Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

I would like your opinions on moving family to Saudi

I would like your opinions on moving family to Saudi

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:35 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I would like your opinions on moving family to Saudi

Originally Posted by freewifiavailablehere
With respect, you lived in Thailand right? So you are probably a teacher? That limits you on opportunities to make money. So you are probably saving 5 times what you could in BKK.
With respect , what have your presumptions about my past employment , current employment , career prospects and financial health got to do with the thread . I offered my opinion on family life here which is what the OP wanted to know .
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:44 pm
Banned

freewifiavailablehere is an unknown quantity at this point

With respect, I was trying to demonstrate that folks tend to make the best of their lot. And, Saudi money is as good as it gets for EFL teachers. So that sector kind of limits you even within the teaching profession.

I have met many 'teachers' in Thailand and many dream about the dizzy heights of a Saudi gig.

No disrespect intended. But if I was at the top of my game, I'd be highly motivated to enjoy the life, as you clearly are.

Samui it is not.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 3:43 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freewifiavailablehere
With respect, I was trying to demonstrate that folks tend to make the best of their lot. And, Saudi money is as good as it gets for EFL teachers. So that sector kind of limits you even within the teaching profession.

I have met many 'teachers' in Thailand and many dream about the dizzy heights of a Saudi gig.

No disrespect intended. But if I was at the top of my game, I'd be highly motivated to enjoy the life, as you clearly are.

Samui it is not.
So rather than talk about what you think you know about me and my life , why don't you tell us about your own experiences of living in Saudi with a family which is what the OP wanted to know .

I find it interesting that you mention Koh Samui in comparison . I think the last time I spent any time there was in 2002 when I was watching the Japan / South Korea World Cup . I remember when England beat Argentina very clearly .
I wouldn't really say that a place like Samui with an abundance of cheap prostitutes , cheap drugs and booze and even cheaper 'ferrang' was a great place to live with a family either .

I lived in Thong Nai Pain Noi in Koh Phangan for about 5 years so Samui is somewhere I used to frequent . It's okay when you're a twenty something male who wants to get pissed and get laid but I don't think I would want to bring my family up there . Like many places in Thailand the children will get to an age where they are going to start asking some awkward questions.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:19 pm
Banned

I'm not really talk about your life, I was talking about the like of TEFL teachers.

But as you have written so much about your life thee is a bit to comment on:

You said you used to frequent Koh Samui 'a place .with an abundance of cheap prostitutes , cheap drugs and booze and even cheaper 'ferrang' ;

I guess that's not the Samui of today, 11 years on - its very developed, has some excellent international schools, top rate property, restaurants etc. Of course, there are still pockets like you used to frequent, but its largely much better now. And certainly a lot different from when I lived there from 91 - 96.

Interesting that you lived in Thong Nai Pain, I used to own a business on the island in the early 80s. But I think we were miles apart, wasn't really into drinking.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:19 pm

So Chewang and Lamai have just disappeared then have they ?

Find it strange that you had a business in Thong Nai Pain in the early 80s . Firstly there really wasn't much there at all at that time .

Secondly , in another thread you say "I am as 'true' as they come. Born in the East end 40 years go. "
That would make you 10 years old in 1983 . Spirit of Thatcher and all that I guess .
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:19 pm

Find it strange that you had a business in Thong Nai Pain in the early 80s . Firstly there really wasn't much there at all at that time .

Secondly , in another thread you say "I am as 'true' as they come. Born in the East end 40 years go. "
That would make you 10 years old in 1983 . Spirit of Thatcher and all that I guess .
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MrgHx25Rz8

Samui 4 years ago , someone's holiday video . A quick youtube will reveal countless more.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:31 pm

Samui 4 years ago , someone's holiday video . A quick youtube will reveal countless more.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 2:13 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howie1973
Thanks for the mixed replies. My wife wants to come out with me and bring our 3 children, 2 boys aged 7,11 and 1 girl aged 14years. They are coming with me for one year to see if they like it or can stick at it. If not then they come home and i visit and they visit. We are treating it like an adventure, we will be staying in a compound and my wife is willing to take the hit of certain people saying she will be a prisoner. Cos we know this is the start we need to get where we want.

thanks again
Why don't you head out to Saudi alone, they visit you during the school hols and you visit them during your hols, plus the two Eids? That's what I've done for 3+ years now in very similar circumstances to you. It's hard at times, but you'll be together every couple of months. Same with a lot of expats in Saudi/ Qatar, particularly construction professionals who found themselved on the dole in Scotland/ Ireland.

Use your tax-free salary to put the kids through private education in the UK, clear your mortgage, clear any debt and build up some savings. If your wife works, there's a huge opportunity for her to pay zero tax and keep full Child Benefit, using a SIPP and your spare cash.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by nonthaburi

No, as I said there are still pockets. And I didn't say I had a business on Tong Nai Pan (I don't know Tong Nai 'pain' ). I said I had a business on the island.

And I am 50 years old, its obviously a typo (along with the other typo in the same sentence).

Last edited by freewifiavailablehere; Sep 25th 2013 at 3:51 am.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by nonthaburi

Yes, of course. Lamai etc still has its fair share of girlie bars. However, that doesn't detract from what I said about development, international schools, property etc. The Samui of today is very different from the samui you described of so many years ago.

Clearly, we move in different circles. I am sorry to have taken offence to my observations about TEFL 'Teachers'.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Why don't you head out to Saudi alone, they visit you during the school hols and you visit them during your hols, plus the two Eids? That's what I've done for 3+ years now in very similar circumstances to you. It's hard at times, but you'll be together every couple of months. Same with a lot of expats in Saudi/ Qatar, particularly construction professionals who found themselved on the dole in Scotland/ Ireland.

Use your tax-free salary to put the kids through private education in the UK, clear your mortgage, clear any debt and build up some savings. If your wife works, there's a huge opportunity for her to pay zero tax and keep full Child Benefit, using a SIPP and your spare cash.
Real benefits to this, for sure. BUT its a big price to pay ....splitting a family for years is unhealthy. BUT, sometimes it can work, I guess.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:14 am
Banned

So, OP did you make a decision? Is Saudi really the toilet you will be moving to?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Howie1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Still thinking about going to jubail as someone said big money and big savings. Would clear alot of debt and pay off mortgage
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

freewifi - Sounds like you had a bad experience at splitting your family - but can I say that is not necessarily the case for everyone else - as a former military wife (as in he no longer is military - not that I got rid of him) we were a split family in this way for many years, sometimes not seeing each other for 6 mths (these were pre-skype days) and are STRONGER for it - as are so many of our friends.

To the OP - it isn't an ideal situation, but it can work if you both decide that is the case - plenty of guys in Saudi doing it with no adverse effects to the family relationship - likewise, plenty of women in Saudi with their husbands who, while 'enjoying' might not be the best word - they are happy there, have friends and things to do, are busy and are not regretting their decision to go - because they are strong women that see the benefits to their families and are willing to deal with the living conditions to get where they want to be. There are also the 3rd group - who get there and are not prepared and can't stand it - they then usually decide to go for option #1.

Kids - little ones - are easily adaptable - anything up to 10 years will have fun - if you have an older one - you may need to consider what is best for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.