lifestyle/travel

It is what you make of it... loads of things to do here, sport, drinking, outdoor things.

The region all looks the same to me, or it's a war zone. Asia is much more interesting in that respect.

As for camping, 4x4 etc. Happens every weekend during Oct-April. Less out outside of those months as its so hot. But you do other things instead.
Old May 26th 2014, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer but keen to know about active lifestyle/travel

There is plenty of opportunity to explore: locally you have the UAE at your disposal: desert bashing/camping and wadi bashing. Slightly further afield but still driveable is Oman which is a paradise for hikers (in the winter, mind). Depending on who you mix with, camping can be a weekly activity. My impression of Dubai (never lived there, but it's just up the road and I worked there for two years) is that there are a lot of people who never leave the city and whose ideal weekend consists of a brunch followed by lounging by the beach or in a hotel pool. But I'm sure there are also plenty who like to experience a little more of what the world has to offer.

For running, there's the Dubai Striders (amongst many others), there's the Wadi Bih race, there's the Abu Dhabi and Dubai triathlons, the Dubai marathon etc etc. Plenty of choice!

On the end of a short flight you've got Seychelles, Maldives, Mauritius, India, Cyprus, Turkey, Nepal, Sri Lanka. If you're feeling more adventurous, Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Iran etc.