Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

JBR Completion Date

JBR Completion Date

Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JBR Completion Date

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
His loss then! Rooms are always pretty easy to come by. I guess it is finding the right people to share with that is the problem.
knowing my luck there'll be no decent ones available then
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
It's going to get uglier with this proposed monstrosity they're building next to the Greens, completely blocking out both views and light

http://www.onyx-ae.com/
Aren't you just full of optimism. I bet if you were offered an ultra luxurious villa in Dubai for free, you would walk around it, point out the tiniest, most minor defect and declare that the property was uninhabitable for you and your family.

Oh well, you know what they say, those that don't take risks don't win.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:30 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
If I was renting a ground floor apartment in the shadow of another tower with a view of the bins I would expect the rent to be a bit negotiable
Then you'll be disquieted to learn, BR, that the JBR apartments rented by my colleagues are about halfway up and with sea views... and they were very negotiable indeed.

IF there is a dip in rents at the Marina because of JBR and temporary (if large) oversupply I think it will be just that- a dip. I don't see a huge and permanent crash.
I appreciate that you've swallowed the Dubai PR dream hook, line and sinker, but you didn't see "any evidence" of falling rents at JBR either.

Maybe an eye test is in order?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:35 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat.brat
Of course, many highly intelligent people take risks and *don't* win.

And many people who aren't as intelligent but who have the sheer dumb luck to be in the right place at the right time *do* win.

It's all swings and roundabouts.

Last edited by Eeyore; Oct 1st 2007 at 5:41 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:07 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Not true obviously. Any sensible investor should balance risks and hedge to reduce them. Many property investors are amateurs and are 100% in property. That is a recipe for financial ruin. Anyone who tells you a 20% annual return comes with minimal risk is a shyster. Risk and reward are closely related, any investor who does not understand this is doomed. A 20% return is telling you something if you can only get 7% on a fixed bond. Too many property investors seem oblivious to this. They actually think it's a safe investment.

And those that take risks while convinced it's "safe as houses" are also the ones who tend to end up destitute:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...roperty101.xml

...40% price drops in a year on new build apartments in a country we're constantly told has a 'shortage' of property and a sound economy. Sound familiar?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Then you'll be disquieted to learn, BR, that the JBR apartments rented by my colleagues are about halfway up and with sea views... and they were very negotiable indeed.
Well, as I said, some landlords will always be more "enthusiastic" to negotiate than others, depending on their personal circumstances and how well they did the maths in the first place.

To give us all an idea of how much the rents are negotiable, can you tell us how much the original asking price of said apartment was and how much the tenants finally got it for?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
Not true obviously. Any sensible investor should balance risks and hedge to reduce them. Many property investors are amateurs and are 100% in property. That is a recipe for financial ruin. Anyone who tells you a 20% annual return comes with minimal risk is a shyster. Risk and reward are closely related, any investor who does not understand this is doomed. A 20% return is telling you something if you can only get 7% on a fixed bond. Too many property investors seem oblivious to this. They actually think it's a safe investment.

And those that take risks while convinced it's "safe as houses" are also the ones who tend to end up destitute:

...40% price drops in a year on new build apartments in a country we're constantly told has a 'shortage' of property and a sound economy. Sound familiar?
Interesting article, thanks for the link. I have a property in the UK which is rented out and the rent does indeed fall short of the mortgage payments. I don't mind (much!) subsidizing it because it is "home". Good job I'm making so much on rentals in Dubai then, eh.

As a matter interest, how does the rate of population growth for Nottingham (or Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle or Leeds) compare with Dubai?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:57 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
As a matter interest, how does the rate of population growth for Nottingham (or Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle or Leeds) compare with Dubai?
As a matter of interest, how many of these cities have the sky blighted by row upon row upon row of cranes towering over empty apartment blocks?

As another matter of interest, how much of their population growth is going to be made up from people who make less than 10 quid a day?

Of course, when the US market took a nosedive the UK BTL brigade said it could not happen in the UK because there was a shortage of property. Apparently there isn't! Turns out much of the demand was just speculators, there were just not enough real people to fill the property.

I'm sure Dubai will be safe though, I mean 99% of property is bought by people who want to live in it themselves and not by speculators convinced that the influx of 300,000 construction workers will create a massive market for their rabbit hutch in JBR.

My business is making plenty of tax free lolly here and is not exposed to any significant risks in the markets. I'd sooner keep half the cash in gold and then pick up a few cheap flats in the UK after the previous owners have thrown themselves from the top floor

Last edited by captainflack; Oct 2nd 2007 at 10:02 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:17 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Aren't you just full of optimism. I bet if you were offered an ultra luxurious villa in Dubai for free, you would walk around it, point out the tiniest, most minor defect and declare that the property was uninhabitable for you and your family.

You are talking utter rubbish and you know it...as for taking risks, feel free to throw your own money around but let others use their better judgement...anybody speculating now in Dubai property has missed the boat by a very long way indeed.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Well seeing as the likes of you and GarethR seem to know so much better, lets have your predictions for the Dubai property market for 2008. Come on lets hear it
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Again, what I've said time and time again is that Dubai is not like the UK, US etc for lots of reasons. What other place do you know of where those at the very top i.e. the government can manipulate factors strongly enough to alter the market?

They have a lot at stake and I believe they won't let the market crash. Even if it does, it is a helluva lot better than having to pay rent that is double or even triple 2003/4 rental rates
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't the faintest clue about me - so please don't talk to me about not winning....not taking risks blah blah....

I do happen to know about the property market and about most developers (and investors) pretty well, considering that we finance both. Enough said.

Last edited by IndieG; Oct 2nd 2007 at 1:01 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely spot on
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

They have a lot at stake and I believe they won't let the market crash.
Yes indeed, there will be a complete freeze on re-sales, that should teach those trying to crash the market a lesson!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

The prospect of a cheap BTL place in the UK does have a certain amount of appeal.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.