Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

how is it like for couple with young baby

how is it like for couple with young baby

Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

redf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how is it like for couple with young baby

hello moderator. Could you please delete this whole thread as I don't seem to be getting much help as I am snide remarks.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:22 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redf
ok seems I got off on the wrong foot by mentioning the salary and therefore highly unlikely to be helped further!
don't think it's anything to do with the salary, but more with the type of questions you ask...
as others have said, how could you not get by on a 90,000 dhs per month salary, even when you'd have to pay for your own accomodation...
asking if people have had babies in AD...yes of course, it's a city where people do everything people do everywhere else in the world, so yes, babies are being born here every day...
walking down the street...is just that, walking down the street...but as it's the Middle East, it gets pretty hot so most people will prefer to go places by car...
working hours...your husbands company will be able to tell you, or maybe read his contract...
part time work...is not common around here, depends also on what sort of work you do, pay might be very disappointing...and there is no childcare like back in the UK, so you will have to employ a maid/nanny to look after your child.
starting up your own company...not easy, lots of rules and regulations...what sort of company were you thinking of?

there is so much information on this site, it's really a matter of typing some key words into the search box and you'll find everything you want to know and more...
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

hello moderator. Could you please delete this whole thread as I don't seem to be getting much help as I am snide remarks.
no not snide remarks. but common sense. walking down the street, even if you google abu dhabi or dubai you will see that its a modern high rise city/s where people come and go, there is no problem with walking down the street, yes its the middle east but its not in the middle of a war zone! 200kgbp in my book is an extremely high salary which is not the norm nowadays. but going back to babies, being in a middle eastern country, whereby the local inhabitants do have large families, do you not think that they will have hospitals that are fine to use. yes if you were in the middle of the empty quarter may be a little different, but you are not you are coming to the capital city, whereby the hospitals employ mostly expat doctors and nurses.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

lol redf..get use to it, if everybody on this forum cried to the moderator to have threads deleted cos other posters were being unkind........there would be no threads left!!!
We are a helpful lot..well mostly :-) but you really do need to search before asking.

oh and...our replies have bollocks to do with your salary, do you really have to ask if you will be able to live on 90,000dhs a month? If you don't know if you can live (anywhere) for the equiv of +16,000gdp a month you really,really haven't done any research whatsoever and you will find it difficult to adjust to the cultural and official way of life here.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
don't think it's anything to do with the salary, but more with the type of questions you ask...
yeah, but at least she didn't also ask whether there any black women in abu dhabi...lmao...

MM, xx
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah, but at least she didn't also ask whether there any black women in abu dhabi...lmao...

MM, xx
lol!!!!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
shall i answer that question, (sush there are sush)
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

how about "can you tell me where to get drinking water from".
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:41 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

there's a whole Wiki section on giving birth in teh UAE - albeit needing a bit more infor on AD hospitals, but it'll give you an idea.

As for walking, well, the streets are safe, if that's what you wanted to know, but as for being walkable with a buggy, well... they're still thinking about that one! Oh, and there's the heat. Everyone who hasn't experienced it yet kind of pooh-poohs it, thinking "oh, but I like a nice spot of sunshine!"... er, no. It's more than nasty.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes breaking news.. abu dhabi now has pavements in most places... when i had a baby in a buggy some 12 years ago, i had a choice, walk in the road or push it through the sand and up and down the massive kerb stones..! things have improved now.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You've gotten pretty good advice actually...just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it won't be of help to others.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

ok seems I got off on the wrong foot by mentioning the salary and therefore highly unlikely to be helped further!
Trust me, the salary will be of no surprise to anyone on here. I know many who earn more.

but the question about can you live a modest life on that salary... come on are you for real?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
You've gotten pretty good advice actually...just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it won't be of help to others.
We do love you Bob xxx
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

redf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
I beg to differ. While I had missed posts 11 and 12, the rests of the posts before my request was just mean.

The only reason I wasnt sure about the kind of lifestyle I could have there was becuase we get lots of Arab tourists to where I am from (South East Asia) and they always tend to buy loads of expensive items (gold, branded goods etc) and the "arab area" has got rather pricey shops around which led me to the misconception that they earn a lot more than what I posted and cost of living was a lot higher.

Thanks to those who gave some useful info and answered my questions.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I beg to differ. While I had missed posts 11 and 12, the rests of the posts before my request was just mean.
Ok people, lets stop being mean to Redf......
Darling with respect, if you look at most of the threads on this site, we are at times... mean/insulting/p*sstaking/kind/sympathetic/helpful etc

Once you get to know us you will grow to love us........or not!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.