British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   going to Al Ain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/going-al-ain-598952/)

mission Mar 21st 2009 6:57 am

going to Al Ain

Dear All

I have my folks over from the UK and was thinking of taking them to Al Ain (since everyone says its really nice blah blah) for the day....does anyone know what there is to see in Al Ain other than the frigging malls?

admon Mar 21st 2009 7:01 am

Re: going to Al Ain

the mountain and the zoo (or is the zoo closed at the mo?)

mission Mar 21st 2009 7:55 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7403509)
the mountain and the zoo (or is the zoo closed at the mo?)

Ah cheers admon...by the way i've just been catching up on some of the threads....mate you seem to be getting some bashing...whats with that...ur comments dont seem out of place.:unsure:

admon Mar 21st 2009 8:23 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 7403594)
Ah cheers admon...by the way i've just been catching up on some of the threads....mate you seem to be getting some bashing...whats with that...ur comments dont seem out of place.:unsure:

usual bandwagon jumpers..

most of its harmless fun though, I must say.

commander Mar 21st 2009 8:29 am

Admon,

Your tone will no longer be tolerated.

The forum does not have any place for sarcasm.

To the O/P. Go to jebel Hafeet while your their..

mission Mar 21st 2009 8:42 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7403647)
Admon,

Your tone will no longer be tolerated.

The forum does not have any place for sarcasm.

To the O/P. Go to jebel Hafeet while your their..

Commander, cheers for the infor, much appreciated. By the way what exactly is 'Jebel Hafeet':huh:

admon Mar 21st 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 7403671)
Commander, cheers for the infor, much appreciated. By the way what exactly is 'Jebel Hafeet':huh:

passes for a mountain.. ..just

as for you commander, on yer bike..

busybee2 Mar 21st 2009 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 7403671)

"the mountain":rofl:

soukie Mar 21st 2009 4:05 pm

The Al Ain Palace National Museum is worth visiting.

http://www.worldarab.net/content/al-...ational-museum

shammy Mar 23rd 2009 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 7403504)
Dear All

I have my folks over from the UK and was thinking of taking them to Al Ain (since everyone says its really nice blah blah) for the day....does anyone know what there is to see in Al Ain other than the frigging malls?

Right, from an Al Ainian.......
If you are coming for the day, go up to the Jebel, to the Mercure hotel and do Friday BBQ lunch, if you have kids they have a waterslide and pool, if you don't they have a bar in the pool - food good, and views can be amazing, and the drive up ( and down) is interesting to say the least!. Al Ain Museum is worth a look, as is the Jahilli Fort ( Opposite the Rotana Hotel) It has a permanent Wilfred Thesiger display which is really interesting, loads of his photo's etc. There are several working oasis - you just drive into them and see how they work - falages and all, you can get out of the car and wander aroung the farms. Bring your passports and go across the Omani border to Buraimi, and to the market there, full of amazing stuff - both the food side, dried herbs and spices, and old silver jewelry, ancient guns(!!), etc - a great place to buy the souveniers for a fraction of the price. You just drive up to the Hilli border post and tell them you are going to the market - they don't stamp the passports, and you never actually go through the Omani border, on return they look at the passports, but again don't stamp them, No probs with going through on a holiday visa. The camel souk is interesting, it is behind the Bawadi mall, as is the animal souk, which is near the Al Ain oasis - looks like something out of the middle ages - not for the faint of heart though. There is also Sheik Zayed's fort which is on Al Ain street, again, worth a look. Be aware that Al Ain is the city of roundabouts, however it is very pretty, and green! PM me if you want any more detailed info or directions.
Shammy

Roadking Mar 23rd 2009 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by shammy (Post 7410330)
Right, from an Al Ainian.......
If you are coming for the day, go up to the Jebel, to the Mercure hotel and do Friday BBQ lunch, if you have kids they have a waterslide and pool, if you don't they have a bar in the pool - food good, and views can be amazing, and the drive up ( and down) is interesting to say the least!. Al Ain Museum is worth a look, as is the Jahilli Fort ( Opposite the Rotana Hotel) It has a permanent Wilfred Thesiger display which is really interesting, loads of his photo's etc. There are several working oasis - you just drive into them and see how they work - falages and all, you can get out of the car and wander aroung the farms. Bring your passports and go across the Omani border to Buraimi, and to the market there, full of amazing stuff - both the food side, dried herbs and spices, and old silver jewelry, ancient guns(!!), etc - a great place to buy the souveniers for a fraction of the price. You just drive up to the Hilli border post and tell them you are going to the market - they don't stamp the passports, and you never actually go through the Omani border, on return they look at the passports, but again don't stamp them, No probs with going through on a holiday visa. The camel souk is interesting, it is behind the Bawadi mall, as is the animal souk, which is near the Al Ain oasis - looks like something out of the middle ages - not for the faint of heart though. There is also Sheik Zayed's fort which is on Al Ain street, again, worth a look. Be aware that Al Ain is the city of roundabouts, however it is very pretty, and green! PM me if you want any more detailed info or directions.
Shammy

Good post, however, suggest breaking it up to make it easier to read. Some good info there, just not easy to see.