Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How much am I worth??

How much am I worth??

Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

simon-hannah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much am I worth??

Well the first pay offer has just come through for Doha, QR34000 per month plus housing and car allowance of QR6500 and QR1700 respectively. My question is this: can a family of 5 enjoy a good standard of living within this budget?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

B.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud of
Default Re: How much am I worth??

Originally Posted by simon-hannah
Well the first pay offer has just come through for Doha, QR34000 per month plus housing and car allowance of QR6500 and QR1700 respectively. My question is this: can a family of 5 enjoy a good standard of living within this budget?
Not too sure about Qatar but inflation has rocketed so the housing and car allowance defo look dodgy. Salary is a matter of personal choice re standard of living but with 5 I doubt whether you could get a decent place and a car for 21k ?

There will be some better feedback from those who live there but your house and car allowance in Bahrain / Uae / and even Saudi just ould not cut the cake.

What about schooling, how old are your children? If they are at school age and your company does not cover this then thats another 30k pa for each at least. Tickets home? etc etc. Get the full lowdown from other posts.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon-hannah
If you want a 4 BR villa anywhere reasonable you're looking at 15-16UF 17-18SF or FF (most furnishings here are a bit crap) good compound 20K plus, easily. Current car hire on a Nissan Tiida (compact) is 2200. Go and look at the Qatar Living classifieds for information on second hand car prices. So even at the low ends of estimations thats already more than half your monthly income gone on housing and 1 car - and that's this years prices not next.

You won't be tight here, but you wont be saving much if any money - so why come??
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't accepted the job yet, but it sounds like I'll need to negotiate the package quite a lot. This was the first offer so I guess they're ready to start talks. I've also got the possibility of some work in the caribbean later next year, so the offer will need to be very good to temp me away from all that rum!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

JollyQS is an unknown quantity at this point

I would give Jay a call at QS Planet, he sorted my package out and gave me a realistic idea of what I was getting into and the trends in the ME his office number 0131 260 5932 you can check out his web site too, called QSplanet
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JollyQS, I'll get in touch now and see what kin dof deal i'm getting.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JollyQS
I would give Jay a call at QS Planet, he sorted my package out and gave me a realistic idea of what I was getting into and the trends in the ME his office number 0131 260 5932 you can check out his web site too, called QSplanet
hmmm....not be spamming by any chance?

If not, welcome to BE