going to Al Ain

Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:57 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,839
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default going to Al Ain

Dear All

I have my folks over from the UK and was thinking of taking them to Al Ain (since everyone says its really nice blah blah) for the day....does anyone know what there is to see in Al Ain other than the frigging malls?
mission is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:01 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Al Ain

the mountain and the zoo (or is the zoo closed at the mo?)
admon is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:55 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,839
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Al Ain

Originally Posted by admon View Post
the mountain and the zoo (or is the zoo closed at the mo?)
Ah cheers admon...by the way i've just been catching up on some of the threads....mate you seem to be getting some bashing...whats with that...ur comments dont seem out of place.
mission is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:23 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Al Ain

Originally Posted by mission View Post
Ah cheers admon...by the way i've just been catching up on some of the threads....mate you seem to be getting some bashing...whats with that...ur comments dont seem out of place.
usual bandwagon jumpers..

most of its harmless fun though, I must say.
admon is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:29 am
  #5  
banned
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,609
commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Al Ain

Admon,

Your tone will no longer be tolerated.

The forum does not have any place for sarcasm.

To the O/P. Go to jebel Hafeet while your their..
commander is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:42 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,839
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Al Ain

Originally Posted by commander View Post
Admon,

Your tone will no longer be tolerated.

The forum does not have any place for sarcasm.

To the O/P. Go to jebel Hafeet while your their..
Commander, cheers for the infor, much appreciated. By the way what exactly is 'Jebel Hafeet'
mission is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:43 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Al Ain

Originally Posted by mission View Post
Commander, cheers for the infor, much appreciated. By the way what exactly is 'Jebel Hafeet'
passes for a mountain.. ..just

as for you commander, on yer bike..
admon is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:21 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Al Ain

Originally Posted by mission View Post
Commander, cheers for the infor, much appreciated. By the way what exactly is 'Jebel Hafeet'
"the mountain"
busybee2 is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:05 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
soukie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,632
soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Al Ain

The Al Ain Palace National Museum is worth visiting.

http://www.worldarab.net/content/al-...ational-museum
soukie is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:17 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Al Masoudi
Posts: 255
shammy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: going to Al Ain

Originally Posted by mission View Post
Dear All

I have my folks over from the UK and was thinking of taking them to Al Ain (since everyone says its really nice blah blah) for the day....does anyone know what there is to see in Al Ain other than the frigging malls?
Right, from an Al Ainian.......
If you are coming for the day, go up to the Jebel, to the Mercure hotel and do Friday BBQ lunch, if you have kids they have a waterslide and pool, if you don't they have a bar in the pool - food good, and views can be amazing, and the drive up ( and down) is interesting to say the least!. Al Ain Museum is worth a look, as is the Jahilli Fort ( Opposite the Rotana Hotel) It has a permanent Wilfred Thesiger display which is really interesting, loads of his photo's etc. There are several working oasis - you just drive into them and see how they work - falages and all, you can get out of the car and wander aroung the farms. Bring your passports and go across the Omani border to Buraimi, and to the market there, full of amazing stuff - both the food side, dried herbs and spices, and old silver jewelry, ancient guns(!!), etc - a great place to buy the souveniers for a fraction of the price. You just drive up to the Hilli border post and tell them you are going to the market - they don't stamp the passports, and you never actually go through the Omani border, on return they look at the passports, but again don't stamp them, No probs with going through on a holiday visa. The camel souk is interesting, it is behind the Bawadi mall, as is the animal souk, which is near the Al Ain oasis - looks like something out of the middle ages - not for the faint of heart though. There is also Sheik Zayed's fort which is on Al Ain street, again, worth a look. Be aware that Al Ain is the city of roundabouts, however it is very pretty, and green! PM me if you want any more detailed info or directions.
Shammy
shammy is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:45 pm
  #11  
If I have to explain...
 
Roadking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Where ever the road takes me
Posts: 3,999
Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Al Ain

Originally Posted by shammy View Post
Right, from an Al Ainian.......
If you are coming for the day, go up to the Jebel, to the Mercure hotel and do Friday BBQ lunch, if you have kids they have a waterslide and pool, if you don't they have a bar in the pool - food good, and views can be amazing, and the drive up ( and down) is interesting to say the least!. Al Ain Museum is worth a look, as is the Jahilli Fort ( Opposite the Rotana Hotel) It has a permanent Wilfred Thesiger display which is really interesting, loads of his photo's etc. There are several working oasis - you just drive into them and see how they work - falages and all, you can get out of the car and wander aroung the farms. Bring your passports and go across the Omani border to Buraimi, and to the market there, full of amazing stuff - both the food side, dried herbs and spices, and old silver jewelry, ancient guns(!!), etc - a great place to buy the souveniers for a fraction of the price. You just drive up to the Hilli border post and tell them you are going to the market - they don't stamp the passports, and you never actually go through the Omani border, on return they look at the passports, but again don't stamp them, No probs with going through on a holiday visa. The camel souk is interesting, it is behind the Bawadi mall, as is the animal souk, which is near the Al Ain oasis - looks like something out of the middle ages - not for the faint of heart though. There is also Sheik Zayed's fort which is on Al Ain street, again, worth a look. Be aware that Al Ain is the city of roundabouts, however it is very pretty, and green! PM me if you want any more detailed info or directions.
Shammy
Good post, however, suggest breaking it up to make it easier to read. Some good info there, just not easy to see.
Roadking is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.