Guide for Riyadh

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Gmakoshi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Guide for Riyadh

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
As a Saudi you will find many westerners will be wary of inviting you anywhere that may involve booze/dancing/usual stuff - simply because they feel you will grass them all up to the muttawa if someone annoys you. Harsh but true [and for good reason].

Embassy parties etc are different as they can do what the hell they like.
I'm as freaked out of muttawa as the next person, probable more so since I don't have the protection of being a westerner. I'm honestly just looking for some suggestions on where I can spend time with my fiance while he's here. Like I said, he's american and this is his first visit and I REALLY do not want it to end up with an exchange with muttawa!! But I don't want to hole up in the house either..I'd like to show him around...go out. I've been gone for 5 years...so I really don't know where is 'safe' to go anymore. Suggestions..input..would be great.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

eeemmm good question this one as it is and will be very awkward for you to get around, more so with the standard of driving around here,
The police do set up routine road check points, so you could be in trouble that way if you were found both in the same taxi.

The muttawa are these days keeping a low profile compaired to some years ago.
i am not too sure if they pay a visit to the top of the range eating places.

The hash would be a good way to meet up and its fairly safe.

A lot of compound managers do not allow in middle eastern people i know my compound manager certainly will not allow in, so again access for soicial evenings will be a challenge for you both.

9 times out of 10 you may never get caught, !! but the number 10 time!!!!!! and its oft to the jail.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gmakoshi
I'm as freaked out of muttawa as the next person, probable more so since I don't have the protection of being a westerner. I'm honestly just looking for some suggestions on where I can spend time with my fiance while he's here. Like I said, he's american and this is his first visit and I REALLY do not want it to end up with an exchange with muttawa!! But I don't want to hole up in the house either..I'd like to show him around...go out. I've been gone for 5 years...so I really don't know where is 'safe' to go anymore. Suggestions..input..would be great.

a friend of mine, Arabic girl, took a guy her husband had hired to Ikea, on her husbands orders, Muttaween caught them, she was in jail for 2 days, husband got a prince to get her out, the guy was in jail for 3 months, got flogged and then deported.
Just so you know......

Since you are Saudi, I suppose wasta is the thing you need to use to do what you want.
In my compoun a few Saudis were allowed, the ones the manager knew personally...until one Westerner got caught with a Saudi girl at the checkpoint to the compound, that little incident closed down all fun activities for a VERY long time....i think it was a lesson learned for many compounds.

Last edited by Alexa; Feb 23rd 2010 at 12:34 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:40 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gmakoshi
We'd like to go out to restuarants...are some less 'risky' (for lack of a better word) than others?
No. I even have friends who've been harrassed at Kingdom Tower's restaurants.

Take your father if you can...
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Gmakoshi is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I will try and take my dad to be safe...so much for romance :-/

My fiance is 30yr old (like I said, he's American) he's going to be here for a week ,starting March 2, and while I'd love to show him around this city and spend all day with him it's looking like that's not going to be an option.

If anyone on here is of that age group..preferably a FUN,OUTGOING GUY that wouldn't mind showing him around/taking him out one or 2 nights while he's here, send me a message.

He's a 30yr proffesional from New Mexico,USA..very outgoing,laidback..kind of a smart ass :-P in the best way

Let me know.

Thanks for all the help!