Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help - need to decide where to live in Middle East

Help - need to decide where to live in Middle East

Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help - need to decide where to live in Middle East

I wonder if you kind people might help me in deciding where to live.
I work in construction and may have a choice of places in which to settle for the foreseeable future.
I was brought up in Bahrain (aged 4-16) and loved the way of life, the people etc. Parents spent some time in Oman (i visited twice) and loved it even more, and also spent some time in Abu Dhabi - they had some bad experiences which didn't have too much to do with the place or people (except one little shit who decided to keep my Dad's last month salary & gratuity when he had just been diagnosed with teminal cancer).
So, my question for you all (got there eventually) is in what order of preference do would you place Oman, Bahrain, Dubai/AbuDhabi/Qatar (that's my preference at the moment, with the last three equal to each other).
Don't get mw wrong, i may have little or no choice, but i wanted an informed opinion from you guys who might have more experience than i.
My particular concerns are;
- Cost of rents in Dubai (i wouldn't want to live in an apartment with my wife and little girl - much rather a villa. Is this common?
- I know next to nothing about Qatar;
- I'm pretty sure there isn't too much construction work going on i n Oman, so am not holding my breath on that;
- Traffic/long working hours in Dubai - it seems like a nightmare. Is it that bad?
Many thanks in advance,
Chris
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:04 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default qatar

Originally Posted by twistopher
I wonder if you kind people might help me in deciding where to live.
I work in construction and may have a choice of places in which to settle for the foreseeable future.
I was brought up in Bahrain (aged 4-16) and loved the way of life, the people etc. Parents spent some time in Oman (i visited twice) and loved it even more, and also spent some time in Abu Dhabi - they had some bad experiences which didn't have too much to do with the place or people (except one little shit who decided to keep my Dad's last month salary & gratuity when he had just been diagnosed with teminal cancer).
So, my question for you all (got there eventually) is in what order of preference do would you place Oman, Bahrain, Dubai/AbuDhabi/Qatar (that's my preference at the moment, with the last three equal to each other).
Don't get mw wrong, i may have little or no choice, but i wanted an informed opinion from you guys who might have more experience than i.
My particular concerns are;
- Cost of rents in Dubai (i wouldn't want to live in an apartment with my wife and little girl - much rather a villa. Is this common?
- I know next to nothing about Qatar;
- I'm pretty sure there isn't too much construction work going on i n Oman, so am not holding my breath on that;
- Traffic/long working hours in Dubai - it seems like a nightmare. Is it that bad?
Many thanks in advance,
Chris
You can ask the folks in qatarliving.com , or you can search that forum about anything. And maybe have a look at their photo gallery, some pictures from Doha there.

Good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:55 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - need to decide where to live in Middle East

Like the name, Twis.

What aspect of construction are you into?

For a quick answer your questions:

Villas are expensive. We pay AED 140k per annum for a 3 bed in Emirates Hills. But with kids, I think Villas are preferrable.

I've been to Qatar for a couple of business trips. Different, but not somewhere I'd want to live. That's not to say others wouldn't like it, and I know some who do (eh, Malteser?)

Oman - no idea, probably a good assessment. Our company has an office there, and the MD moved to Dubai last year, where staff levels have doubled. Does that tell a story?

Traffic - depends on where you live and work. Heading towards Sharjah from Jebel Ali in the morning is preferrable.

Long working hours? Depends on your trade. I'm a QS and work 45 hours a week over 5 days. The 2-day weekend came into force in September, and most companies (I know) adhere to it now. If you come and work for a local contractor, however, be prepared to sell your soul and never see your family again.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Little Jimmy, thanks for the response.
I'm a Contracts Manager here in UK working for Major Contractor, so i guess i'd be looking for Senior PM role.
I like the sound of 5 days - got any jobs going?!! lol
Are all areas of Construction working 5 days only?
I'm heartened by your thoughts - i'll give them some careful consideration.
I have mentioned to the Agency that i'm using that i'd be keen to have a weeks holiday wherever might look most promising, just to make sure we like the idea of the place.
Any recommendations as to who might be good to work for - vacancies, contacts etc.? Who do you work for?
I greatly appreciate your help.

Regards,
Chris
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:07 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by twistopher
Hey Little Jimmy, thanks for the response.
I'm a Contracts Manager here in UK working for Major Contractor, so i guess i'd be looking for Senior PM role.
I like the sound of 5 days - got any jobs going?!! lol
Are all areas of Construction working 5 days only?
I'm heartened by your thoughts - i'll give them some careful consideration.
I have mentioned to the Agency that i'm using that i'd be keen to have a weeks holiday wherever might look most promising, just to make sure we like the idea of the place.
Any recommendations as to who might be good to work for - vacancies, contacts etc.? Who do you work for?
I greatly appreciate your help.

Regards,
Chris
It depends a great deal on what kind of lifestyle you want. If you want something more peaceful, then go for Oman.

If you want nightlife, then Dubai.

If you want the amenities of Dubai (eg for weekends) but somewhere a bit less hellish in terms of traffic and construction, try Abu Dhabi.

I can't think of a reason to pick Doha at the moment, except a massive paypacket. It's not that I dislike Doha, just that there's not a lot there compared to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.

The other issue with Doha is that most work visas aren't multientry: this means that you cannot leave the country without your employer's permission. So if your employer was an arse, or awol, or you suddenly planned a last minute weekend away, you'd be stuck in Doha. I have no clue if the Embassy could even get you out if you had a sudden family emergency back home and you couldn't get your employer's signature in time. In effect, you are enserfed under Qatar labour law. You are not free to come and go as you please, unless you manage to get a multientry visa. Not all companies will agree to issue these.