Reload this Page >

Help to avoid another sleepless night for me in the UK plse

Help to avoid another sleepless night for me in the UK plse

Old May 10th 2011, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

welshmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help to avoid another sleepless night for me in the UK plse

Sherri,

Thank you ever so much for the spreadsheet, that is really useful for me and I like to keep the financial side in order (it is so easy to get carried away with setup costs etc) and you have helped me immensely with all your hard work, thank you for sharing. No excuses for not starting as I mean to go on.

And To All

I will sleep this evening! Thank all so much for your valuable input and the dead is done !
Old May 11th 2011, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

you're welcome maaam siiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old May 11th 2011, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshmum
Sherri,

Thank you ever so much for the spreadsheet, that is really useful for me and I like to keep the financial side in order (it is so easy to get carried away with setup costs etc) and you have helped me immensely with all your hard work, thank you for sharing. No excuses for not starting as I mean to go on.

And To All

I will sleep this evening! Thank all so much for your valuable input and the dead is done !
I just love your typos............
Old May 11th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

As most of the others have said. You will be fine on that deal. Also, the price of villas are good, depending where you want to live, a 5 bedroom villa at "the Villas" are going for 140,000 with a pool. Do remember that it is difficult to get school places..so I hear. I think you need to get the school 1st and then plan to live midway between school and DH's work.
Some of the others can help you with advise for schools.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:13 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherri
Agreed with others, you should be fine.

You can use the attached spreadsheet to ascertain ballpark figure for your savings.
love the fact that you have zero'd the booze column prior to posting.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:38 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great deal. Take it.

I work my n*ts off for far less than that and consider myself on a good deal.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:27 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

It is a good deal. The allowances are very good - you will find a decent place to live and not have to top up too much on the school fees. The whole family will be covered on the medical insurance. You will need a car, even if buses are available to you. I would suggest NOT running out and buying shiny new wheels until you see how the land lies first.

Get everything in writing and check, check, triple check the contract before signing. Make sure you get the school fees up front - my company tried to give me mine at the end of a full year "because you are woman." Also, make sure they are paying the relocation costs and you are not paying then claiming back. It's expensive to come out here and set up - so anything you don't have to pay is really helpful as sometimes it takes a considerable amount of time to get reimbursed.

Also, what's the notice period? Get the longest one you can wangle. This is an uncertain place and having a longer notice period helps if things go tits up.

Research the company thoroughly.

People do get into trouble here - my work colleague ran. But he did the stupid expat thing of getting a huge housing loan, a brand new car for him and the same for the wife, maxed out three credit cards and then took out another
personal loan. Credit is so easy to get here that people get a bit dazzled - your card arrives and, JEEZ, you can buy a fancy new car with it immediately. And banks ring you offering credit cards all the time.

Good luck and sleep well.
Old May 13th 2011, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander
love the fact that you have zero'd the booze column prior to posting.
Old May 14th 2011, 7:44 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Ps thanks for the spreadsheet, we have stolen this and finding it very useful.

Cheers.
Old May 14th 2011, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander
Ps thanks for the spreadsheet, we have stolen this and finding it very useful. Cheers.
You're welcome Pal. I’m glad the spreadsheet was of help.

I understand the anxiety many of us encounter when it comes to negotiating the package with prospective employers here particularly if you are well qualified and already have a decent job and reasonable lifestyle at home.

Despite months of lurking on the net/bored I didn’t get it right with regards to my own package. A few weeks after arriving here the ‘Net Income’ part on my spreadsheet suddenly didn’t look too appealing – I know, I know I should’ve paid attention to DM* and a few others.

I used the below letter to get my packaged ‘fixed’ and finally slept well last night when my request was accepted as desired. Here is the letter if someone find themselves in a similar situation, I am sure many would be able to write better than this – I had to structure it to make it easier for my boss to digest and to fit in with his mind-set.

.................................................. .....................
E-mail:
Subject: A modest request

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

I am wondering if you may possibly consider adjusting my annual remuneration package to one of the suggested packages on Tab 2 on the attached spreadsheet. The net affect on the existing remuneration package would be an adjustment of only $3287.67 per month, which hopefully would not prove too challenging. Please see attached spreadsheet highlighting key aspects behind this request.

Rational:
I have viewed numerous properties (mostly pigeon holes) in various localities, transportation options, schooling for my children, monthly household expenditure and the usual necessities etc since arriving here and have come to the conclusion that the above adjustment to my agreed remuneration would as a minimum give me and family a little flexibility to manage the household without going through financial hardship whilst maintaining the quality of life we parted from to have a successful tenure with XXXXXXXXXX.

I must stress on the fact that I didn’t join XXXXXXXXX for a financial gain or a honeymoon period on the Sand pit but I hugely respect your trust to offer this important role and I value this opportunity as a progressive relationship that would pay dividends in future. Also, usually the expats head to these parts to at least save a figure that equates to the annual tax they were paying back home but the attached spreadsheet is a testament to my intention to build a successful and lasting career with XXXXXXXXXXX.

I hope that the above request does not come across as an irrational attempt to negotiate on existing terms, I fully understand that any adjustments are discretionary on your part and I will fully accept any outcome without any feeling of resentment.

To this end, I would ensure that you feel and receive a reasonable return on your investment.

Appreciate your continued support and apologies for the length of this email.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this matter.

Many Thanks

.................................................. .............................................

*just messing about - I know you hate this expatwoman bullshit, btw DM = Dear Millhouse

Last edited by sherri; May 14th 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old May 15th 2011, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the anxiety many of us encounter when it comes to negotiating the package with prospective employers here particularly if you are well qualified and already have a decent job and reasonable lifestyle at home.

Despite months of lurking on the net/bored I didn’t get it right with regards to my own package. A few weeks after arriving here the ‘Net Income’ part on my spreadsheet suddenly didn’t look too appealing – I know, I know I should’ve paid attention to DM* and a few others.

I used the below letter to get my packaged ‘fixed’ and finally slept well last night when my request was accepted as desired. Here is the letter if someone find themselves in a similar situation, I am sure many would be able to write better than this – I had to structure it to make it easier for my boss to digest and to fit in with his mind-set.

E-mail:

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

I am wondering if you may possibly consider adjusting my annual remuneration package to one of the suggested packages on Tab 2 on the attached spreadsheet. The net affect on the existing remuneration package would be an adjustment of only $3287.67 per month, which hopefully would not prove too challenging. Please see attached spreadsheet highlighting key aspects behind this request.

Rational:
I have viewed numerous properties (mostly pigeon holes) in various localities, transportation options, schooling for my children, monthly household expenditure and the usual necessities etc since arriving here and have come to the conclusion that the above adjustment to my agreed remuneration would as a minimum give me and family a little flexibility to manage the household without going through financial hardship whilst maintaining the quality of life we parted from to have a successful tenure with XXXXXXXXXX.

I must stress on the fact that I didn’t join XXXXXXXXX for a financial gain or a honeymoon period on the Sand pit but I hugely respect your trust to offer this important role and I value this opportunity as a progressive relationship that would pay dividends in future. Also, usually the expats head to these parts to at least save a figure that equates to the annual tax they were paying back home but the attached spreadsheet is a testament to my intention to build a successful and lasting career with XXXXXXXXXXX.

I hope that the above request does not come across as an irrational attempt to negotiate on existing terms, I fully understand that any adjustments are discretionary on your part and I will fully accept any outcome without any feeling of resentment.

To this end, I would ensure that you feel and receive a reasonable return on your investment.

Many Thanks

.................................................. .............................................

*just messing about - I know you hate this expatwoman bullshit, btw DM = Dear Millhouse
The net affect on the existing remuneration package would be an adjustment of only $3287.67 per month

It would be quicker to write:

"I intend to spend USD 3287.67 per month on alcohol, so........."
Old May 15th 2011, 4:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I wish my clients were dishing out offers like that.

Take it, but like it's been said; do your research on them first.
Old May 15th 2011, 5:22 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

E-mail:

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Rational:

Many Thanks

Am I having an irony-bypass, or did your employer really agree to pay an extra $39k pa AFTER you'd signed the contract?
Old May 15th 2011, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Am I having an irony-bypass, or did your employer really agree to pay an extra $39k pa AFTER you'd signed the contract?
I was waiting for this question. The short answer is I’ve signed a permanent contract on the 28th April but if you are interested in the detail then here is the tale:

After I received an offer of employment from Dubai (on paper), I had a detailed and an open discussion with my head of function, now ex-boss, back home. I explained him that I am very interested in this opportunity but am concerned that my family may struggle to adjust in Dubai plus I am also not sure how I would react to the change and I need his help. I asked him for a 3 months unpaid special-leave and if all goes well then I would like to extend this to a 4 year career break. He asked for some time to check with his boss, our Finance Director, and after a couple of days accepted my plea with a condition that I need to find and recruit a temp for my position. I then contacted, now my current boss, and explained him that I am pleased to accept his offer but I want to join the firm as a contractor for three months and if we are both happy with each other then we can sign a more permanent deal. He obviously asked me a few things and questioned my commitment, also mentioned the 3 month probation period etc. I explained him that although family and I are delighted and looking forward to moving but we have never lived in another country before so not sure how we will react and I don’t want to waste his time and money if I resigned after a few months. I waited for 3 weeks for an answer and told missus to start unpacking as her DH has wasted the opportunity. Then the unexpected happened and I received an email to sign a contractor agreement. The company sorted everything and I came here with family.

After a month, we had a dinner together (boss & I) and I convinced him that family and I feel that we can adjust here so we should sign a permanent contract so I can get on with renting a place, schooling etc. The next morning I dropped the bombshell by requesting him to adjust my remuneration package which after some resistance he accepted. This entire shenanigan for little money to spend on alcohol – god I hate drinking

In reality, I am lucky to have worked for a very understanding boss and then recruited by another kind bloke. Also, knowing your stuff and value and skill to negotiate diplomatically helps too – thanks to life in Banking.
Old May 15th 2011, 9:09 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I was waiting for this question. The short answer is I’ve signed a permanent contract on the 28th April but if you are interested in the detail then here is the tale:

After I received an offer of employment from Dubai (on paper), I had a detailed and an open discussion with my head of function, now ex-boss, back home. I explained him that I am very interested in this opportunity but am concerned that my family may struggle to adjust in Dubai plus I am also not sure how I would react to the change and I need his help. I asked him for a 3 months unpaid special-leave and if all goes well then I would like to extend this to a 4 year career break. He asked for some time to check with his boss, our Finance Director, and after a couple of days accepted my plea with a condition that I need to find and recruit a temp for my position. I then contacted, now my current boss, and explained him that I am pleased to accept his offer but I want to join the firm as a contractor for three months and if we are both happy with each other then we can sign a more permanent deal. He obviously asked me a few things and questioned my commitment, also mentioned the 3 month probation period etc. I explained him that although family and I are delighted and looking forward to moving but we have never lived in another country before so not sure how we will react and I don’t want to waste his time and money if I resigned after a few months. I waited for 3 weeks for an answer and told missus to start unpacking as her DH has wasted the opportunity. Then the unexpected happened and I received an email to sign a contractor agreement. The company sorted everything and I came here with family.

After a month, we had a dinner together (boss & I) and I convinced him that family and I feel that we can adjust here so we should sign a permanent contract so I can get on with renting a place, schooling etc. The next morning I dropped the bombshell by requesting him to adjust my remuneration package which after some resistance he accepted. This entire shenanigan for little money to spend on alcohol – god I hate drinking

In reality, I am lucky to have worked for a very understanding boss and then recruited by another kind bloke. Also, knowing your stuff and value and skill to negotiate diplomatically helps too – thanks to life in Banking.
Good on you. 'Cept you're a banker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.