Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you could relocated to Oman, Would you??

If you could relocated to Oman, Would you??

Old Apr 26th 2007, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could relocated to Oman, Would you??

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
The only concern I would have is the imminent step down of Super Q. He has no heirs so power will revert to someone of his choosing who wont be announced until the very last minute otherwise he would be a dead man walking.
There are 2 very separate camps in this, the first being the religious right who want the country to remain true to its roots and keep a balance between religion and capital gain (with religion coming first) and there is the other camp who want to make Muscat the step-brother of Dubai and reap the monetary gains in doing so.
Until this is decided I would say that looking at property would be best left to the venture capitalists who are using other peoples money!
Aha. Thanks for these comments - really helpful
Old Apr 26th 2007, 6:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I know a man who has possibly the most specific job ever.

He teaches bagpipes to the Oman army, but only on Tuesdays and Thursday between 2.00pm & 4.00pm.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Blacked-out 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lived in Oman for a year before moving to Dubai. We miss the calmness of it all. The friendly natured locals, the beaches are out of this world and no traffic. Lived in a 3 bed villa for whats equiv to Dhs 24,000 per year Only problem was my employers were a b&^tards!

Oh well,,,,,
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

He teaches bagpipes to the Oman army, but only on Tuesdays and Thursday between 2.00pm & 4.00pm.
A you for real? Do they pay him as a fulltime employee?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

Seriously??

I can play the hornpipe for the Omani Navy

hours are flexible
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Seriously??

I can play the hornpipe for the Omani Navy

hours are flexible
AA you will appreciate this, as you know my neck of the woods is the gateway to the highlands so from our house as you would expect lovely views of the hills etc.... anyway, really hot sunny day today, just in the garden playing with the little one and the private school over the road are doing their pipe band practice.... cue Highland Cathedral..... only one of the most amazing things to be played on the pipes ever..... They are a really good pipe band so we were treated to an hour of amazing music, looking over to amazing views and playing in the sunshine. Green all around.... I love Scotland sometimes.

Are you feeling home sick yet? oh and I have some tunnocks tea cakes in the house with a few caramel biscuits!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
AA you will appreciate this, as you know my neck of the woods is the gateway to the highlands so from our house as you would expect lovely views of the hills etc.... anyway, really hot sunny day today, just in the garden playing with the little one and the private school over the road are doing their pipe band practice.... cue Highland Cathedral..... only one of the most amazing things to be played on the pipes ever..... They are a really good pipe band so we were treated to an hour of amazing music, looking over to amazing views and playing in the sunshine. Green all around.... I love Scotland sometimes.

Are you feeling home sick yet? oh and I have some tunnocks tea cakes in the house with a few caramel biscuits!
you are cruel talking about tunnocks!!! AA will be crying! His mum and dad are bringing some and we are hopefully going to have a night round at his to eat them all!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you are cruel talking about tunnocks!!! AA will be crying! His mum and dad are bringing some and we are hopefully going to have a night round at his to eat them all!!!!
if he is a real Scots man the playing of the Highland Cathedral on the pipes would win over on the tea cakes any day!! The pipes do something to a Scot that is very very hard to explain.....
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:11 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
if he is a real Scots man the playing of the Highland Cathedral on the pipes would win over on the tea cakes any day!! The pipes do something to a Scot that is very very hard to explain.....
I love the pipes, we were piped out of the church here when we go married, I think AA as too??
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Mork is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I love the pipes, we were piped out of the church here when we go married, I think AA as too??
Excellent article.
My company in the Uk has a construction firm in Muscat and there is a possible opportunity for me to relocate. Im not hearing anything too bad really from the above replies other than it is quite and peaceful.
Would those who have been have any other comments / tips / warnings for me to consider?

Thanks for any replies.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Mork
Excellent article.
My company in the Uk has a construction firm in Muscat and there is a possible opportunity for me to relocate. Im not hearing anything too bad really from the above replies other than it is quite and peaceful.
Would those who have been have any other comments / tips / warnings for me to consider?

Thanks for any replies.
go for it, Muscat is fab, you won't regret it
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent article.

Thanks for any replies.
Yes...And where have you been all these years...
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Confucius
Yes...And where have you been all these years...
Well Ork obviously.......

Or are you refering to the gap between me joining the site and my first post date?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Well Ork obviously.......

Or are you refering to the gap between me joining the site and my first post date?
The second one of course...Good that you at least rememberred your username/password...
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Confucius
The second one of course...Good that you at least rememberred your username/password...
lol... ah well i didnt actually, but luckily had some old mails with my username on and they sent me the rest.
I originally joined when I came close to coming out to Dubai in 05 with the same company... close but no cigar as they say. There was loads on here about Dubai so I just snooped around for a bit and never really needed to post. But Oman appears to not be so popular for threads so I just thought I would ask... Its a big step to consider a move when you have never been to a place.