Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

info plz on living in abu dhabi

info plz on living in abu dhabi

Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Gabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really nice
Default Re: info plz on living in abu dhabi

Originally Posted by nannyk
Im looking forward to coming we just need to sell our house!!
Why do you need to sell your house?
You're not migrating here permanently.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabriel
Oh! You meant the BE Wiki!! I was thinking of the big Wikipedia. Only now I had a look at it, and indeed, there's no chapter on Abu Dhabi.

I probably could add something....
I've set up a bit of a start to it, and posted some of the info you've posted already, if there's anything else...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:UAE_Lifestyle
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:00 pm
chunkygal

nannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the rough

Why do you need to sell your house?
You're not migrating here permanently.
we need to sell our house as we can't pay for 2 places. We would have to pat 1000£ mortgage here for this and put up another amount for property to rent there. No we are not staying permanently but we will rent when we come back here or wherever we go. We are intending to save some money for a nice little bistro we want to open, serving italian and english dishes. My husband is italian. I have heard that the cost of living keeps going up and it does worry me a bit especially if the wages are not going to rise. I also found out that the school fees are goijng to rise by 20%!! Thats ridiculous!! It will have to come to companies will have to start paying more wages. Do you have any children? Waht school do they go to? Does your wife work?
Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

we need to sell our house as we can't pay for 2 places. We would have to pat 1000£ mortgage here for this and put up another amount for property to rent there. No we are not staying permanently but we will rent when we come back here or wherever we go. We are intending to save some money for a nice little bistro we want to open, serving italian and english dishes. My husband is italian. I have heard that the cost of living keeps going up and it does worry me a bit especially if the wages are not going to rise. I also found out that the school fees are goijng to rise by 20%!! Thats ridiculous!! It will have to come to companies will have to start paying more wages. Do you have any children? Waht school do they go to? Does your wife work?
Hi nannyk,

If your intention is to save money and open a bistro - you could probably save a lot more and a lot quicker by taking an apartment (am assuming there are only the two of you?) instead of a 4 bed villa in Abu Dhabi You could also then manage to keep your place in the UK, unless you think that prices have peaked there and this is the right time to sell?

In some of the Varkey schools in Dubai, the intention is to increase fees by up to 70%.

We've been here for over 10 years now, almost left in Aug05, but a very significant increase in compensation for both of us and managing to find and secure a place in a good school for my kids made us change our minds.

Gabriel,
Which part of Australia are you heading too? Melbourne is lovely - we would like to head there too, eventually.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Gabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really nice

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Gabriel,
Which part of Australia are you heading too? Melbourne is lovely - we would like to head there too, eventually.
Thinking of Perth, but didn't rule out other places, if there's a job offer.
Otherwise, Melbourne is a close second on the list.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

mabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nice

Nannyk - am in a v similar sitaution to you, we are prob moving out in summer with 2 kids aged 6 and 12 yrs.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
I've set up a bit of a start to it, and posted some of the info you've posted already, if there's anything else...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:UAE_Lifestyle
Bob, I need help there.

I wrote something and I didn't know how to add a title. It is now all under "Abu Dhabi Accommodation".

Please look into it and do the needful... Thank you.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:13 pm
chunkygal

nannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mabsy
Nannyk - am in a v similar sitaution to you, we are prob moving out in summer with 2 kids aged 6 and 12 yrs.
Hi
Where are you coming from and why are you moving there? I think it will be an excellent experience for us and our daughter, a more controlled way of life with rules that canot be broken without severe punishment! I am presuming this is why there is next to no crime in abu dhabi!! Everywhere in uk now is ruled by yobo's who get excuses made for their dispicable behaviour. I want my daughter to grow with culture and grace and uk is far from a place to raise a child unless you don't want much for your children. [ thats how i feel anyway ] Where will you be living do you know yet?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:24 pm
chunkygal

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Hi nannyk,

If your intention is to save money and open a bistro - you could probably save a lot more and a lot quicker by taking an apartment (am assuming there are only the two of you?) instead of a 4 bed villa in Abu Dhabi You could also then manage to keep your place in the UK, unless you think that prices have peaked there and this is the right time to sell?

In some of the Varkey schools in Dubai, the intention is to increase fees by up to 70%.

We've been here for over 10 years now, almost left in Aug05, but a very significant increase in compensation for both of us and managing to find and secure a place in a good school for my kids made us change our minds.

Gabriel,
We have a daughter also coming with us, possibly our 18 year old too, but im ok with an apartment, as long as its on the ground floor or maximum 2nd floor and the buikding has no more than 4 floors!! Im am such a wimp for heights!!! lol Do you really think school fees will go up by 70% this year?!! OMG!! I called the British School in Abu Ddhabi and the head there said the fees may rise 20% which makes them about 18500dirhams for the year, which in comparrison with British schools here thats much cheaper. The average private school here costs about 2-3000£ a term!! So this would be a major difference, but 70% would be a different matter! It sounds ok what you say about keeping the house and still going there but its money we could be saving each month towards our bistro which we are intending to have living in accomodation. thankyou for your sound advice and info. hope u havin nice day. ciao for now. whats the weather like there now?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, I need help there.

I wrote something and I didn't know how to add a title. It is now all under "Abu Dhabi Accommodation".

Please look into it and do the needful... Thank you.
That's cool, I moved it to the city guide

But to do a subsection, depending on how many levels you go in such as
1.*
1.*.*

You use:
=The title=
==Sub Title==
==Another sub=== etc that's what I did for the subsections on the page, but if you want those subsections to be links to a new page, you add [[ and ]] on either side of the title word, save out the page, and then click on the link you created to open that as a new page to add the information.

Cheers for adding the info
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

mabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nice

Nannyk - no idea when/where etc yet, really depends on interview results for husband, but imagine it will be near the airport due to his job. We are moving from Sussex in UK, you? whay are you going? have you been out to auh lots to look around? apparently the schools have v long waiting lists -aaarrgghh.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really think school fees will go up by 70% this year?!! OMG!! I called the British School in Abu Ddhabi and the head there said the fees may rise 20% which makes them about 18500dirhams for the year
No, don't worry. That was for Dubai, and mainly in schools run by the Varkey group.

It sounds ok what you say about keeping the house and still going there but its money we could be saving each month towards our bistro which we are intending to have living in accomodation.
Renting it out could be an option? Like I said, if you are sure that prices in the UK have peaked/you have other good investment options, then good idea to sell and invest proceeds.

whats the weather like there now?
It was pleasant yesterday. Extremely dusty in Dubai though. Abu Dhabi must've been clearer - not so much construction activity.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:16 am
Aarvy

aamiraarvy is just really niceaamiraarvy is just really niceaamiraarvy is just really niceaamiraarvy is just really niceaamiraarvy is just really niceaamiraarvy is just really niceaamiraarvy is just really niceaamiraarvy is just really nice

Its been 3 months here and im freaky about the traffic ... Abu Dhabi is much planned and you can travel from one corner to another in flat 30 mins at worst condition...

Me planning to move to AD now..
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:06 am
chunkygal

Red face Re: info plz on living in abu dhabi

Originally Posted by mabsy
Nannyk - no idea when/where etc yet, really depends on interview results for husband, but imagine it will be near the airport due to his job. We are moving from Sussex in UK, you? whay are you going? have you been out to auh lots to look around? apparently the schools have v long waiting lists -aaarrgghh.
I I havn't heard that there are long waiting lists for the schools, I hope not as I don't want our daughter to miss any schooling at all I will maybe call the British school in ABU dHABI as they have emailed me to contact the intake staff, problem is if we don't sell house pretty soon then we can't go anywhere, hubby will b there without us!! noooooooo!! Its frustrating as it is a lovely house and under its original value by 15000£!! If we drop it naymore we will just have enough left over to cover all required fees!! Anyway............... What is your husband goign to be doing for work? Do you want to work too? I do very much. We havn't been over there yet, no need really as my husband is doing one month trail b4 we go out to see what its like, then he will get permanent contract if all is ok with us and them. They are giving us some good benefits, are you being offered any? What school are you thinking of? We live in peterborough. Ok I got to go now, lots to do, im sure you know how it is!! Ciao For now
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:09 am
chunkygal

Red face Re: info plz on living in abu dhabi

Originally Posted by aamiraarvy
Its been 3 months here and im freaky about the traffic ... Abu Dhabi is much planned and you can travel from one corner to another in flat 30 mins at worst condition...

Me planning to move to AD now..
What do you for work? What is the night life like? Are there some good restaurants and what would you reccomend? Did you find it easy to get a place to live? Where would you say is the best place to live in Abu Dhabi?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.