I-Pod

Old May 18th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-Pod

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
we only did it the once cos there was some old T rex stuff I wanted, I shall delete my shared folders.
You dont need to delete it, just be aware of its content!!

Last edited by arbroath_abroad; May 18th 2007 at 2:15 pm. Reason: i need to swallow a dictionary
Old May 18th 2007, 2:15 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
ok, i am by no means an internet or PC boffin, so i shall stand corrected,

with these file sharing hots, ie bit-torrent, limewire etc

If you are not careful when you set it up, you can allow people to take files from your PC

THe idea is that you gain a reputation on how many files you have shared and received etc.

but if you are not careful, then people may take personal info from your PC and if you have no anti virus protection then you are open to receiving viruses

disclaimer: so im led to beleive anyway

compared to me and Twinkle you are Bill Gates
FACT
Old May 18th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

compared to me and Twinkle you are Bill Gates
FACT
and i look like him too
Old May 18th 2007, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

and i look like him too
younger I would have said!!!
Old May 18th 2007, 2:36 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

younger I would have said!!!
Cut out the compliments ...I'm unprotected here
Where do i get the protection from??
Old May 18th 2007, 2:38 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

You dont need to delete it, just be aware of its content!!
by no accounts use Limewire, no, not, never, not even once. It is one of the worst pieces of mal ware out there.

bit torrents are better, much better.

You need a firewall more than you need a virus scaner, Sygate have a very good free one.

You also need a mal ware scanner such as Ad-aware, run it once a week and keep it up to date.

With a bit torrent client (the program that downloads the torrent), you can set it so that only a small amount of bandwidth is used to upload.

The firewall is a piece of software that blocks programs and persons from looking into and out of your computers network connections.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:48 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
by no accounts use Limewire, no, not, never, not even once. It is one of the worst pieces of mal ware out there.

bit torrents are better, much better.

You need a firewall more than you need a virus scaner, Sygate have a very good free one.

You also need a mal ware scanner such as Ad-aware, run it once a week and keep it up to date.

Thanks,
I had the Norton free download but it said it expired and wanted payment a few months ago...did not think this was important to renew Is Sygate the same as Norton? The name came up when i looked at it? Is it free forever or just for a trial and then payment required?
Old May 18th 2007, 3:31 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
My husband has just bought a new "I-pod Apple " and tried to download "I Tunes" from the Apple site (as per instructions) but it is saying that he has to register and fill in his credit card details, which he has done
I think you've got a bit mixed up. You *only* need to enter credit card details if you want to buy songs direct from the iTunes Music Store - and no, they don't accept UAE credit cards yet (and I wouldn't hold my breath either).

You *don't* have to enter any credit card details just to download iTunes and then use it to rip your own CDs and transfer the files to your iPod.

I had the Norton free download but it said it expired and wanted payment a few months ago...did not think this was important to renew
If you have a PC, then a decent firewall and antivirus software, regularly updated, are absolutely essential.

Of course, us smug gits with Macs don't have to worry about viruses
Old May 18th 2007, 3:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by GarethR
Of course, us smug gits with Macs don't have to worry about viruses
why???
Old May 19th 2007, 12:46 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

why???
Viruses have to be written for specific operating systems; a Windows virus just won't work on a Mac. Plus, the Mac OS is far more secure than any version of Windows, even Vista.

Most Windows viruses are written by script kiddies who know just enough programming to be dangerous. You *could* write a Mac virus, but you'd have to be a very accomplished programmer to do so, and most people who have put that much time and effort into learning to program don't want to waste it all by writing viruses

Last edited by Eeyore; May 19th 2007 at 12:48 am.
Old May 19th 2007, 3:43 am
Here comes the Sun

I think you've got a bit mixed up. You *only* need to enter credit card details if you want to buy songs direct from the iTunes Music Store - and no, they don't accept UAE credit cards yet (and I wouldn't hold my breath either).

You *don't* have to enter any credit card details just to download iTunes and then use it to rip your own CDs and transfer the files to your iPod.

So which is the bit that you go into to download the iTunes then? It kept asking for an apple ID which we have not got so we asumed that you ahve to register, only found about 4 free itunes?
Hubbie has left this task of sorting out the ipod to me
Where do i find this fire thingy?
Old May 19th 2007, 7:55 am
Soupy twist

So which is the bit that you go into to download the iTunes then?
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Where do i find this fire thingy?
Various companies sell firewalls. There's Norton and MacAfee for starters, plus a very good free firewall called ZoneAlarm. Google is your friend.
Old May 19th 2007, 7:58 am
Here comes the Sun

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Various companies sell firewalls. There's Norton and MacAfee for starters, plus a very good free firewall called ZoneAlarm. Google is your friend.
Norton said it was free then asked me to re-register and then pay!

I shall try this ipod thingy this afternoon...got loads of housework and pie baking to do first!
Old May 19th 2007, 8:06 am
Soupy twist

Norton said it was free then asked me to re-register and then pay!
Yes... you didn't read the licence information properly, did you?

It's pretty standard for companies to allow you to download a free "tryout" version of their software. It will usually only work for a set period of time; after that, you either decide that you want it (in which case you pay for it) or you delete it.
Old May 19th 2007, 8:19 am
Here comes the Sun

Yes... you didn't read the licence information properly, did you?

It's pretty standard for companies to allow you to download a free "tryout" version of their software. It will usually only work for a set period of time; after that, you either decide that you want it (in which case you pay for it) or you delete it.
So its not really "free" then ..is it
I bet they wouldnt take uae cards anyway ...can you buy box kits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.