Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

info plz on living in abu dhabi

info plz on living in abu dhabi

Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:19 pm
chunkygal

nannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the rough
Question info plz on living in abu dhabi

Hi Everyone!
I am moving to abu dhabi in june with my husband and daughter and would like to know a bit of info about living there plz. I have looked into the british schools, they are a bit costly but we are going to receive some kind of allowence, my problem is the accomodation, I don't seem to be able to locate any estate agents with properties for rental, its crazy! Why is this? How much would it be to rent a 3/4 bedroom villa with pool and garden, or at least share a pool. We are going to receive an allowence for accomodation but I would like to know how much more we will have to put to it. What about work for woman? Is it easy to get a job? My husband already has a job to go to. What about bills, gas, electric, water, phone etc.... are these expensive? Do you get some kind of equivelent to sky tv and english channels? Is there public transport and is it expensive or no? I would be so gratful for anyone who could give me this info. I have tried to fin an abu dhabi chat room but no luck! what is the landline phone company there and is it reasonable to call hoe to uk? My name is Karen by the way and thankyou in advance
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: info plz on living in abu dhabi

Can't help, but welcome to BE though
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome,

Not many on this forum live in Abu Dhabi. Send a PM to Shak a bootie, I think he lives there. Otherwise, try the site: www.expatwoman.com
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:34 pm
chunkygal

nannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the roughnannyk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Hi and welcome,

Not many on this forum live in Abu Dhabi. Send a PM to Shak a bootie, I think he lives there. Otherwise, try the site: www.expatwoman.com
thankyou very much. where r u living then as i thought i was on middle east forum, abu dhabi.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really nice

Originally Posted by nannyk

Hi Everyone!
I am moving to abu dhabi in june with my husband and daughter and would like to know a bit of info about living there plz. I have looked into the british schools, they are a bit costly but we are going to receive some kind of allowence, my problem is the accomodation, I don't seem to be able to locate any estate agents with properties for rental, its crazy! Why is this? How much would it be to rent a 3/4 bedroom villa with pool and garden, or at least share a pool. We are going to receive an allowence for accomodation but I would like to know how much more we will have to put to it. What about work for woman? Is it easy to get a job? My husband already has a job to go to. What about bills, gas, electric, water, phone etc.... are these expensive? Do you get some kind of equivelent to sky tv and english channels? Is there public transport and is it expensive or no? I would be so gratful for anyone who could give me this info. I have tried to fin an abu dhabi chat room but no luck! what is the landline phone company there and is it reasonable to call hoe to uk? My name is Karen by the way and thankyou in advance
Hi,

I'll try to find a web address of a real estate agent and post it for you. But it is difficult to find a reliable one. I saw adverts for some that sound reliable, but are in Dubai. Surely, there must be someone in Abu Dhabi.
Don't get me wrong, there are hundreds of estate agents in Abu Dhabi, but you cannot trust their word. You even have to pay a viewing fee for something that you don't even know where it is or how it looks.
The guys in your husband's company will surely help. By the way! What's the company he's going to work for?

Villas with pools and gardens are rare, as far as I know, but I'm not into that, so don't take my word for it.
Work for women is available, but you have to search for it. In general it should be easier for a British.

Bills are not expensive.

There is cable tv here and you get some good channels.

There is no public transport in Abu Dhabi. However, taxis are plenty and cheap. Much cheaper than in Dubai, where they have public transport.
Fare starts at about 30p, and then it's about 7-8p for each kilometre.

The telephone company here is Etisalat (Emirates Telecommunication Company) and they recently got a competitor in du (just like that, two small letters). I don't know if calling UK is expensive. I have nobody there. But compared to other fares, I don't think it's that much.

Any more questions, just ask and I'll try to answer, as I live in Abu Dhabi.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by Gabriel; Feb 26th 2007 at 7:37 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabriel

you got anything you want to add to the wiki about AD?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Gabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't know if I know that much or that well.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh! You meant the BE Wiki!! I was thinking of the big Wikipedia. Only now I had a look at it, and indeed, there's no chapter on Abu Dhabi.

I probably could add something....
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Oh! You meant the BE Wiki!! I was thinking of the big Wikipedia. Only now I had a look at it, and indeed, there's no chapter on Abu Dhabi.

I probably could add something....
That'll be cool if you could, just copy and paste a set up for DXB, and replace the names with AD and add the info...because I know absolutely nothing, and spent enough time sorting out the ME section as it is
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:27 pm
chunkygal

Hi,

I'll try to find a web address of a real estate agent and post it for you. But it is difficult to find a reliable one. I saw adverts for some that sound reliable, but are in Dubai. Surely, there must be someone in Abu Dhabi.
Don't get me wrong, there are hundreds of estate agents in Abu Dhabi, but you cannot trust their word. You even have to pay a viewing fee for something that you don't even know where it is or how it looks.
The guys in your husband's company will surely help. By the way! What's the company he's going to work for?

Villas with pools and gardens are rare, as far as I know, but I'm not into that, so don't take my word for it.
Work for women is available, but you have to search for it. In general it should be easier for a British.

Bills are not expensive.

There is cable tv here and you get some good channels.

There is no public transport in Abu Dhabi. However, taxis are plenty and cheap. Much cheaper than in Dubai, where they have public transport.
Fare starts at about 30p, and then it's about 7-8p for each kilometre.

The telephone company here is Etisalat (Emirates Telecommunication Company) and they recently got a competitor in du (just like that, two small letters). I don't know if calling UK is expensive. I have nobody there. But compared to other fares, I don't think it's that much.

Good luck with your move!
Thankyou for the answered questions, my husband is a doctor. How long have you been there in abu dhabi? are there any estate agent jobs or recruitment agent jobs do u know? What do they pay roughly?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

I've been here for 13 years now. However, I'm leaving for Australia in September.

Here are some real estate agencies:

www.homestyle-property.co.ae
www.alshamel1.ae
www.futureviewproperty.com

You can also ask the help of your husband's colleagues at the clinic or hospital where he will join (I may be just too curious, but which is it?).

Here's a newspaper address for more research, including jobs:

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Index00.asp

As for salaries..... what kind of job?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:47 am
chunkygal

I've been here for 13 years now. However, I'm leaving for Australia in September.

www.alshamel1.ae

You can also ask the help of your husband's colleagues at the clinic or hospital where he will join (I may be just too curious, but which is it?).

thankyou for the websites. I was wondering what the salaries would be for an estate agent or recruitment consultant, its for my brother. As for myself Im not sure what I want to do yet, I work in sampling at the moment but i think i may want to work in a hospital helping people. How easy is it to get a driving licence there and pass a test?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

thankyou for the websites. I was wondering what the salaries would be for an estate agent or recruitment consultant, its for my brother. As for myself Im not sure what I want to do yet, I work in sampling at the moment but i think i may want to work in a hospital helping people. How easy is it to get a driving licence there and pass a test?
Unfortunately I don't know the salaries for estate agents or recruitment consultants.

If you have a UK driving licence, I think you only have to change it.
To take a test and pass.... Nationality matters a lot. If you know how to drive and you're a westerner, you get it faster, i.e. in 1-2 tries = 1-2 months.

At least this is how it was until a few years ago. I heard things started to change, but don't know what.

Anyway, when it comes to driving on these roads, it is a kind of law of the jungle. There's no road courtesy, no priority for pedestrians, no priority for cars that should have it. If you are on a main road and 20 metres ahead of you is a side street, expect to have someone come out of there and get in front of you. Of course, you have to put the brake, otherwise you hit that car from behind and you're at fault.

Stop to allow a pedestrian to cross and you get a choir of horns from the cars behind you, as to why did you stop.

While you stopped to allow someone to cross, look at the other lanes and see the cars whizzing past you, not caring about the poor pedestrian who ventured to cross a river full of crocs.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:03 pm
chunkygal

www.alshamel1.ae

y r u leaving? what do u do for a job? Im looking forward to coming we just need to sell our house!! I found some lovely apartments and villas from one of those links you sent me, some of them wont be avilable to rent untill june which is perfect for us!! Thanku
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

y r u leaving? what do u do for a job? Im looking forward to coming we just need to sell our house!! I found some lovely apartments and villas from one of those links you sent me, some of them wont be avilable to rent untill june which is perfect for us!! Thanku
I'm a Document Controller in an engineering company.
We've got our Permanent Resident visas and sooner or later we have to move there. It's already been a while since we've had our visas and it is about time we went there.
Also, we've been here long enough and life started to be more expensive every year. Cannot cope with the expenses like we used to. Rents are the main culprit; they sky rocketed in a very short time span, while salaries remained the same. Other costs increased as well, so extending our stay defeats the purpose of living here: to save some money.

Glad I could be of help until now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.