Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Girlfriend visiting - visa problems??

Girlfriend visiting - visa problems??

Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

boroexile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Girlfriend visiting - visa problems??

Can anyone please give advice, I keep getting conflicting answers on this :-

I'm working out in Dubai on a two year contract and my girlfriend is still living and working in the Uk. She likes her job and with her the way her contract works if she works a bit of flexitime then once every two months she will be able to come over here to visit me for about 10 to 14 days. I thought this would just be a simple matter of buying her a plane ticket from Expedia or similar and picking her up at the airport but then in Gulf News last week it said that if you want to visit you must book either a hotel or be visiting a close blood relative.

Now I've asked about a bit more at work and have been told:

a) this doesn't apply to her as shes a British citizen, she'll just get her passport stamped on entry, no questions asked.

but also rather disturbingly:

b) that she may be stopped and asked who she's staying with and told to provide an address (and if they find its me we could both be in the cack).

My problem is both sides I talked to are adamant they are right and a straw poll of others there is about 50/50, so I'm wondering if theres anyone on here that has/or had a similar situation could shed any light please? I did try to search for this on the forum but didn't come up with anyone in the same sort of situation. Thanks for any info.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of
Default Re: Girlfriend visiting - visa problems??

Hmm... how strange. Tbh, I can't quite see that happening, cos many people come over on a tourist visa on secondment for a week or 3 and live in the company's apartment or villa - neither hotel or relative.

Saying that, my husband's just told me that he was asked where he was staying when he came over on his own and he... just made something up. "Somewhere off Sheik Zayed Road" was what he apparently mumbled to them... and they let him through.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

nothing to worry about at all
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boroexile
Can anyone please give advice, I keep getting conflicting answers on this :-

I'm working out in Dubai on a two year contract and my girlfriend is still living and working in the Uk. She likes her job and with her the way her contract works if she works a bit of flexitime then once every two months she will be able to come over here to visit me for about 10 to 14 days. I thought this would just be a simple matter of buying her a plane ticket from Expedia or similar and picking her up at the airport but then in Gulf News last week it said that if you want to visit you must book either a hotel or be visiting a close blood relative.

Now I've asked about a bit more at work and have been told:

a) this doesn't apply to her as shes a British citizen, she'll just get her passport stamped on entry, no questions asked.

but also rather disturbingly:

b) that she may be stopped and asked who she's staying with and told to provide an address (and if they find its me we could both be in the cack).

My problem is both sides I talked to are adamant they are right and a straw poll of others there is about 50/50, so I'm wondering if theres anyone on here that has/or had a similar situation could shed any light please? I did try to search for this on the forum but didn't come up with anyone in the same sort of situation. Thanks for any info.
Your girlfriend from the UK will be visiting you in Dubai??

I see you are a 'boro exile', but have you heard the expression 'carrying coals to Newcastle'??
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
nothing to worry about at all
Cheers BC, so the chances of her getting asked where she's staying are pretty remote do you think? If she does get asked for an address can she put mine?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Dean
Your girlfriend from the UK will be visiting you in Dubai??

I see you are a 'boro exile', but have you heard the expression 'carrying coals to Newcastle'??
The thing is, I see what you're saying but sometimes life isn't that simple.

I care about her a great deal, she's beautiful, funny, caring and thoughtful, for instance she's recording all my favourite shows to sky+ then onto dvd to bring over for me. She's also a great cook and will always cook me my favourite meals when we're together.
Also she's an only child, her old man is minted and last time I saw him he didn't look too well.

Like I say, sometimes you've got to look to the bigger picture....
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers BC, so the chances of her getting asked where she's staying are pretty remote do you think? If she does get asked for an address can she put mine?
yes she just gives your address if asked, let's face it she could be your sister in law or anything couldn't she or even your sister using her married name? it won't be a problem. Just don't get pissed up and shag her on the beach
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes she just gives your address if asked, let's face it she could be your sister in law or anything couldn't she or even your sister using her married name? it won't be a problem. Just don't get pissed up and shag her on the beach

Thanks again, we'll keep well away from deckchairs and coppers I think.

On another subject, do you run the charity bookstore, I remember reading about a few months ago, and is it in AD or Dubai?
I've got about 5 days left in AD before I move into my new place in Dubai and could do with stocking up with some more books. Both the Carrefour and Virgin shop didn't seem to stock too many and I've read most of the ones I brought with me (bloody baggage limits).
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:30 am
Concierge

Thanks again, we'll keep well away from deckchairs and coppers I think.

On another subject, do you run the charity bookstore, I remember reading about a few months ago, and is it in AD or Dubai?
I've got about 5 days left in AD before I move into my new place in Dubai and could do with stocking up with some more books. Both the Carrefour and Virgin shop didn't seem to stock too many and I've read most of the ones I brought with me (bloody baggage limits).
you have just missed a sale, the next one will be in January, I will post details on here once I set a date.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

DiveBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

re the GIRLFRIEND: I spent 3 years on monthly visits to my boyfriend and only got asked a couple of times where I was staying - they were happy to get the area and didnt want the exact address, although sometimes they DID want a phone number, so get her to give them your mobile no...

re the BOOKS: Dubai has well stocked libraries that no one seems to go to! The one in MOE (middle, second floor) is 150AED to join for the year and you can take 10 books out at a time, and they will order stuff for you too.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, I see what you're saying but sometimes life isn't that simple.

I care about her a great deal, she's beautiful, funny, caring and thoughtful, for instance she's recording all my favourite shows to sky+ then onto dvd to bring over for me. She's also a great cook and will always cook me my favourite meals when we're together.
Also she's an only child, her old man is minted and last time I saw him he didn't look too well.

Like I say, sometimes you've got to look to the bigger picture....
Magnificent reply...............

Welcome to The Bored.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:14 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Girlfriend visiting - visa problems??

Originally Posted by The Dean
Magnificent reply...............

Welcome to The Bored.
You're slipping Dean. You forgot to ask if she is any good in the sack and what her phone number is .
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

You're slipping Dean. You forgot to ask if she is any good in the sack and what her phone number is .
and for a photo . . . .

N