Reload this Page >

Insuring Old Vehicles

Insuring Old Vehicles

Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Britisher is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Insuring Old Vehicles

Hi All,

Been in Dubai for four months and want to get a 4x4 - safety seems a good idea here.

A lot of people have told me that warranties mean little other than a chance for the car lot owner to rip you off every 5,000 km for work you don't need and oil changes for AED 600+ when it costs 60 from the gas station and takes ten minutes instead of two weeks - plus an opportunity for them to do extra work like change an AC filter unnecessarily and charge AED 5,000 for the privilege without asking first.... Any thoughts/input are appreciated.

I don't earn so much that charges like this every 5,000 km wouldn't kill my finances, so am looking at reliable, old 4x4s like Land Rovers, Prados etc. Seem to be able to pick a 2000(ish) model for about AED 15,000 and I'm willing to take the risk of things going wrong here and there and giving it to a small garage in Satwa just to keep it plodding along.

Please let me know if you think that's a good/bad idea or if you know someone looking to sell something in that range. Any tips on models and common problems or perks appreciated.

The last issue is, of course, insuring the blooming thing. There are lots of older 4x4s charging up and down SZR every day, so I mist be able to insure somewhere, right?

Again, ideas/input/experiences are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing muchos wisdom from my fellow Great Britishers.

Andrew
Old Nov 18th 2011, 6:56 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insuring Old Vehicles

DONT buy a land rover seriously do not buy a land rover especially at that budget. You will spend a great deal of time fixing it and or paying someone else to fix it.

At that budget any Nissan patrol you buy will probably be screwed
Look at mitsubishis like old pajero old nativa, old shape prados or hyundi gallopers which are just old pajeros anyway.
Insurance isn't an issue but past a certain age you'll only get third party insurance
And don't buy a land rover, seriously just don't unless you are willing to spend time yourself fixing it.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 6:57 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Ps I have a 1998 land rover discovery for sale in that price range if your interested!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Also bear in mind that for a vehicle over 10 years old, you'll only be able to get third party insurance. That's the case with Axa at least.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Also bear in mind that for a vehicle over 10 years old, you'll only be able to get third party insurance. That's the case with Axa at least.
its not 10 years old when it goes down to third party i think its 7 years with axa.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Don't buy a landrover! Expensive to fix and less reliable than nissans and toyotas. Buy something japanese, cheap and easy to maintain and easy to sell when you leave. If you are planning dune bashing then join an offroad club and ask for advice before you buy - all 4x4s are not made equal!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

you want to buy a frigging car that is over 10 yrs old out here - seriously wtf!!

you might as well stick to taxis and the metro in that case.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Only buy a landrover if

A. Patriotic fervour overtakes common sense

B. You are good with spanners

C. You dont mind paying an Indian who is good with spanners

D. You have loads of bucks spare for the price of spares

E. Even though everyone says dont buy a Landie, you think they are all ****wits who dont know what they are talking about and yours will be a little angel

I have two and am a self confessed LR ****wit who is reduced to tears regularly as they just dont seem to like the sun very much and you have to bear in mind there is more computing power in a Rangey than there was in the space shuttle however the computers were built in a shack in Bangalore by child labour. There is something very special about one when it does decide to work so take your chance if you are A, B, C, D or E

If you are on a budget then get taxis.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Shiva,

how much is the Disco ?

Disco 1.5's are the best looking of the lot
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually Britisher, at 1500 bucks I would take a punt on a Landie just for a laugh, If you are not nailing it down SZR and it isnt one that gets pissed offs in the heat you may be lucky even at that price if you avoid Discos and P38's

There was a 110 defender with a new engine for sale in Bahrain recently just over that price and there aint too much to go wrong really on one of them

Sorry for the confliciting advice but missed your budget on your original post

So Defender, classic Rangey or Disco 1 and you may get away with it just dont think its G63 AMG
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old Disco, I paid 8000k for it and other than regular services and a couple of small problems it has been fine
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Only buy a landrover if

A. Patriotic fervour overtakes common sense

B. You are good with spanners

C. You dont mind paying an Indian who is good with spanners

D. You have loads of bucks spare for the price of spares

E. Even though everyone says dont buy a Landie, you think they are all ****wits who dont know what they are talking about and yours will be a little angel

I have two and am a self confessed LR ****wit who is reduced to tears regularly as they just dont seem to like the sun very much and you have to bear in mind there is more computing power in a Rangey than there was in the space shuttle however the computers were built in a shack in Bangalore by child labour. There is something very special about one when it does decide to work so take your chance if you are A, B, C, D or E

If you are on a budget then get taxis.
I fell for a, have improved enormously at b, spent too much on c, been pissed off with d, didnt really believe e but a over ruled me anyway.

dont buy a landie
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You can't go wrong with either of these babies. I'm quite tempted myself.

http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified...ice__lte=20000

http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified...ice__lte=20000