Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

I've lost my job and need help re. visa

I've lost my job and need help re. visa

Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

jamesdcooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I've lost my job and need help re. visa

ive been out here 4 months now, I was working for a big developer..it was the most unprofessional company i have ever come into contact with so was kind of relieved to get my contract terminated.. i have now got a job offer in a free zone in a different industry..the company that terminated the contract are going through the visa cancellation process and so i will go to the ministry to take my passport in sometime after eid. the question i have is:

once they cancel my visa how long do i have to get a new one?
my new employer wants to wait until after my probation before applying for my new visa.

once my original visa is cancelled will i go straight onto a visitor visa? if so how long do i get?

can i do a visa run to hatta after the visit visa expires? ive heard that this is no longer possible?!

thanks guys

james
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've lost my job and need help re. visa

sorry to hear this James but looks like it was for the best

you can still do visa runs to Hatta. Technically it is illegal to work on a visit visa so your new company should be getting you a visa straight away.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

saleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nice

Sounds like the new company are screwing with you to.
Do not accept this situation..all good said when we are in a beggars (begging for jobs market)
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:36 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

just remembered, doesn't immigration put an automatic ban if you have been sponsored for less than a year normally you have to exit after visa cancellation, but that's not an issue, nip over to Qatar, get some booze on the way back and come in on a visit visa
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

30 days grace period once visa cancelled, and yes you may get a 6 month immigration ban, unless the new company can sort that out, but if they are not applying for your visa straight away, you may not be able to come back into the country if immigration ban you, which can happen
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by busybee2
30 days grace period once visa cancelled, and yes you may get a 6 month immigration ban, unless the new company can sort that out, but if they are not applying for your visa straight away, you may not be able to come back into the country if immigration ban you, which can happen
you can come back if immigration ban you, they are banning you from working not visiting.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:15 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you can come back if immigration ban you, they are banning you from working not visiting.
I agree Bluecat,providing the job loss is due to say redundancy and if the ban is in fact issued,
it pertains to future employ and not 'residence' status.

Last edited by Eva; Dec 5th 2008 at 3:17 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

So does an NOC not sort this out, obviously if you are made redundant then is your visa not cancelled anyway by the company and then you have as you say 30 days to procure a job or come in and out on visitors visa
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:29 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to say the concept of a ban was introduced to protect Employers from staff leaving for other positions with other Employers.
In the current climate I doubt many Employers really want to compound peoples' misery by slapping a ban on them too-they will be more concerned with damage limitation exercises & trying to ride out this crises as best they can.....
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yep but its not employers that ban them, for eg as i have said before an engineer left to go back to work for the same british co in uk he is exempted cat but still got a ban from immigration, the company didnt do anything to make this happen and so he wasnt allowed to come back to work for 6 months. yes they may have be able to get the ban lifted but he was leaving so there was no need, yes most construction co will give you noc etc but its not there doing sometimes over immigration bans
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:19 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yep but its not employers that ban them, for eg as i have said before an engineer left to go back to work for the same british co in uk he is exempted cat but still got a ban from immigration, the company didnt do anything to make this happen and so he wasnt allowed to come back to work for 6 months. yes they may have be able to get the ban lifted but he was leaving so there was no need, yes most construction co will give you noc etc but its not there doing sometimes over immigration bans
I know its Immigration-sorry if I wasn't clear enough but it is the Employer /Business Owner who has onus of cancellation process for normal and probationary cancellation.Of course it is Immigration who issues it.

A very difficult area -and very individual.The circumstances of people(even exempted categories) 'leaving' may amount to a ban or being blacklisted by certain Immigration Officers.

I am not suggesting for one minute this applies to your Engineer but we all know people who 'leave' to stay one step ahead of the posse.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes this was a good few years ago, and it was nothing to do with the company they cancel the visa and immigration automatically stuck a ban on even tho he was an engineer....! and had been working here for some 7 years so not new, but if they are going to do this they are going to have many more probs on their hands, as unfortunately there will be a lot of people leaving the country i suspect, if you can change companies before you run out of grace period then that should be fine, but to be honest, there will be so many very skilled qualified people who have lost their job through no fault of their own, just circumstances, and there will be no companies hiring so there will be little chance of just transferring i suspect. i certainly wouldnt come over now to this country, try somewhere else.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:29 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

yes this was a good few years ago, and it was nothing to do with the company they cancel the visa and immigration automatically stuck a ban on even tho he was an engineer....! and had been working here for some 7 years so not new, but if they are going to do this they are going to have many more probs on their hands, as unfortunately there will be a lot of people leaving the country i suspect, if you can change companies before you run out of grace period then that should be fine, but to be honest, there will be so many very skilled qualified people who have lost their job through no fault of their own, just circumstances, and there will be no companies hiring so there will be little chance of just transferring i suspect. i certainly wouldnt come over now to this country, try somewhere else.
...and breathe