Flying Cats

Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:01 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying Cats

No not out the window.....

Has anyone had experience of their cat flying?
As in transporting them on a plane to the UK
or vise versa. I think the british vets in Abu do it all for you not sure about airlines tho.

Are the cats ok by the end of the long flight or is it very traumatic for them?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:56 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying Cats

If you want to get them in on the Pet Travel Scheme, there are only certain routes they're allowed to take:

Abu Dhabi - London Heathrow
British Airways World Cargo, Gulf Air

Al Ain - London Gatwick
Thomsonfly (accompanied animals only)

Dubai - London Gatwick
Emirates Sky Cargo*

Dubai - London Heathrow
British Airways World Cargo, Emirates Sky Cargo, Virgin Atlantic Airways

Dubai - Manchester
Emirates Sky Cargo (accompanied animals only)

See http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...pets/index.htm for far more info.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:02 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
If you want to get them in on the Pet Travel Scheme, there are only certain routes they're allowed to take:

Abu Dhabi - London Heathrow
British Airways World Cargo, Gulf Air

Al Ain - London Gatwick
Thomsonfly (accompanied animals only)

Dubai - London Gatwick
Emirates Sky Cargo*

Dubai - London Heathrow
British Airways World Cargo, Emirates Sky Cargo, Virgin Atlantic Airways

Dubai - Manchester
Emirates Sky Cargo (accompanied animals only)

See http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...pets/index.htm for far more info.
whilst we're on it, anyone have any ideas of my installing some sort of catflsp or way of Santi getting in and out without me opening the door?

We have big glass doors, I remember someone in Oz who had this sort of tunnel thing that went out of the window....anyone?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
whilst we're on it, anyone have any ideas of my installing some sort of catflsp or way of Santi getting in and out without me opening the door?

We have big glass doors, I remember someone in Oz who had this sort of tunnel thing that went out of the window....anyone?
Good grief, let the bastard wait outside for you to open the door. Next you will be buying it tins of Whiskas and other extravaganzas.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:23 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Good grief, let the bastard wait outside for you to open the door. Next you will be buying it tins of Whiskas and other extravaganzas.
he's wakes me up at 4am to get outside, I want him to be able to get out so I can sleep.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Twinkle,

I'm just about to dispatch a much loved but intellectually challenged Himalayan back to the UK (Dubai-Heathrow, British Airways). Not all airlines will take cats with "flat" faces like Persians as they worry about them not being able to breathe properly at altitude. I left all the arrangements to Dubai Kennels and Cattery. Probably not the cheapest option (about 8,000Dhs- he could have just had a business class ticket for that!) but they are very professional and provide a door to door service.

I'll let you know how he gets on when I get back from the UK at the start of November.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:34 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Twinkle,

I'm just about to dispatch a much loved but intellectually challenged Himalayan back to the UK (Dubai-Heathrow, British Airways). Not all airlines will take cats with "flat" faces like Persians as they worry about them not being able to breathe properly at altitude. I left all the arrangements to Dubai Kennels and Cattery. Probably not the cheapest option (about 8,000Dhs- he could have just had a business class ticket for that!) but they are very professional and provide a door to door service.

I'll let you know how he gets on when I get back from the UK at the start of November.
Thanks I have two to ship back it looks like! Unless I get a job and can stay here but then need a flat share with someone who likes cats...
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Twinkle, and anybody else who is interested:

I've just flown a rather intellectually challenged Himalayan (bit like a Persian) back using Dubai Kennels and Cattery and British Airways. Only BA would take him because he has a flat face and some airlines worry about him being able to breathe during the flight- the hold is pressurised but it is at the same altitude as the cabin, about 7,000ft. I said he was from the Himalayas for crying out loud, 7,000ft is nothing, but they wouldn't budge.

Anyway, Dubai Kennels and Cattery collected him from our door in Dubai and a few days later we collected him from the animal reception centre at Heathrow. I expected an horrendous paper chase but in fact it only took 5 minutes and one signature. He was fine after the flight, and the 3 hour car journey Northwards. He was off his food for a couple of days but apparently that is quite normal and he was soon tucking into a tin of tuna. Apparently cats don't get jet lag so he is probably a better globe trotter than I am.

The Cattery fixed him up with a wooden carry box (not one of those wimpy plastic things) which looks like it could withstand a nuclear attack so the chances of anything happening in transit must be pretty slim.

The total cost was about 8,000Dhs. You could do it cheaper if you did it all yourself but frankly it isn't worth the grief. Much better to leave it to the experts- they will even deliver to your door in the UK for an extra couple of hundred pounds.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:41 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Flying Cats

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
Have you been taking your medication?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
No not out the window.....

As in transporting them on a plane to the UK
or vise versa. I think the british vets in Abu do it all for you not sure about airlines tho.

Are the cats ok by the end of the long flight or is it very traumatic for them?
I am sure Dr. Wyness of the British Vetinerary Clinic, Abu Dhabi ,can answer all your questions, in fact I know he can!