Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help ...Looking for a compound in Jeddah

Help ...Looking for a compound in Jeddah

Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:19 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help ...Looking for a compound in Jeddah

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
cause lamb is good, pork is good, sausages is good, chicken is good

horses are for riding and dogs and cats are for stroking
says who? Pork is not good where I am by the way...
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
says who?
errr me, in my opinion obviously
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:25 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

errr me, in my opinion obviously
ok...but can you see the point I am trying to make...it's not a fixed thing, what animals are for eating and which are not. Not that I would jump for joy when presented with cat or dogmeat.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

ok...but can you see the point I am trying to make...it's not a fixed thing, what animals are for eating and which are not. Not that I would jump for joy when presented with cat or dogmeat.
yea i see your point. I think its down to cultural and personal tastes.

Not all Koreans eat dogs but there is a large precentage that obviously think it is normal.

Just like there are people with views that eating any meat is wrong etc.

Its a very personal subject
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

ok.....cat among the pidgeons and all that...

But what makes a cat or a dog so different from a little lamb or a fluffy bunny? Horsemeat is eaten as well...cows, little babes, cute chickens...
And I am not talking about the way they are being slaughtered, that should be done as 'humane' as possible....
You are quite right, but being part of a farming family I know there is a big difference in the intellect of a dog and that of a lamb/sheep (pigs on the other hand are very very clever). Which is why you see dogs herding sheep and not sheep herding dogs ...... I would be more than happy to have a dog in my house or even a cat but might wonder about a sheep! Oh and rabbits are not clever at all.... The chinese like their chickens actually and they often live with them in their houses. They also suck out the mucus from their beaks when they have a cold. Nice.

Horses, damn shame what happens to them at the end of their lives but at least they get the chance of one. They turn into glue or meat for humans or dogs. They often arrive from the UK into Europe in the most awful state before being killed.

I think all animals should be treated with respect. If on our food chain then they should be killed quickly without pain and no stress. I will never think killing and breeding an animal for its fur is acceptable though.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

yea i see your point. I think its down to cultural and personal tastes.

Not all Koreans eat dogs but there is a large precentage that obviously think it is normal.

Just like there are people with views that eating any meat is wrong etc.

Its a very personal subject
It is you are right, it is a very personal subject and MH is right, as long as it is humane, that is all we can ask for.

Its also funny how quickly culture can disappear when $$$ is in the picture. Culture often means very very little.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in china, so i have seen the whole thing first hand. I have seen kiitens being skinned, turtles killed for their meat, snakes skinned, alligators/crocodiles having their heads chopped off, baby deer with broken legs so they would not run away.In China they only eat a particular breed of dog and only in winter.
I also know of pigs, chickens, lambs, turkeys and cows being held and slaughtered under appaling (sp?) circumstances in the West.

Sucks, but hey, I still eat meat, and wear leather, as many others do.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:37 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Lexylou
You are quite right, but being part of a farming family I know there is a big difference in the intellect of a dog and that of a lamb/sheep (pigs on the other hand are very very clever). Which is why you see dogs herding sheep and not sheep herding dogs ...... I would be more than happy to have a dog in my house or even a cat but might wonder about a sheep! Oh and rabbits are not clever at all.... The chinese like their chickens actually and they often live with them in their houses. They also suck out the mucus from their beaks when they have a cold. Nice.

Horses, damn shame what happens to them at the end of their lives but at least they get the chance of one. They turn into glue or meat for humans or dogs. They often arrive from the UK into Europe in the most awful state before being killed.

I think all animals should be treated with respect. If on our food chain then they should be killed quickly without pain and no stress. I will never think killing and breeding an animal for its fur is acceptable though.

Ok...so some are more intelligent than others...shouldn't the less intelligent ones be the ones that need our protection even more, or does 'stupid' equals worthless...Just a thought....
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

It is you are right, it is a very personal subject and MH is right, as long as it is humane, that is all we can ask for.

Its also funny how quickly culture can disappear when $$$ is in the picture. Culture often means very very little.

That is the case with so many things in society in general. Unfortunately $$$ rules the world and people try to hide behind their culture,

I am not going to be a hypocrite here, i spent my youth working after school and weekends at Glamis castle on the estate taking part in the grouse and pheasant shooting. For me it is a sport and i wont hide behind that or deny that, and obviously for the estate it is about the $$$.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok...so some are more intelligent than others...shouldn't the less intelligent ones be the ones that need our protection even more, or does 'stupid' equals worthless...Just a thought....
Its not really worth the debate..... all I am saying is all animals if being killed for whatever reason should be done so with as little pain and stress as possible.

They eat dog in lots of countries actually and they don't all kill them in awful ways. But in some countries they do it in the most awful way, depending on how you want your meat..... long slow death produces hormones that change the way the meat is etc.... If people want to eat dog then go ahead.... just don't eat mine or I will kill you and feed you to the pigs.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:49 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought much the same thing. All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. Cute and intelligent animals are the most equal.

If it was purely $$$, then there would be no need for the torture. Does the torture bit equate to more $$$? I don't think so. The torture bit is a cultural thing, IMO. That's not to say it's right. Not at all. We just can't expect to be able to impose our western sensibilities and judgements on these people because what they do upsets us. Do we try to educate them? What is education? Who says what is wrong and what is right?

I mean, I see enough human on human cruelty in the world. We can't even love our own species.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Its not really worth the debate..... all I am saying is all animals if being killed for whatever reason should be done so with as little pain and stress as possible.

They eat dog in lots of countries actually and they don't all kill them in awful ways. But in some countries they do it in the most awful way, depending on how you want your meat..... long slow death produces hormones that change the way the meat is etc.... If people want to eat dog then go ahead.... just don't eat mine or I will kill you and feed you to the pigs.
In Malaysia they eat monkey brains while the monkey's head is clamped thight under a hole cut in the table.The animal is alive while this is done. It is illegal, but still happens.:curse:
Makes you think about the sanity of some people.
Then again, we throw lobsters and crabs into boiling water while they are still alive.........
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I thought much the same thing. All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. Cute and intelligent animals are the most equal.

If it was purely $$$, then there would be no need for the torture. Does the torture bit equate to more $$$? I don't think so. The torture bit is a cultural thing, IMO. That's not to say it's right. Not at all. We just can't expect to be able to impose our western sensibilities and judgements on these people because what they do upsets us. Do we try to educate them? What is education? Who says what is wrong and what is right?

I mean, I see enough human on human cruelty in the world. We can't even love our own species.
So what are you saying then? people sit back and do nothing? let animals become extinct, no protection for those in danger? as its all down to $$ and culture.... Let them hunt the whales so there are none left for our grandchildren to see?

It would be a far worse world we would live in if everyone just thought, 'to hell with it'

oh and if it comes down to the cute factor.... have you ever seen new born lambs play together in a field.... there is nothing more cute and adorable.

So many 'other' cultures grasp every aspect of western culture that they can. When it suits them. Its fine for some aspects of their culture to be thrown to the wind but not for others.

I was told that the reason they skin them alive is that they have a large amount of fur to get each day and the process of killing the dog or cat actually takes time and sometimes may damage the fur and yes also because they don't give a rats ass about the pain inflicted. Its a numbers game.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
In Malaysia they eat monkey brains while the monkey's head is clamped thight under a hole cut in the table.The animal is alive while this is done. It is illegal, but still happens.:curse:
Makes you think about the sanity of some people.
Then again, we throw lobsters and crabs into boiling water while they are still alive.........
yes its awful. I told my husband about that he could not believe it.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes its awful. I told my husband about that he could not believe it.
The
'seafood" or the monkeys????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.