Hello Bahrain

Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:54 am
Just Joined

costacofy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello Bahrain

I will be moving to Bahrain soon and would like to bring more information to the negotiating table with my future employer. I'd like to be much more likely to walk away with expatriation extras.

I am researching the destination so I can predict what costs I could incur.

- Accommodation (budget is 500 BHD): best areas? negotiating tips? I will be working near the British Embassy.
- Renting/buying a car
- Pre school for 16 months kid
- Cost of living
- General country advise

Any practical guidline/advise regarding the above would be appreciated:
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Bahrain

Can't help to much, but there's been a few recentish threads that might have some of that info already, so worth a search.

Welcome to BE and good luck with the negotiations!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:22 am
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

The first thing you need to decide is whether you want to be living an apartment, stand alone villa or compound villa. BD500 is on the low side for getting something reasonable. Because of the problems in Bahrain a lot of expats have vacated villas and apartments in the more troubled areas. You need to be aware of which areas your family will feel comfortable in. Would recommend Mahooz, Zinj, Adliya as being possible options for you.

Don't have any recent experience on pre schooling so can't help there.

Doesn't hurt to rent a car for the first month or two. You should be able to pick up a small saloon for about BD150 a month. Once you are settled you would probably be better off buying. I have owned British, German, American and Japanese cars in Bahrain and sadly have to admit that owning something Japanese is the best bet. I personally like the safety of a 4x4 as the driving isn't great, particularly at weekends when visitors arrive from across the causeway.

The cost of living is reasonable and you should find that your money goes as far as it does back in the UK.

General advise is that Bahrain isn't the country it used to be primarily because of the ongoing troubles. Tear gas and unofficial road blocks are common, particularly at weekends. Lots of expats have moved away but it remains relatively safe. The economy is sufferring so make sure that you are working for a financially sound company with a good reputation. There are far too many sob stories from expats who move to Bahrain and elsewhere in the Gulf and end up not being paid on time or in some cases at all.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

crazyirish is an unknown quantity at this point

hello,are you coming out before the family,if so you need to get into your hired car and drive around the country,it wont take long..lol..best way to save the money is to keep the home finders out of it and negotiate yourself,500 will get you a good 2 bedroom apartment if you look hard enough..sorry our kids are older so cant give advice,we think its more expensive than the uk apart from the petrol....its as safe as you make it....to much media..reminds me of how the outsiders thought of belfast...no doubt some will have something different to say!!!! good luck...join in with life and you should love it ..we do..