IPhone

Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice
Default IPhone

Thinking about buying the unlocked iphone here.
Does anyone here have one? Heard that if you update the software it effectively makes it unusable??
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:30 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IPhone

Originally Posted by Max the Dog
Does anyone here have one? Heard that if you update the software it effectively makes it unusable??
I have heard that too. The phone will work fine, apparently, until you attempt to download an update from Apple.... Have not been able to confirm this but I would assume that Apple would want to let the idea run, even if it is not true....
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:10 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

My bloke has an iPhone - good gadget with many functions, but not great as a phone.

If I were you, I'd wait for later generations when the problems have been ironed out.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice

Thanks Meow,
what are the issues with the phone?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:23 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
My bloke has an iPhone - good gadget with many functions, but not great as a phone.

If I were you, I'd wait for later generations when the problems have been ironed out.
Friend of mine said the same thing. Bit too cumbersome as a phone but the extra make up for it...
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Meow,
what are the issues with the phone?

It doesn't work very well!!

Reception variable, can't do little things like forwarding text messages & battery life is rubbish.

He is contemplating getting rid of his.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:04 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It doesn't work very well!!

Reception variable, can't do little things like forwarding text messages & battery life is rubbish.
If you've hacked your phone, you can download and install extra apps that add all the missing functionality and then some. I've been able to forward texts etc for months now Never had a problem with reception either. I think it's a great little piece of kit

Once you've got the magic "Installer.app" program on your phone, there are hundreds - literally - of extra programs you can download.

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
The phone will work fine, apparently, until you attempt to download an update from Apple....
Yes, trying to update the firmware on an unlocked phone using the official Apple method will render it unuseable.

No big deal though, you can fix it if you're reasonably computer-savvy. As for updating, you just have to wait until the iPhone Dev Team (the "official" hackers) have worked their magic on each new firmware release, and they're getting faster all the time. The latest firmware, 1.1.3, was cracked just a few days after Apple released it
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:07 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit of a mac freak, and by all accounts don't ever buy the first version of anything - in particular the iPhone, I think the new one is out here in November time, I'd wait til then, it has loads of new features and bugs fixed, thats what I'm going to do.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:49 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Eeyore
If you've hacked your phone, you can download and install extra apps that add all the missing functionality and then some. I've been able to forward texts etc for months now Never had a problem with reception either. I think it's a great little piece of kit

Once you've got the magic "Installer.app" program on your phone, there are hundreds - literally - of extra programs you can download.
Yes, trying to update the firmware on an unlocked phone using the official Apple method will render it unuseable.

No big deal though, you can fix it if you're reasonably computer-savvy. As for updating, you just have to wait until the iPhone Dev Team (the "official" hackers) have worked their magic on each new firmware release, and they're getting faster all the time. The latest firmware, 1.1.3, was cracked just a few days after Apple released it
Just asked the man about that & now he tells me he downloaded that a while back, Duh! I didn't know.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

my inlaws both have them and have been inundated with problems....

there are 2 software issue's i think...
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:37 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
there are 2 software issue's i think...
There have been six - 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.1, 1.1.2 and currently 1.1.3.

If you buy a brand-new iPhone now it will be either 1.1.2 or 1.1.3, depending on when exactly it was built.

Mine was 1.0.2 when it was given to me (got given it for free by the company as a goodwill gesture, which was nice) and there were a few software problems, but after I'd updated to 1.1.1 they went away. Had no problems since.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
There have been six - 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.1, 1.1.2 and currently 1.1.3.

If you buy a brand-new iPhone now it will be either 1.1.2 or 1.1.3, depending on when exactly it was built.

Mine was 1.0.2 when it was given to me (got given it for free by the company as a goodwill gesture, which was nice) and there were a few software problems, but after I'd updated to 1.1.1 they went away. Had no problems since.

ok, my inlaws have 1.1.2 and 1.1.3....thats what i meant, not a full technical history of modifications