House Maid

Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Maid

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
There are plenty of employers who pay more than the minimum- mostly Westerners. However, they remain in the minority. By far the vast majority of maids here (I understand) are on the minimum. Minimum wage, minimum time off, minimum flights home. I would be delighted to think somebody could prove me wrong.

I don't have a maid and have never really had time to think about what I might pay one if I did. I think you need to have a look on EW if you want to get into all that. They love any threads about maids over there!
No, I wasn't getting into that..... we both agree that maids are (always) badly paid, a few employers pay more than they legally have to, and that conditions (in every sense) can be appalling.

Minimum wage in KSA? Haven't heard of one single/universal figure but 'maid agencies' who register with the Ministry of Labour are expected to sign up to an agreement made between the ministry and the various embassies.

Many Saudi families won't pay this, even though it's often even less than the Dubai figure, and try to hire 'illegals' - with wholly predictable results.......

......... and even seemingly good examples are often tinged with sadness (such as this article from Arab News today).........

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&sect...tegory=Kingdom
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:04 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
No, I wasn't getting into that..... we both agree that maids are (always) badly paid, a few employers pay more than they legally have to, and that conditions (in every sense) can be appalling.

Minimum wage in KSA? Haven't heard of one single/universal figure but 'maid agencies' who register with the Ministry of Labour are expected to sign up to an agreement made between the ministry and the various embassies.

Many Saudi families won't pay this, even though it's often even less than the Dubai figure, and try to hire 'illegals' - with wholly predictable results.......

......... and even seemingly good examples are often tinged with sadness (such as this article from Arab News today).........

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&sect...tegory=Kingdom
where/what is KSA?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
where/what is KSA?
it's the paradise of freedom you get to when you keep going on SZ Rd past Abu Dhabi.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
it's the paradise of freedom you get to when you keep going on SZ Rd past Abu Dhabi.
otherwise known as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:02 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
otherwise known as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
ah right cheers for that,

sounds pretty scary to be honest does saudi.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by twisty100
20 DHS is £2.73

Minimum wage in the UK is £5.52, after tax circa £4,14 (dont know what the UK base tax rate is but i'm presuming it 25%).

£1,41 less per hour than the UK...

Don't see what all the fuss is about?

Try getting a job in Pakistan, India or Sri Lanka that pays £2,73 per hour, in fact try getting a job, or running water/electricty...
You would not pay tax on minimum wage and if you had kids you would also get family tax credit.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

What do you pay YOUR maid?

No idea what the 'going rate' is...

I pay AED 2,500 a month - 5 hours daily and if little one is off from school, then an extra 50 dhs - then it is from 7am and 5 pm..... Still feel this is on the low side, will increase it once she completes 6 months....
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
No idea what the 'going rate' is...

I pay AED 2,500 a month - 5 hours daily and if little one is off from school, then an extra 50 dhs - then it is from 7am and 5 pm..... Still feel this is on the low side, will increase it once she completes 6 months....
that is way over the minimum, and normal, wage...and i thought i was bad...

MM, xx
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
that is way over the minimum, and normal, wage...and i thought i was bad...

MM, xx
Not really - remember I don't provide accommodation and visa (she is sponsored by her husband)
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Not really - remember I don't provide accommodation and visa (she is on her spouse's visa)
ahh...didn't know it was without accomodation, that makes sense then...

MM, xx