Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

how is it like for couple with young baby

how is it like for couple with young baby

Old Apr 11th 2010, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how is it like for couple with young baby

Originally Posted by redf
I beg to differ. While I had missed posts 11 and 12, the rests of the posts before my request was just mean.

The only reason I wasnt sure about the kind of lifestyle I could have there was becuase we get lots of Arab tourists to where I am from (South East Asia) and they always tend to buy loads of expensive items (gold, branded goods etc) and the "arab area" has got rather pricey shops around which led me to the misconception that they earn a lot more than what I posted and cost of living was a lot higher.

Thanks to those who gave some useful info and answered my questions.
Well those in the Middle East do earn a lot more, and yes, the cost of living is high. But at nearly 4k GBP/ week in the back burner you are not going to go hungry on Thursdays.

The thing that will shock you will be the rent. You might spend c.50-60k GBP/ year on rent for a 'modest' house. After that things are not too expensive unless you blow it all on diamonds, gold and expensive all you can drink buffets each week.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how is it like for couple with young baby

My wife and I came here 4 years ago with a 6 month old baby and we've since had another baby just over a year ago. We're all very happy here and we find the quality of life (for us) better than it was in the UK.

We didn't use the Corniche hospital for the birth but know plenty of others that did so there are options.

The streets are safe to walk around in (you'll learn to ignore the stares), but as others have mentioned the pavements are a bit hit and miss. It can get busy in the city, but we live off island where it's a little quieter, although the city's gradually moving out to us!

I imagine you have a fairly good quality of life already, I know money isn't everything but it certainly helps, but I'd say go for it - we thought we'd give it a go otherwise we'd regret what might have been and said we'd leave again in 6 months if it didn't work out. As I said, that was 4 years ago and we've got no plans to leave in the near future (insha'allah!)

If you need hospital advice feel free to PM me, and don't worry about the comments received so far, you'll learn to love this board.....

All the best.