Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

hi to everyone kind enough to read newbie questions

hi to everyone kind enough to read newbie questions

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

morina is an unknown quantity at this point
Post hi to everyone kind enough to read newbie questions

I've sort of got job in Duabi with Emirates. I got through all the 5 interviews and tests to be told the job is on hold so they will be in touch jeje. I thought this is a good time for me to start doing my research.
I got some questions that haven't been answered after I ran a search here and I hope you don't mind giving me honest answers:
  1. How many mixed race couples do you see in Dubai and has there ever been an issue? My fella and i are distinctly different.
  2. I have read all the stuff about co habiting and get the impression it works as no one else knows and the lady doesn't get knocked up jeje. But does the fact we are of different race perhaps draw more attention to us should we chose this path?
  3. If I am a woman working in Duabi alone will I get any hassle? In terms of career woman etc? Also I have read some nasty stories of women getting groped on the streets - is this really the case? Is it safe for a woman to be out alone at night? I know crime is low but do you get leered at a lot for no reason? And no I don't dress or behave like a hooker
  4. Can women wear bikinis on the beach? Or is that at private beach hotels only? How do you know it is a private beach hotel beach? Are there fences on the beach?
  5. Are there good health clubs (gym, pool, classes. spa) in Dubai and are they expensive?
  6. I know the salary is tax free but is it really? Do really just get the exact annual salary divided by 12? Or are there nasty surprises? Or other taxes??
  7. Does anyone know of anyone that works for Emirates? What kind of accommodation do they provide and what are they like to work for?

Pardon me for all these perhaps ridiculous questions. I fear I have some more but I can't quite recall them yet....

My warmest thanks to all that answer.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hi to everyone kind enough to read newbie questions

1. How many mixed race couples do you see in Dubai and has there ever been an issue? My fella and i are distinctly different. loads of mixed race couples so there shouldn't be an issue...
  2. I have read all the stuff about co habiting and get the impression it works as no one else knows and the lady doesn't get knocked up jeje. But does the fact we are of different race perhaps draw more attention to us should we chose this path? race irrelevant, it's illegal at the end of the day, so it's a risk you take...many people do it...
  3. If I am a woman working in Duabi alone will I get any hassle? In terms of career woman etc? Also I have read some nasty stories of women getting groped on the streets - is this really the case? Is it safe for a woman to be out alone at night? I know crime is low but do you get leered at a lot for no reason? And no I don't dress or behave like a hooker no hassle, overall it is very safe here, certainly safer than the uk...
  4. Can women wear bikinis on the beach? Or is that at private beach hotels only? How do you know it is a private beach hotel beach? Are there fences on the beach? yes, bikinis on the beach, no topless though...
  5. Are there good health clubs (gym, pool, classes. spa) in Dubai and are they expensive? yes, average cost i think...
  6. I know the salary is tax free but is it really? Do really just get the exact annual salary divided by 12? Or are there nasty surprises? Or other taxes?? municipality tax on your electricity/water bill...
  7. Does anyone know of anyone that works for Emirates? What kind of accommodation do they provide and what are they like to work for? there are some emirates people on here, sure they will help, do a search too, there have been similar questions...
MM, xx
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morina
I've sort of got job in Duabi with Emirates. I got through all the 5 interviews and tests to be told the job is on hold so they will be in touch jeje. I thought this is a good time for me to start doing my research.
I got some questions that haven't been answered after I ran a search here and I hope you don't mind giving me honest answers:
  1. How many mixed race couples do you see in Dubai and has there ever been an issue? My fella and i are distinctly different.
  2. I have read all the stuff about co habiting and get the impression it works as no one else knows and the lady doesn't get knocked up jeje. But does the fact we are of different race perhaps draw more attention to us should we chose this path?
  3. If I am a woman working in Duabi alone will I get any hassle? In terms of career woman etc? Also I have read some nasty stories of women getting groped on the streets - is this really the case? Is it safe for a woman to be out alone at night? I know crime is low but do you get leered at a lot for no reason? And no I don't dress or behave like a hooker
  4. Can women wear bikinis on the beach? Or is that at private beach hotels only? How do you know it is a private beach hotel beach? Are there fences on the beach?
  5. Are there good health clubs (gym, pool, classes. spa) in Dubai and are they expensive?
  6. I know the salary is tax free but is it really? Do really just get the exact annual salary divided by 12? Or are there nasty surprises? Or other taxes??
  7. Does anyone know of anyone that works for Emirates? What kind of accommodation do they provide and what are they like to work for?

Pardon me for all these perhaps ridiculous questions. I fear I have some more but I can't quite recall them yet....

My warmest thanks to all that answer.
I agree with about 95 per cent of MM's replies (she will have fainted, reading that....), BUT.....

..........Emirates-provided accomodation is STRICTLY single person only. Not sure if they offer you an 'allowance' to go and find your own, so worth checking......

.......your 'distinctly different' race situation - you will be accepted everywhere (restaurants, bars, etc) if he is black and you are white.....

......... but in my experience, if you are the other way round, it can be slightly less comfortable........ a chap called Lionheart hangs around this neck of the woods and may offer you further guidance (as that is his situation).

Good luck.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:22 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

What does 'jeje' mean?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
What does 'jeje' mean?
It's a term African-American-British folks use...Signifies extreme excitement...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:31 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
It's a term African-American-British folks use...Signifies extreme excitement...
So 'je' is just mild excitement?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
So 'je' is just mild excitement?
Ye...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

i thought it was a horse....
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
i thought it was a horse....
Only if she was Irish...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:58 am
Just Joined

morina is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all the replies. Jeje is laughing not mild excitement where I come from and can Lionheart please get in touch? I cannot PM due to newbie status.

Last edited by morina; Jul 4th 2008 at 9:02 am.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Just make a couple more posts to the thread and you will be able to.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:06 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

All my spanish friends use jejeje where I'd use hehehe...
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:58 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you make a few more posts, just sent me a short private message and I will give you a few words of advice by return. My other half is African and our daughter consequently of mixed race. We have lived here for just over two years after significantly longer in Saudi Arabia.