Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

ideas/help 2 bed aptmt with 1 year old kid

ideas/help 2 bed aptmt with 1 year old kid

Old Sep 17th 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ideas/help 2 bed aptmt with 1 year old kid

and to the OP - i hate to say it but AED 70k for a married guy with a kid, is a sh*t housing allowance.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:29 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
and to the OP - i hate to say it but AED 70k for a married guy with a kid, is a sh*t housing allowance.
well I've been here 8 years and have never had a housing allowance... shoot me now. Allowance - isn't that something parents give to their spoilt brats to shut them up?

Mission - as they say - you're a piece of work... I always look forward to your breezy minty fresh rose-tinted view on life. You are the reason I stop and smell the roses...
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:35 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Tecom is probably your best bet. Maybe even the Greens?

I pay 62.5k for a big one bed in Executive Towers.

Realistically, a nice 2 bed place around Tecom / JLT / Marina / JBR etc is going to be more like 80-90-100k I'd guess.
Interested to know how ET turned out - the one and only time I was close to buying in Dubai was in approx 2007 or 2008 - ET had just been announced, 2 beds were going for 1.8m AED I think - was *this* close to buying... of course glad we didn't in hindsight -tried to get one of the corner ones 1/3rd way up with the patio terrace... how are they inside and the amenities etc...?

Just curious.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Interested to know how ET turned out - the one and only time I was close to buying in Dubai was in approx 2007 or 2008 - ET had just been announced, 2 beds were going for 1.8m AED I think - was *this* close to buying... of course glad we didn't in hindsight -tried to get one of the corner ones 1/3rd way up with the patio terrace... how are they inside and the amenities etc...?

Just curious.
Come and have a look mate.

Mine was bought by the landlord in August last year for 950,000. 1450 sq ft 1 bed on 41st floor looking out over szr, sea, world islands, down to the Palm, up to the port, the lot. Very lucky.

Not the quality of finish as you get in an Emaar place but I'm definitely not complaining, good, modern quality.

Roads are ****ing atrocious though but getting there....slowly...

Biggest bug bear is not being able to go south on szr without a 10 min detour.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mission
are you serious?? DG/Gardens is like living in frigging mini india/pakistan....and before you all come down on me for being a racist....my ancestry is from india...but if you arent fussed about the 'quality' around you, then yep...DG is cheap.
TBH, you aren't really gonna have much to do with the 'lowly' Indo / Pak families as you'll hardly see them. Yes, it's cheap and close to the shops / mall, but if you want to save part of your allowance in a family friendly area, it's well worth considering even if you're not a 'friggin' Indian or Pakistani.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:31 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
well I've been here 8 years and have never had a housing allowance... shoot me now. Allowance - isn't that something parents give to their spoilt brats to shut them up?

Mission - as they say - you're a piece of work... I always look forward to your breezy minty fresh rose-tinted view on life. You are the reason I stop and smell the roses...
Kudos to you Auto.
I have been around this forum for many a year though not quite as long as you and it's the first time I have witnessed such a response to a poster from you.
I confess I have not been as forgiving or as gracious towards Mission who- for me is a complete shi'te.
A tax accountant who doesn't know what AIDA is.....
A religious person seeking posters' help,to find a mosque in which to perform umra while at the same time advising others to commit fraud..
She seems reverend while replying to posts offering friendship with
fit young men....
For sure she is a piece of work,one which should be ignored.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get in budget to the Greens I suggest there, I am guessing she isn't driving since you mentioned the Metro. The Greens is well established there is a small shopping mall with a few coffee shops, all walkable and pretty safe with a pram. There are alot of young families in that area too. There is also Regent school (my daughter attends) which is in walking distance. I don't know what the rental prices are like though so have a look on Dubizzle.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Kudos to you Auto.
I have been around this forum for many a year though not quite as long as you and it's the first time I have witnessed such a response to a poster from you.
I confess I have not been as forgiving or as gracious towards Mission who- for me is a complete shi'te.
A tax accountant who doesn't know what AIDA is.....
A religious person seeking posters' help,to find a mosque in which to perform umra while at the same time advising others to commit fraud..
She seems reverend while replying to posts offering friendship with
fit young men....
For sure she is a piece of work,one which should be ignored.
do you really think i give a flying f*** what you think of me for someone who thinks i'm shyte....you sure do love to keep tabs on me, even though some of the stuff you mention up there i ain't got a clue about lol - i assume not much going on in your sorry sad life.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:05 am
Just Joined

teamgb is an unknown quantity at this point

hi thanks for the advice so far...just another query, need to sort healthcare for wife and baby, what companies are reccomended and roughly what annual price? is there anything you need to make sure it covers? thanks
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:39 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teamgb
hi thanks for the advice so far...just another query, need to sort healthcare for wife and baby, what companies are reccomended and roughly what annual price? is there anything you need to make sure it covers? thanks
your company should be supplying you with this
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teamgb
I would have hoped your employer would provide this (although it isn't mandatory in Dubai), but if not you need the advice of an independent broker to get you the most appropriate medical insurance plan. Posters will claim a particular company is good, or otherwise, but that is based on their experience only and corporate plans are different individual ones. There are numerous providers, each with several plans - all different - and it's impossoble for the individual to pick the right one taking into account admin and claims experience. Not unless they have days to spend doing it anyway...

Decent medical cover is not cheap, but that is because treatment is expensive. This is not something to scrimp on. If you want advice and info, feel free to PM me or contact me via the link in my signature.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:09 am
Just Joined

teamgb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
I would have hoped your employer would provide this (although it isn't mandatory in Dubai), but if not you need the advice of an independent broker to get you the most appropriate medical insurance plan. Posters will claim a particular company is good, or otherwise, but that is based on their experience only and corporate plans are different individual ones. There are numerous providers, each with several plans - all different - and it's impossoble for the individual to pick the right one taking into account admin and claims experience. Not unless they have days to spend doing it anyway...

Decent medical cover is not cheap, but that is because treatment is expensive. This is not something to scrimp on. If you want advice and info, feel free to PM me or contact me via the link in my signature.
thanks...sent you an email