Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hiring a car in the UK

Hiring a car in the UK

Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all
Default Hiring a car in the UK

I'm going back to the UK in a couple of weeks and need to hire a car.

I have found some good quotes for around £150 for 10 days but then they want £25 a day for young driver surcharge. Does anyone know any companies who have lower driver surcharges. I'm 24 and will be flying to Manchester Airport.

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Hiring a car in the UK

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS
I'm going back to the UK in a couple of weeks and need to hire a car.

I have found some good quotes for around £150 for 10 days but then they want £25 a day for young driver surcharge. Does anyone know any companies who have lower driver surcharges. I'm 24 and will be flying to Manchester Airport.

Thanks
Don't get me started mate. I'm 24 too.

It's ****ing infuriating. I did find a site that DIDN'T charge but I can't remember the name of them and they ended up taking money for insurance (70quid) and then saying the booking wasn't available and offered only cars WITH the surcharge. Waited 7 days for refund. *****.

Basically, no pal. I've taken it on the chin before because it's only been 3 days or whatever, but anything longer than that and you're stuffed.

Can you borrow a car or be put as named driver for 10 days on your folks one or something?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scamp
Don't get me started mate. I'm 24 too.

It's ****ing infuriating. I did find a site that DIDN'T charge but I can't remember the name of them and they ended up taking money for insurance (70quid) and then saying the booking wasn't available and offered only cars WITH the surcharge. Waited 7 days for refund. *****.

Basically, no pal. I've taken it on the chin before because it's only been 3 days or whatever, but anything longer than that and you're stuffed.

Can you borrow a car or be put as named driver for 10 days on your folks one or something?
The annoying part is I am 25 in May, have never claimed and have a clean driving license. Not mentioning the fact I have driven in Dubai for the past 6 months. Yet they will not charge some dim witted driver a extra premium. Really winds me up!

I think that might be the best option, will speak to the folks tonight. The company that I work for said they will pay for the car hire I just don't think they would be to impressed if they had to pay the surcharge as well!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS
The annoying part is I am 25 in May, have never claimed and have a clean driving license. Not mentioning the fact I have driven in Dubai for the past 6 months. Yet they will not charge some dim witted driver a extra premium. Really winds me up!

I think that might be the best option, will speak to the folks tonight. The company that I work for said they will pay for the car hire I just don't think they would be to impressed if they had to pay the surcharge as well!
Why not give them the quote for the whole lot and see what they say?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
Why not give them the quote for the whole lot and see what they say?
It's worth a try. I don't mind paying towards it either to be honest. It's just the price that is annoying.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

Might be worth trying Rhino car hire i think their young driver age is under 23?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fezzer
Might be worth trying Rhino car hire i think their young driver age is under 23?
There are a few on there with no YDS.

Great find, thanks Fezzer.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Fezzer will have a look.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Just had a look Fezzer and some of them don't charge for 24 and above!

I echo Scamps sentiments and it is a great find! saved me about £250
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

No probs. Just remember to bring the smallprint with you when you pick up the car in case the hire company they use has a different idea.