Reload this Page >

I would like your opinions on moving family to Saudi

I would like your opinions on moving family to Saudi

Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Howie1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I would like your opinions on moving family to Saudi

Morning

I would like to know your thoughts on my wife and family moving out to Jubail with me. They want to come out with me but i have heard that its not a place for women and kids really.

We stay in Glasgow Scotland so its like a massive jump from the weather here to over there and also the culture

suggestions please

thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I would like your opinions on moving family to Saudi

Hello and welcome to BE. I have never lived in Saudi so can't comment, however my husband (scottish) lived in Jubail for some time but it was about 15 years ago. I think it depends on how old your children are? young kids fine, teenagers I would say no especially if female.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 9:01 am
Just Joined

tonymachvac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

I have been in KSA for 3 months (ish)

Tough decision - No place for western women in my opinion, they cant drive, cant leave the house without a male guardian etc - Check out school fees as they can be excessive if you have to pay yourself.

Its as much a sacrifice for them as it will be for you working here.

However, there are plenty of western women here who get on fine - locals are generally fine - Driving is harem scarem at times especially at night - Im about an hour south of you.

Best to have a look yourself for say 3-6 months and make the assessment on your own experience.

Best of luck

Tmac (also stay in Scotland)
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Tend to agree with Blue Cat. If you have a youngish family, compound life is brilliant for younger kids. As they hit their teens, it's much tougher for them out here. My step daughter came for two years at the age of 14. She did her GCSEs and then returned to the UK ( Boarding School funded by the company) and did her A Levels there.

So just me and my wife here. She's a teacher and works full time and a 'decent' wage, so has her own work life and social scene. Otherwise, can be tough for some on their own all day, but there usually a few activities for ' the ladies'.

But, it's each to their own. One persons experience isn't going to the same for you and your family. Get them out on a visit, check out schools etc and take it from there. Good luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:36 pm
Banned

freewifiavailablehere is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I would not take my family to Saudi - you couldn't pay me enough to jail them. Even for a two year stretch, I'd give it a miss. Life is short.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:31 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here with my family and it's fine . My kids are 6 and 7 so we'll have to see what happens as they get older .
A lot of it probably depends on your attitude . If you come thinking it's going to be crap then it probably will be .

One last point and it's a small thing really BUT my wife absolutely loves the shopping here . A 60% sale on everything means exactly that !!

If your Mrs likes to shop then KSA is the place to be . Of all the places I've been to in the world , for quality at a good price it's very good . Which is fortunate as there isn't much else to do here .

Your wife will be able to go out without you . Don't know why people say otherwise .
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:44 pm
Banned

freewifiavailablehere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I'm here with my family and it's fine . My kids are 6 and 7 so we'll have to see what happens as they get older .
A lot of it probably depends on your attitude . If you come thinking it's going to be crap then it probably will be .

One last point and it's a small thing really BUT my wife absolutely loves the shopping here . A 60% sale on everything means exactly that !!

If your Mrs likes to shop then KSA is the place to be . Of all the places I've been to in the world , for quality at a good price it's very good . Which is fortunate as there isn't much else to do here .

Your wife will be able to go out without you . Don't know why people say otherwise .
With respect, you lived in Thailand right? So you are probably a teacher? That limits you on opportunities to make money. So you are probably saving 5 times what you could in BKK.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Your wife will be able to go out without you . Don't know why people say otherwise .[/QUOTE]

Yeah I could be wrong, however I would point out as below

Women can't drive and technically should get in a taxi with a man who they are not related to so unless the accommodation is in walking distance to the shops etc and you like walking in 40 degrees covered from head to toe it won't be a problem.

Further info Taken from Wikipedia.

Women are generally discouraged from using public transport. It is technically forbidden, but unenforced, for women to take taxis or hire private drivers, as it results in khalwa (illegal mixing with a non-mahram man).[83] Women have limited access to bus and train services. Where it is allowed, they must use a separate entrance and sit in a back section reserved for women.[70] But the bus companies with the widest coverage in Riyadh and Jeddah do not allow women at all.[85]
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Yeah - because Wikipedia and yourself know more than those of us who have lived there..............NOT...... and btw don't come on the bored after 2 posts and start insulting others - not good form.....

I lived in KSA for 12 mths up until Feb this year and had no problems going out in a hire car/taxi or with a driver by myself........ not even an eyebrow raised by the locals.... and the same goes for every woman of my acquaintence in the country, which includes women in Jeddah, Riyadh and Dammam.

I didn't work, but found there was plenty to do and the shopping was great - its about the only thing I miss about KSA now I'm in Doha. If you are on a compound it would be easier for your wife and kids to fit into a social scene quite easily. Our boys - 5 & 9 had great fun and made good friends on the compound - but it is much harder as the kids approach their teens and even more so for girls.

Last edited by dragonladyoz; Sep 22nd 2013 at 3:13 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Complete BS to say that women can only go outside with their male guardian. Women and families go out out using taxis and/or compound transport. My advice is get decent compound accommodation. Not a good place for teenagers (male OR female).
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the mixed replies. My wife wants to come out with me and bring our 3 children, 2 boys aged 7,11 and 1 girl aged 14years. They are coming with me for one year to see if they like it or can stick at it. If not then they come home and i visit and they visit. We are treating it like an adventure, we will be staying in a compound and my wife is willing to take the hit of certain people saying she will be a prisoner. Cos we know this is the start we need to get where we want.

thanks again
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=dragonladyoz;10912582]Yeah - because Wikipedia and yourself know more than those of us who have lived there..............NOT...... and btw don't come on the bored after 2 posts and start insulting others - not good form.....

Certainly not intended.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Get decent housing and a decent school for the children. Avoid the lunacy of home-schooling which is NOT a good idea in KSA
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

I think my company are putting me in the Al Jude Compound from what ive heard its the oldest one there. Am i able to ask to be moved to another compound or would i have to pay extra
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is between you and your employer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.