British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   HELLO will be re locating to Dubai August (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hello-will-re-locating-dubai-august-543973/)

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 4:59 am

HELLO will be re locating to Dubai August

Im living in Palm Beach Florida US for past 20 yrs and working as a Major Domo/Butler/Private chef.Initial job searches dont reveal much as to my experiences and online agencies etc offer no clue any suggestions maybee sttart off in the hotel industry? to establish contacts

MrsHaps Jun 19th 2008 5:10 am

Re: HELLO will be re locating to Dubai August

Have you a job offer or are you hoping to arrive here to get a job?

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 5:11 am

No nothing as yet this is my very first enquiry

MrsHaps Jun 19th 2008 5:14 am

sorry.... so you are looking for what... salary expectations or jobs in general?

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 5:20 am

Here in the USA i worked my way up from general houseman for a disabled gentleman and his pets to managing a luxury oceanfront estate acting as major Domo chef etc and travelled to the familys other residences in New york Im 47 and still pretty young but want to be closer to the Uk my salary here is 70,000 USD with many benefits and perks

MrsHaps Jun 19th 2008 5:41 am

Wait for the guys to come on here that know more than i do...

If i am right you would see no where near that wage here for the job you do!

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 5:42 am

Whats the most active time to be on here its 2pm almost uSA time now

MrsHaps Jun 19th 2008 5:49 am

To be honest i used to ask questions when i finished work and could get on the net by which time it was 3 hours ahead. Its nearly 10pm here now, peeps will reply maybe not tomorrow but poss saturday and sunday as tomorrow is the weekend for us! Some peeps are on here 7 days a week! You will cetainly get info over the next few days and it is always helpful! Excellent place to start when needing information! :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 5:52 am

Thanks for your time and help

TBird Jun 19th 2008 5:54 am

If I could afford you I'd have you!!!....not sure really whats available but maybe you should approach some of the big knob companies and sell yourself as a personal conceirge for some ot their top execs.....sorry can't give you a better answer sure someone will be able to help

TBird Jun 19th 2008 5:56 am

.....why don't you approach ricky branson heard he just bought a new island

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 5:58 am

Thank you for your encouragement Im going to find how to make an online cV (Ive never made one) ive met Rod Stewart here in Palm Beach who has lived here as long as i have and he i reported to have bought a larhge share in the Island of scotland in THE WORLD there

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 6:07 am

Todays my first day of actually researching into my intended move and I have a possible other contact whose moved to the polo and equestrian club in Dubai as an executive from over herebut ive many other related questions .Travel wise there are daily flights from Miami via Amsterdam available for under 1000 USD one way which i think is good value

MrsHaps Jun 19th 2008 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Palmbeachbrit (Post 6483226)
Thank you for your encouragement Im going to find how to make an online cV (Ive never made one) ive met Rod Stewart here in Palm Beach who has lived here as long as i have and he i reported to have bought a larhge share in the Island of scotland in THE WORLD there

Hey if you can get a ref from Rod you will be sorted! You could maybe sell yourself to him.... once his place is built!

as for yoru CV, everyones is different but as long as you have the good basics, name, address, qualifications (main thing here) and your employment history you will be fine! Good luck

MrsHaps Jun 19th 2008 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Palmbeachbrit (Post 6483253)
Todays my first day of actually researching into my intended move and I have a possible other contact whose moved to the polo and equestrian club in Dubai as an executive from over herebut ive many other related questions .Travel wise there are daily flights from Miami via Amsterdam available for under 1000 USD one way which i think is good value

You do need to have a good research into living in Dubai.. it is expensive and seems to be rising all the time! Use the search facility on this forum, it is really helpful, i asked questions and used it... endless information!

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 6:16 am

Thank you my main srprise to see that if you are initially renting in Dubai you have to pay the whole yr off in advance im not into that at all and strongly believe as I have done here in the USA there are ways and means

MrsHaps Jun 19th 2008 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Palmbeachbrit (Post 6483296)
Thank you my main srprise to see that if you are initially renting in Dubai you have to pay the whole yr off in advance im not into that at all and strongly believe as I have done here in the USA there are ways and means

that is a big thing but most employers will offer a package of housing, some will pay your electricity, water, internet, school for kids etc... this is why i am saying you have to look into it more closely before booking a flight and coming over.

There are people who share accommodation but again you need to ensure you salarly will be able to cover that and your living.

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 6:35 am

Here on the Island of Palm Beach the norm is that you live on the premises usually a garage appartment or on the property somewhere as I have done for the yrs here

Eva Jun 19th 2008 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Palmbeachbrit (Post 6483359)
Here on the Island of Palm Beach the norm is that you live on the premises usually a garage appartment or on the property somewhere as I have done for the yrs here

Its more Harry Potter accommodation for domestic staff in UAE.....a room under the stairs or space at the back of the garage-shared with the washer dryer.

MrsHaps Jun 19th 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6483395)
Its more Harry Potter accommodation for domestic staff in UAE.....a room under the stairs or space at the back of the garage-shared with the washer dryer.

Hey the maids in Ajman must be fortunate! The maids room we have is really quite spacious! And the washer/dryer is in the kitchen....!

Christ we dont know how lucky we are!

arbroath_abroad Jun 19th 2008 2:04 pm

didnt realise there was such a thing as an island of scotland...

every day is a school day

Inselaffen Jun 19th 2008 4:35 pm

Its unlikely that you will earn as much here as most people in the hotel industry are paid peanuts and come from Asia. You may get something at one of the top hotels though. And they would provide you with staff accomodation.

Try the new Atlantis Hotel. they will need people

Palmbeachbrit Jun 19th 2008 9:51 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions THUS far its 6AM USA time here now and ive got to get to work but will be checking new threads during the day.ive initially esearched decent inexpensive hotels for my initial months stay in Dubai and found some as little as 265 AED per nigh rughly 75 USD any suggestions if I should look for accomodation in any particular area and do i need to look for a rental car rite now as obviously Id like to conserve my means. BY the way i found a fantastic IRISH Pub called the irish village at the Aviation Centre with a yummy looking menu great website check it out!!!!!!

Blue Cat Jun 20th 2008 3:36 am

I would be absolutely amazed if you manage to find a job here in your line of work, as Inse said try the Hotels but you will be lucky to get 7000 dhs a month never mind 70000 Dollars a year. Contact the Burj Al Arab too :thumbsup:

Inselaffen Jun 20th 2008 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6486534)
I would be absolutely amazed if you manage to find a job here in your line of work, as Inse said try the Hotels but you will be lucky to get 7000 dhs a month never mind 70000 Dollars a year. Contact the Burj Al Arab too :thumbsup:

some places like the Burj/Madinat etc do have Europeans in their top positions so there is a slight chance.

they treat their employees like crap though.

maybe worthwhile registering with www.recruitgulf.com

Eeyore Jun 20th 2008 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6486534)
I would be absolutely amazed if you manage to find a job here in your line of work, as Inse said try the Hotels but you will be lucky to get 7000 dhs a month never mind 70000 Dollars a year

I think BC's right. Your US salary would equate to about 21,000 dhs a month, and I would imagine the only people earning that much in the hotel industry here are senior management. If you don't have experience of hotel management at a high level, I honestly don't think you've got a hope in hell of earning anything close to that.

The thing to bear in mind is that despite the image that the country likes to project, Dubai is mostly a low-income economy. The majority of workers here earn 3000 dhs ($800) per month or less.

Seriously, you're much better off staying where you are. For people in your line of work, Dubai can get away with paying peanuts and still attract staff, because those staff come from places in Asia where they get paid less than peanuts.

Let's just say, though, that you did manage to get a job earning 21,000 dhs per month. If you wanted your own apartment (not sharing), you're going to be spending about 10,000 dhs ($2741) per month on a 1-bed place, leaving you about $3000 per month to live on. How does that compare to your situation now? Better, worse, or about the same?

Palmbeachbrit Jun 20th 2008 5:51 am

Thanks for your continuance of helpful info regarding my job search it may be in my best interests to find Executives or wealthy retired or entrepeneurial Europeans buying or building in Dubai wanting to take with them or import a person who can take care of their needs as their used to in the Western world .Here in the USA also a nation of 100% immigrants there are only a few people who can please an ever growing number of younger super wealthy with huge disposable incomes.my ideal goal would be a uS or uk family ,but the hospitality business ie luxury hotel would be the only compatible stepping stone

Eva Jun 20th 2008 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Palmbeachbrit (Post 6486888)
Thanks for your continuance of helpful info regarding my job search it may be in my best interests to find Executives or wealthy retired or entrepeneurial Europeans buying or building in Dubai wanting to take with them or import a person who can take care of their needs as their used to in the Western world .Here in the USA also a nation of 100% immigrants there are only a few people who can please an ever growing number of younger super wealthy with huge disposable incomes.my ideal goal would be a uS or uk family ,but the hospitality business ie luxury hotel would be the only compatible stepping stone

Golly, you are tewibbly Jeeves ain't ya?
Seriously,Where are you from originally?
Do you know the Rosewood Corniche Hotel in Jeddah?They are big on personal
butlers.Ping them an email; also Emirates Palace(Kempinski) in Abu Dhabi worth a go.
I heard some talk that Paul Burrell was considering a move to Dubai;he will surely be looking for quality butlers........

Palmbeachbrit Jun 20th 2008 6:22 am

Well as it hapens Im from Wales originally (where Paul Burell lives) Thank you for those 2 hotel names any suggestions on a good website on how to make a resume?/CV ive never made one in my life my name is Gwyn lol

Eva Jun 20th 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Palmbeachbrit (Post 6486957)
Well as it hapens Im from Wales originally (where Paul Burell lives) Thank you for those 2 hotel names any suggestions on a good website on how to make a resume?/CV ive never made one in my life my name is Gwyn lol

Oh just use a template off Microsoft.
Big up any hunting/shooting/horsemanship skills. Big up professional qualifications-Degrees,Diplomas go down well in UAE and unfortunately sometimes-more kudos re them than actual life experience/practice.
Don't bother spending too much time over the fact you are???
Chevalier du Vin.

If you want to part with big wedge of future earnings,there is always:
http://www.butlersguild.com/index.php

Palmbeachbrit Jun 20th 2008 7:15 am

THANK YOU AGAINall suggestions valuable the Butlers Guild I have known about and can have refernces from people here like Donald Trumps Palm Beach Butler If I hit the right note

Blue Cat Jun 20th 2008 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Palmbeachbrit (Post 6486888)

but why would anyone pay you in the region of 21k to do this when you have no Middle East experience whatsoever and at this point in time wouldn't even know how to set up an internet account, never mind anything else. I can bet you a 1000 USD that even the Ruler and his family don't have European folk to take care of them :( Your wasting your time. If you get a Senior position in a hotel you still won't earn anything like the salary you are expecting too. This is the Middle East not America and it doesn't matter how many documentaries you have seen they aren't the REAL Dubai, trust me.

ScotsExpat Jun 20th 2008 7:19 pm

Someone beat you to it, HELLO has been here for a couple of years!!!

http://www.motivatepublishing.com/li...eCode=ART00440

Blue Cat Jun 20th 2008 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6488456)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PBB have you ever visited Dubai?

Eeyore Jun 20th 2008 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6488445)
This is the Middle East not America and it doesn't matter how many documentaries you have seen they aren't the REAL Dubai, trust me.

I think that's the problem; Dubai PLC's marketing is so good, people think that everyone here is rich and living the life of Riley.

Palmbeachbrit, you really are much better off where you are. Where you live now you have real rights, a modern legal system, proper infrastructure, a true competitive market, uncensored media and internet, and you earn what by Dubai standards is a colossal amount of money for the line of work you're in.

You've also got a better climate - Palm Beach is pleasant year-round, while Dubai becomes horribly hot, dusty and humid in summer.

Out of interest, why exactly are you thinking of moving to Dubai, given that you've already got all of the things that attract Brits to move abroad (sun, sea, sand, cheaper petrol than the UK)?

Blue Cat Jun 20th 2008 10:44 pm

I agree with Eeyore, stay where you are PBB. Dubai PLC should read please look carefully!!!

Eva Jun 21st 2008 4:46 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6488456)

Very drole Sexpat..........

Palmbeachbrit........Why don't you advertise in here:

http://www.lady.co.uk/

Have a look at the adverts.Worldwide recruitment.

TBird Jun 21st 2008 5:43 am

....why don't you look at St Barts, I'm sure you'd find better quality of work there and hey its not such an expensive plane ride from where you are to check it out....

I sadly agree with the comments an advice given above I really feel this is the wrong direction to head in. I think you would be making a crucial mistake.

Blue Cat Jun 26th 2008 1:07 am

it really annoys me when we spend time giving advice and the original poster never bothers to come back :thumbdown:

Madam Medusa Jun 26th 2008 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6505729)
it really annoys me when we spend time giving advice and the original poster never bothers to come back :thumbdown:

i know...though to be fair, i do think we might put some people off, lmao...

MM, xx