Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help! Wrong Decision!

Help! Wrong Decision!

Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help! Wrong Decision!

Hi

What do you do if you freshly moved to a country last week in the ME but think you may have made a boo-boo? I shall say no more suffice to say that I'm thinking I have 2 options: escape to somewhere else within the middle east as i'm already here (is that possible?!) or return home looking rather stupid and having put my life on hold for 2 months while making this mistake. I see not much room for improvement with the job.

Any input welcomed such as: Is it worth hopping on a plane to Dubai and making myself available for interview? Hmmm...
Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Wrong Decision!

Originally Posted by stuabroad
Hi

What do you do if you freshly moved to a country last week in the ME but think you may have made a boo-boo? I shall say no more suffice to say that I'm thinking I have 2 options: escape to somewhere else within the middle east as i'm already here (is that possible?!) or return home looking rather stupid and having put my life on hold for 2 months while making this mistake. I see not much room for improvement with the job.

Any input welcomed such as: Is it worth hopping on a plane to Dubai and making myself available for interview? Hmmm...
It's early days Stu, moving to a country with a different culture is hard with lots of different emotions, but you need to give it longer, what's the worst that can happen???

Stay with it a wee while longer and then have a look if still unhappy about it then move on not back...BE peeps will always be onsight to give support if required
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:46 am
Marching on Together

justin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nice

Hi

Stu,

I am with paidtoplease here fella. Stick at it, give it another few months at least, you also then don't look the complete numpty if you go home (not that you will, it is always quick for people to say I told you so, but tell them at least I tried).

To be honest, I have been here (Oman) nearly three months, and it was a massive culture shock for me and the family, but we stuck at it (including putting up with ants living with you as the cyclone washed them out) and we do now honestly feel that it was the biggest and bravest decision that we have ever made and would not at the moment want to go back.

While work may suck, the life style here is much better, and if you do feel that the country you are in is not to your liking, then start reviewing the situation and if need be looking elsewhere in the ME, but be honest with yourself and also weigh up what you are going back to compared to what you could be leaving behind.

All the best Dear Deirdre
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Justin, did you find Henry ???
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Really sorry it's not working out so far, but agree with the others, give it a bit more time, things might get better. As far as I'm concerned, don't give a monkeys what people at home think if you do decide to go back - at least you gave it a go, which is more than most of them have probably, and you can't just stay somewhere having a shitey time because you're worried what people will say...

Hope things start looking up soon though...

MM, xx
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
BE peeps will always be onsight to give support if required
does that involve alcohol?

really though, do give it a few months... everyone i know that's moved out there has had a rough start but is loving it now
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Cham128;5210591]does that involve alcohol?

Yip but you need to wait for BC to open ''The Chippy''
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:28 am
Greying Member

Rog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

The culture shock can be a bugger, though to echo everyone else, you do get used to it and even embrace it. It can seem very difficult - you are at exactly the point when it seems the worst I am sure.

If the job is the main issue, then sure, consider your options, but perhaps try to understand the corporate culture as such where you are, there may be ways and means to better your situation. It may require development of relationships etc. rather than relying on "standards", or "good business practice" which you may be used to.

I would recommend guarding against making any rash judgements, or hasty moves. Suck it up and give everything a chance - IT IS different and it takes some getting used to, but difference is probably why you came here in the first place, no?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:31 am
Just Joined

karis is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nice

I have been here 2 weeks, hubby working away in oman, it is hard not knowing anybody. not like the uk where you can just jump into a car and go out, the roads and the drivers here are crazy.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by karis
I have been here 2 weeks, hubby working away in oman, it is hard not knowing anybody. not like the uk where you can just jump into a car and go out, the roads and the drivers here are crazy.
I'd love to see a sat nav company try and map dubai... The road layout changes daily there...

you're not wrong about crazy drivers though!
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:38 am
Just Joined

karis is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nicekaris is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cham128
I'd love to see a sat nav company try and map dubai... The road layout changes daily there...

you're not wrong about crazy drivers though!
they are just so fast, seems you are a target for some of the drivers
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

they are just so fast, seems you are a target for some of the drivers
Driving in Dubai is a strain but again after time you get used to it, just always remember ..expect the unexpected and use those two eyes at the back of your head as well
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:07 am
W10

Is there a real culture shock in Dubai?

Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Driving in Dubai is a strain but again after time you get used to it, just always remember ..expect the unexpected and use those two eyes at the back of your head as well
Two eyes, Think you need Ten, Half the drivers need a red flag in front of them.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Two eyes, Think you need Ten, Half the drivers need a red flag in front of them.

Honestly you will get used to it, try going out on the quiet days like Friday a.m and just drive around and get you bearings, ignore anyone that flashes or toots horns or sit on your tail, like back home a wee touch on the breaks gets them to back off and don't every feel intimidated.... yes red flags would be a good idea unfortunatly these people have got a licence instead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.